IE8, Phonak, Westone 3 (confused)
Feb 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 75
I agree with Rob regarding his comparisons with ER4 for the most part and if you look at his HP collection and speaker system I believe he's qualified to make accurate judgments.

I also feel that ER4 has a certain razor sharp detail that the PFE lacks but for too many recordings this quality isn't really an advantage because this only reveals sibilance or otherwise simply bad engineering.

I feel that the Phonaks have a smoother and more detailed high frequency output from above around 12kHz up to their limit around 17kHz. I feel that the ER4 has better upper midrange detail, not through the entire "common" range of 300Hz~5kHz.- somewhere in this upper range to lower "tweeter" territory of less than 10kHz. The Phonak bass easily wins me over, no contest(no EQ here).

After much comparing, overall the Phonaks do 95% of my music better than ER4 and they give a lot more emotion...they can rock n roll with great dynamic power or play delicate with Classical.

I have no experience with IE8 and probably never will.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
robm321: Thanks for all you have said. Could you possibly elaborate a little on your "darker sound" comment please?

graphCompare.php

The bass is more prominant than the midrange and the highs recess.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #20 of 75
Hi Chris, I feel your pain!

Let me start with the graph, I didn't like the graph either, but to me, they don't sound like the graph after burn in. Before, sure!

Are the IE8s dark? I thought they were, again before burn in. Now I think they are well balanced, spacious, and fun. Do the PFEs have more treble/upper mid energy, yes. Are the IE8s more laid back, yes. But I feel I am hearing all the treble with just the right balance for me. I seriously lose track of time because I am enjoying music through them every day!

While the PFEs are good, after burn in the IE8s are in a different class in my opinion (and the price shows that). The overall presentation is much more to my liking, and the soundstage is incredible. You get the detail in the PFEs (with the grey filters) plus additional soundstage and bass! Plus, I think they have a more natural instrument reproduction.

If I were you, I would shell out the money for the IE8s and not be left wondering. Or, if the PFEs have a 14 day money back, as they do here, buy the IE8s, burn them in for a week straight, then buy the PFEs (or time it so they arrive at about that time). Compare the 2 and if you think the IE8 is better, return the PFE. If you think the PFE is better, sell the IE8. (easy for me to say, huh).

The reason I purchased the PFE was because it was receiving so many positive reviews, I just had to hear it. I thought it might be as good as the IE8, and then I could sell those. Didn't happen that way, but I am glad I had the opportunity to hear it and compare the 2. Now I don't wonder if they are as good or better for $100 less.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 75
I agree, if possible get both and A/B them... and pick which one YOU prefer... not what others do.

Like stated, then you won't be left wondering one way or the other. You'll know you have which one is the best for your preferences.

nG

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 75
I owned couple of mid-end iems like the shures, UE's and westone 3's and i could tell you that the PFE's are like jacks of all trades, it has like 90% of everything in an iem. With such a good snatch value, you simply cant go wrong.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 are £167 from Microwarehouse. I had mine from there.

? they doesn't have it anymore...... or is it just me ?

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Chris, I feel your pain!

Let me start with the graph, I didn't like the graph either, but to me, they don't sound like the graph after burn in. Before, sure!

Are the IE8s dark? I thought they were, again before burn in. Now I think they are well balanced, spacious, and fun. Do the PFEs have more treble/upper mid energy, yes. Are the IE8s more laid back, yes. But I feel I am hearing all the treble with just the right balance for me. I seriously lose track of time because I am enjoying music through them every day!

While the PFEs are good, after burn in the IE8s are in a different class in my opinion (and the price shows that). The overall presentation is much more to my liking, and the soundstage is incredible. You get the detail in the PFEs (with the grey filters) plus additional soundstage and bass! Plus, I think they have a more natural instrument reproduction.

If I were you, I would shell out the money for the IE8s and not be left wondering. Or, if the PFEs have a 14 day money back, as they do here, buy the IE8s, burn them in for a week straight, then buy the PFEs (or time it so they arrive at about that time). Compare the 2 and if you think the IE8 is better, return the PFE. If you think the PFE is better, sell the IE8. (easy for me to say, huh).

The reason I purchased the PFE was because it was receiving so many positive reviews, I just had to hear it. I thought it might be as good as the IE8, and then I could sell those. Didn't happen that way, but I am glad I had the opportunity to hear it and compare the 2. Now I don't wonder if they are as good or better for $100 less.

Yes I also don't consider the IE8 dark at all (after burn in), especially after coming from se530. I'm probably still going to try a pair of phonaks to satisfy my own curiosity. W3 I might try also. But I can't help feeling I would miss the bass and lushness of ie8, but for some types of music or with an amp maybe PFE would be a nice complement to ie8.

Yes with the curiosity factor it's always nice to try other things
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I also don't consider the IE8 dark at all (after burn in), especially after coming from se530

darkness itself is bright after coming from the 530
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #28 of 75
The Shure SE530's can be had for $280 on Amazon The Shure SE530's with the yellow foamies as the tips has better MIDS and BASS than the Westone 3's while the Westone 3's has more HIGHS. Most people judge the sound of the Shure SE530's with those crappy shure olives installed on it. If you want insane soundstage for a IEM along with full, rich, and meaty BASS go with the Sennheiser IE8, If you want the best MIDS and a solid, full, detailed and impactful BASS Shure SE530's are a no brainer, if you want want great HIGHS and solid BASS go for the Westone 3.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #29 of 75
^but have you tried PFE?

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^but have you tried PFE?

Nope, but I've heard the PFE are very detailed but lack in the BASS department when unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back