IE8, Phonak, Westone 3 (confused)
Mar 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the IEM's were supposedly better than my Shure SE530's then I would have preferred them right away. Immediately as soon as I heard the IE8's and Westone 3 I wondered what was the fuss about with this earphones...The Westone 3 are comfortable as hell though....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your kidding right?
biggrin.gif

voltage's bias and exuberance for the se530s make his comments easy to ignore for me. Although for all we know he owns skullcandy IEMs and is just posting here for entertainment. You get all typed on the internet.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #47 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
voltage's bias and exuberance for the se530s make his comments easy to ignore for me. Although for all we know he owns skullcandy IEMs and is just posting here for entertainment. You get all typed on the internet.

Obviously you aren't ignoring my comments...Anyways I don't feel like arguing over the internet about anything. I just want to tell you the Shure SE530 with the shure olive tips installed on it sounds like muffled garbage. The yellow foamies drastically improves the sound and to my ears makes me prefer the SE530s over all top end universal IEM's...Now If I was hearing the IE8's or W3's after listening to the Shure SE530's with the shure olives then I would in a heart beat choose the IE8 because of it's amazing BASS and soundstage.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #48 of 75
Quote:

Obviously you aren't ignoring my comments...Anyways I don't feel like arguing over the internet about anything. I just want to tell you the Shure SE530 with the shure olive tips installed on it sounds like muffled garbage. The yellow foamies drastically improves the sound and to my ears makes me prefer the SE530s over all top end universal IEM's...Now If I was hearing the IE8's or W3's after listening to the Shure SE530's with the shure olives then I would in a heart beat choose the IE8 because of it's amazing BASS and soundstage.

You are right, ignore is the wrong word. I should have said "make his comments hard to take seriously for me."

And the IE8s have amazing bass, soundstage, treble detail, treble extension, perfect treble quantity for me, and liquid smooth mids!

I would think and hope the se530s have good qualities and do sound good. Do the se530s come with the foamies? If not and the improvement is so dramatic, why not? Wouldn't Shure want to sell more, and throwing in a tip that is a fraction of the cost yet improves the sound as dramatically as you say be a no brainer? Even if they start including them in the middle of their production run, or offer to give them free for people that register. Maybe you should become the product manager for Shure IEMs!

And I agree with toughnut that it is tough to get a proper impression after listening to IEMs for a short period of time, especially the IE8s and W3s, as they both have fit and tip challenges. Sounds like the se530 does also by your comments. So is your assessment fair? Did you give the IE8s and W3 and what ever else you compared them to a fair shake? Doesn't sound like it to me.

But there is nothing wrong with preferring one over another, and I am glad you found something you really like. But as stated before, your exuberance and seeming bias reduce your impact, at least to me.

Back to ignore, yes, definitely the wrong word. Without people like you (with different opinions that are expressed in interesting ways), this place would be boring!

BTW, you ever get a chance to get a pic of your se530s with the IE8s you listened to
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #50 of 75
Again, I think you've nailed it Average_Joe. Take heed voltag3, that's sound advice if you want to reach and project informed opinions, qualified and fair, that will be far more credible.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Shures are nice sounding for shure
biggrin.gif
Not trying to be a jerk, but there is just no way "I" could make a decision on something that quick. I've purchased stuff before that I thought was so-so, only to tweak it and get used to the sound signature and then I ended up really liking it it. Hell I sneaked a listen when I first got my IE8, and thought they sounded like cx300 (bloated and harsh). Now they sound totally different. Plus there is the factor of fit, tips and how different music sounds on a particular iem/can.

I personally hate demoing stuff at the store, I would rather take it home and test it there, and take advantage of the return policy if I hate it. At least your store has the top iems to check out. BB here has really nothing in top tier iems.

I find the process of checking out something new and discovering the in's and out's of it the most fun. Hey different strokes for different folks, I'd save money in the long run if I went on first impressions
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #53 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but whenever you take your new phnoes home it should burn for at least 3-4 days, no ?
if you can return them after such a long time.

All the places I can get iems here have a 30 day return policy, Best buy , Guitar center, comp USA. Plenty of time to see if they fit your needs. It's not like I like returning stuff... I just don't like being stuck with something I don't like. Of course with some stuff, you can pretty much almost get your investment back by selling it here
biggrin.gif
I do try to do my research before I buy, but....

I do really hate it when it's a smaller business, because I know they have to sell that stuff used then and take more of a loss (maybe?) then say BB. I recently returned a Mitubishi TV and got a Pioneer at my local high-fi store. Even though the new TV was more $$ and I've spent tens of thousands there, I still felt bad.

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right, ignore is the wrong word. I should have said "make his comments hard to take seriously for me."

And the IE8s have amazing bass, soundstage, treble detail, treble extension, perfect treble quantity for me, and liquid smooth mids!

I would think and hope the se530s have good qualities and do sound good. Do the se530s come with the foamies? If not and the improvement is so dramatic, why not? Wouldn't Shure want to sell more, and throwing in a tip that is a fraction of the cost yet improves the sound as dramatically as you say be a no brainer? Even if they start including them in the middle of their production run, or offer to give them free for people that register. Maybe you should become the product manager for Shure IEMs!

[size=small]And I agree with toughnut that it is tough to get a proper impression after listening to IEMs for a short period of time[/size], especially the IE8s and W3s, as they both have fit and tip challenges. Sounds like the se530 does also by your comments. So is your assessment fair? Did you give the IE8s and W3 and what ever else you compared them to a fair shake? Doesn't sound like it to me.

But there is nothing wrong with preferring one over another, and I am glad you found something you really like. But as stated before, your exuberance and seeming bias reduce your impact, at least to me.

Back to ignore, yes, definitely the wrong word. Without people like you (with different opinions that are expressed in interesting ways), this place would be boring!

BTW, you ever get a chance to get a pic of your se530s with the IE8s you listened to
wink.gif

Ok, If those earphones were so much better than the SE530s then I would have preferred them to my SE530's instantly. I didn't hear anything from the IE8's or W3's that were better than the SE530s. Sound is subjective so maybe I just prefer the SE530s smooth, lushness signature...

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 75
Quote:

Sound is subjective so maybe I just prefer the SE530s smooth, lushness signature...

You then try to cram that preference down everyone's throats

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #56 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, I just want people to know the Shure SE530's with the yellow foamies installed has far better sound quality then a out of the box SE530...Most likely 95% of people has judged the sound of the Shure SE530's with the shure olives installed which is basically judging a crippled product...It's the same as If I judged the Sennheiser IE8's sound right out of the box without burn in...I really don't care anymore I'm enjoying my SE530's right now and am looking towards buying a high end AMP and a custom IEM or the HD800s.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Ok, If those earphones were so much better than the SE530s then I would have preferred them to my SE530's instantly. I didn't hear anything from the IE8's or W3's that were better than the SE530s. Sound is subjective so maybe I just prefer the SE530s smooth, lushness signature...

Honestly I thought the IE8s sounded worse than any other IEM I heard out of the box. Seriously. The first song was a fast, complex, difficult for anything to render the performance well song and they fell flat on their face. I knew they needed burn in though.

Maybe you can instantly tell all the nuances of a headphone, but for me it takes critical listening in a controlled environment along with tweaking for the best sound combo. With your talent maybe you can become a reviewer and review all the headphones on the planet in maybe 1 day. Imagine the comparison you could do!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is the problem. I am using comply foam under silicon for my IE8s and have recommended that several times, but few people actually tried it. There is a point where it is on them to try it, I can only recommend it so many times. I get to up my post count when I hear things differently with my setup than they hear, and I do it in what I think is a constructive way.

Quote:

No, I just want people to know the Shure SE530's with the yellow foamies installed has far better sound quality then a out of the box SE530...Most likely 95% of people has judged the sound of the Shure SE530's with the shure olives installed which is basically judging a crippled product...It's the same as If I judged the Sennheiser IE8's sound right out of the box without burn in...I really don't care anymore I'm enjoying my SE530's right now and am looking towards buying a high end AMP and a custom IEM or the HD800s.

We know you like the yellow foamies, the whole forum knows you like the yellow foamies, I want to know what other people think of the yellow foamies.

If you didn't get it, that is an adapted quote from one of my favorite movies.

And this thread is titled IE8, Phonak, Westone 3 (confused). I don't see se530 in the title. Not that you can't discuss them, but there are se530 threads, so me thinks the majority of your posts should go in those threads.

I don't see W3 supporters policing every thread anytime anyone says a less than flattering comment about the W3s. Maybe in the W3 threads, but not in everywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant say i was a wild fan of the yellow foamies

Oh, mark2410, thank you for sharing.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Nope, but I've heard the PFE are very detailed but lack in the BASS department when unamped.

not really...depends how much you want. i find that the grey filters give me just the right amount of bass

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #60 of 75
I'm currently using the black filters which have too much bass, but it's still fun to get a different type of sound. With the gray filters, the bass is just right for me amped or unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back