IE8 vs westone 4
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

torchwood1203

Head-Fier
So due to some stupid accident, I broke my pair of IE8 =(
So now I'm on the hunt.again for another pair of IEM
Right now I can't decide getting another pair of ie8 or grab westone 4, I used to own westone 3 and really liked it, is westone 4 a lot better than it? I also absolutely love the fit of the westones. I listen to rock mostly, although ie8 bass is really amazing sometimes I just feel it's wide soundstage a bit fake. Should I grab westone instead?

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 23
Personally, the IE8 is my favorite IEM I have ever owned. I recently got the Westone 4 and have not been too pleased with it thus far. I do agree that I have had great fit with the W3/W4/UM3X, better than the IE8's for sure. The W4's sound nothing like the W3's in my experience. While the W3's had very energetic highs and a visceral bass, the W4 has neither. The W4 is pretty neutral sounding. At lower volumes it seems kind of lifeless to me. Out of the W3, UM3X, and W4, I prefer them - in that very order. I think that order kind of shows how fun each is as well. Don't get me wrong, The W4's are very accurate, well built, with great customer support etc, but I probably wouldn't recommend them for someone looking for more of a "fun" sound. I think you would be pretty disappointed going from the IE8 to W4, unless you want a more neutral sound. On top of that, you can snag another pair of IE8's for under 300 from an authorized dealer. Definitely not possible with he W4's. The W4 wins in a few categories: Clarity, fit, separation. But really, unless you think you'll like a more neutral sound, I wouldn't go for it.

You could try other stuff if you want to gamble. There are plenty of good new IEMS out. Maybe find one with a similar sound to the IE8, but a better fit.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I really liked my IE8s, but in the end, they just began to sound too veiled & bass-heavy

Personally, I think the W4 is superior. 

Yeah, the IE8 have gobs of mid-bass, but from my experience with them I found them to have very little sub-bass. Actually, I bet if I were to compare the EX1000 to the IE8 I would probably say the EX1000 has more sub-bass than the IE8, which is supposedly a "bass monster." Eh, I didn't really like them so it's kind of irrelevant.

And back OT, if you want to try something new you could always shoot for something relatively inexpensive, like the EX600 or GR07 (I haven't tried the latter but most people like them.) Moving up the line, you have the FX700, EX1000 and UM3X. All are very nice IEM, but if I were to recommend you an IEM I would say check out the UM3X instead of the W4. From what I've heard, the W4 doesn't have as much bass as the UM3X (which I own) so coming from the IE8 to the W4 my be a pretty drastic departure of that punchy and prominent bass that you're use to in the IE8.

That last part about the W4 was all speculation as I have not had the chance to listen to the W4. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
From what I've heard, the W4 doesn't have as much bass as the UM3X (which I own) so coming from the IE8 to the W4 my be a pretty drastic departure of that punchy and prominent bass that you're use to in the IE8.

That last part about the W4 was all speculation as I have not had the chance to listen to the W4. 

I agree the UM3X has a bit more bass than the W4.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
What about reshelling your triple fi into a custom?

it's not very convenient for me to get a mold for reshelling =(
and actually, technically my ie8 is still working, it's just the tip attachched to the cable came off (the part that stick out from the shell is torn off) =/ so I'm not entirely sure what to do lol

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 23
I will recommend to try Sony EX1000 or JVC FX700 and both are detailed yet fun sounding IEMs for these genres music. The EX1000 offers wide open soundstage great instrument separation, imaging, crisp, clear, very detailed mids and extended highs with deep punchy bass. The bass on JVC FX700 is superb(rich, deep, reverbing) with really wide soundstage, clear detailed mids and extended highs.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
it's not very convenient for me to get a mold for reshelling =(
and actually, technically my ie8 is still working, it's just the tip attachched to the cable came off (the part that stick out from the shell is torn off) =/ so I'm not entirely sure what to do lol

What.
Is that all??

If it's under warranty call up your local service centre. They replaced mine because it was faulty, maybe they'll do the same for you. At worst they might offer to sell you the replacement cable--which would surely cost nothing compared to the price of a brand new earphone.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 23
What.
Is that all??

If it's under warranty call up your local service centre. They replaced mine because it was faulty, maybe they'll do the same for you. At worst they might offer to sell you the replacement cable--which would surely cost nothing compared to the price of a brand new earphone.
jI
Replacement cable wont work, part of the shell came off with the cable, the shell itself is broken ,=/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back