IE8, Phonak, Westone 3 (confused)
Mar 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #31 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, but I've heard the PFE are very detailed but lack in the BASS department when unamped.

They don't lack in bass at all unamped. It's actually too much with the black filters on for me.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Nope, but I've heard the PFE are very detailed but lack in the BASS department when unamped.

Have you tried the Westone 3 or the IE8?

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #33 of 75
PHONAK PFE

Not true...

The Phonak PFE have a good bass extension, especially if you swap into the black filters. I have run them straight out of my DAP.

Phonak PFE Breakdown:

Pros:
exceptional detail / clarity
comfort
ability to alter sound (different filters)
price to sound quality ratio

Cons:
musical separation / soundstage
quality (average at best)
isolation
assortment of tips (compared to what is included in other IEMS)

I will throw another IEM to consider the Klipsch X10 or X5. Both of these provide everything the PFE does, with the added benefit of better musical separation, quality and isolation. The X10 gives you a bit more bass impact compared the the X5. You can catch the Klipsch on sale, or even used on the forum

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the Westone 3 or the IE8?

Yes, at a audio store near me. I personally prefer the smooth laid back sound of the Shure SE530's. There is nothing I would change except those shure olives for the yellow foamies!!
bigsmile_face.gif
I was planning on getting the Westone 3 to replace my SE530s before actually hearing it compared to my 530's and I'm glad I didn't as the Westone 3 does nothing better than my 530s to my ears....well except the HIGHS are more bright and sparkly which is a bit too unnatural in a live concert.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PHONAK PFE

Not true...

The Phonak PFE have a good bass extension, especially if you swap into the black filters. I have run them straight out of my DAP.

Phonak PFE

Pros:
comfort

Cons:
[size=small]BASS Impact[/size]
isolation

Helped ya a little...
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Helped ya a little...
wink.gif

TSTARN06 will come after us (me) for this one... His full time job is agressively promoting the Phonak PFEs to the unsuspecting forum members.

Yes, the PFE's are nice for the money. But, there a number of better alternatives (especially if you look for good deals).

Hey, I like the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro alot better than the PFE's, and the UE are always popping up on the For Sale Section.

The PFE's are just the latest fad (sort of like the way the Sleeks were a year ago). The question is whether they have the staying power

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Yes, at a audio store near me.

That's cool, but you might want to qualify your opinoins a little bit when you suggest to folks what they can expect out of the various phones under discussion. Listening to phones in an audio store is not really sufficient to become acquainted with how various phones sound, IMO, and this applies with particular force in the case of IEM's. Anyway, just a suggestion so that folks are not misled.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #38 of 75
The PFEs are the real deal, in my view. And I am not alone feeling that way.

And what is it with that "forum detective" sig? Sort of silly, no?

Quote:

TSTARN06 will come after us (me) for this one... His full time job is agressively promoting the Phonak PFEs to the unsuspecting forum members.

Yes, the PFE's are nice for the money. But, there a number of better alternatives (especially if you look for good deals).

Hey, I like the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro alot better than the PFE's, and the UE are always popping up on the For Sale Section.

The PFE's are just the latest fad (sort of like the way the Sleeks were a year ago). The question is whether they have the staying power

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Helped ya a little...
wink.gif

Not entirely true. Using the same foamies, PFE's have about 90% odd bass impact of the X10's which would mean by your addition that the SE530's would be around the same level if not even less when it comes to impact.

Again extension, seems ever so slightly greater than the X10's which is no mean feat. Midbass on the other hand, is where these are pissed all over. It's almost non-existent. Some may not like this, others will. Not a problem as with grey filters there is alot of room to EQ lower freq's without distortion, which they do exceptionally well. Which means if I want, they can be eq'd to put them in the same realms as midbass kings such as the fx300 whilst still keeping the same detail since bass decay is a little quicker than even I prefer!

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #40 of 75
tstarn06, dont get work up over him. He's probably just trying to hard to be funny. There's nothing wrong being labeled as a fan but not when being called as shill.

VoLTaG3, hearing at audio store is different than listening to your own pair over long period. U cant properly judge an IEM with half or an hour of listening. I bet u dont even listen to it more than 5 mins each. FYI, IE8 sounds laid back, which make me doubt u ever listen to IE8.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

PHONAK PFE

Not true...

Phonak PFE Breakdown:

Pros:
comfort

Cons:
isolation

I will throw another IEM to consider the Klipsch X10 or X5. Both of these provide everything the PFE does, with the added benefit of better musical separation, quality and isolation. The X10 gives you a bit more bass impact compared the the X5. You can catch the Klipsch on sale, or even used on the forum

Oh, and the X10s do have more bass impact than the PFEs (not necessarily a good thing), but the X10's mids and highs are veiled by comparison. Plus, you mentioned durability, well there is an entire thread on the X10s cable covers splitting, and they have the worst microphonics out there, bar none.

I guess you know about all those issues, though, because you own both the X10 and X5, right? How else can you be recommending them?

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06, dont get work up over him. He's probably just trying to hard to be funny. There's nothing wrong being labeled as a fan but not when being called as shill.

VoLTaG3, hearing at audio store is different than listening to your own pair over long period. [size=small]U cant properly judge an IEM with half or an hour of listening[/size]. I bet u dont even listen to it more than 5 mins each. FYI, IE8 sounds laid back, which make me doubt u ever listen to IE8.

If the IEM's were supposedly better than my Shure SE530's then I would have preferred them right away. Immediately as soon as I heard the IE8's and Westone 3 I wondered what was the fuss about with this earphones...The Westone 3 are comfortable as hell though....

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

If the IEM's were supposedly better than my Shure SE530's then I would have preferred them right away. Immediately as soon as I heard the IE8's and Westone 3 I wondered what was the fuss about with this earphones...The Westone 3 are comfortable as hell though....

Your kidding right?
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #44 of 75
Quote:

PHONAK PFE

Not true...

Phonak PFE Breakdown:

Pros:
comfort

Cons:
isolation

I don't agree with some of your assessment:
- Good but not exceptional clarity with the black filters
- musical separation is excellent / soundstage is great with the grey filter

Quote:

Well, if tstarn is promoting them, you are aggressively downgrading them to unsuspecting forum members. I don't think the PFEs are a fad, I think they are great, just not as good as the IE8s, and I don't need both.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back