IE8, Phonak, Westone 3 (confused)
Mar 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #61 of 75
black's too veiled to my liking. i like grey's clarity very very much
biggrin.gif

after these few weeks i'm absolutely loving them

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #62 of 75
I own all three of the mentioned IEM's. I would recommend the IE8's only after alot of burn in. I have 300+ hours of burn in using pink and white noise and I have to say, out of my collection, I prefer them over the Westone 3's and the Phonak PFE's. Great bass, clarity, and amazing soundstage. Fit might be an issue for some. If you prefer the ER4 sound signature, I would recommend the Phonak PFE's. With the grey filters, the midrange is some of the best I've heard. I slightly prefer the midrange of the PFE's over the SE530's.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #63 of 75
What don't you like about the westones?

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #64 of 75
I really do like the westone 3's. They have great treble and bass but, I like the midrange from the SE530's and PFE's slightly better with PFE's being my preference for midrange (grey filter). The overall presentation of the Westone 3's is the best I've heard from a BA IEM. I've heard nuances that I wasn't able to pick up with my other BA IEM's. It's just that after I burned in my IE8's for over 300+ hours no other IEM in my collection can match the bass impact and soundstage that they can produce. Before the IE8's, I wouldn't be able to believe that a single dynamic driver IEM can produce a sound signature of that nature. I'm a true believer now because I have experienced (and continue to experience) the sound of a well burned in set of IE8's.
BTW, the midrange on the IE8's are right up there with the other top universal IEM's. To me, it just comes down to preference.

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #65 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do like the westone 3's. They have great treble and bass but, I like the midrange from the SE530's and PFE's slightly better with PFE's being my preference for midrange (grey filter). The overall presentation of the Westone 3's is the best I've heard from a BA IEM. I've heard nuances that I wasn't able to pick up with my other BA IEM's. It's just that after I burned in my IE8's for over 300+ hours no other IEM in my collection can match the bass impact and soundstage that they can produce. Before the IE8's, I wouldn't be able to believe that a single dynamic driver IEM can produce a sound signature of that nature. I'm a true believer now because I have experienced (and continue to experience) the sound of a well burned in set of IE8's.
BTW, the midrange on the IE8's are right up there with the other top universal IEM's. To me, it just comes down to preference.

I respect your opinion, but may I ask what tips are on those Shure SE530's?? Most likely Shure Olives....

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #66 of 75
I certainly started something with this thread. Sorry to have left it so long before coming back to tell what I decided. After reading everything I could and being impressed with what Average Joe and a few others said about the IE 8 I decided to buy them. I only have about 30 hours or so on them so far and I certainly didn't like the bass sound out of the box. However even in the short time I have had them I can hear the bass has improved considerably and the midrange is lovely. Vocals are very nice indeed. I hope that the treble improves as time goes on like I have read because they will be quite something if that happens. So far they are really good fun to listen to and I love the soundstage too. Music I have played often on other 'phones are having a new lease of life at the moment with these 'phones. Thanks to all who have made comments here that have helped and particular thanks to Average Joe who is definately above average in my book... and also to Mors who told me where to get them cheaper in the UK.

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

Interesting, thanks for the detailed input. And your last sentence sums it up quite well also!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to all who have made comments here that have helped and particular thanks to Average Joe who is definately above average in my book... and also to Mors who told me where to get them cheaper in the UK.

I don't blush often, but am now (and there isn't a blush smilie, so I had to type that). I appreciate what you have said!

Great choice IMO, not that the other 2 (PFE and W3) are bad. Ihatepopupads and I have both run tests on treble freq response and found that it does increased measurably after the 200-250 hour range.

And with only 30 hours of burn in, they get significantly better with time IMO, you will really enjoy! The only problem I have with them is my other headphones and speakers sound bad in comparison!

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #68 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, thanks for the detailed input. And your last sentence sums it up quite well also!

I don't blush often, but am now (and there isn't a blush smilie, so I had to type that). I appreciate what you have said!

Great choice IMO, not that the other 2 (PFE and W3) are bad. Ihatepopupads and I have both run tests on treble freq response and found that it does increased measurably after the 200-250 hour range.

And with only 30 hours of burn in, they get significantly better with time IMO, you will really enjoy! The only problem I have with them is my other headphones and speakers sound bad in comparison!

You must have some crappy headphones and speakers...lol....
k701smile.gif
...j/k

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #69 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have some crappy headphones and speakers...lol....
k701smile.gif
...j/k

I guess I do! Unfortunately home and car equipment that is on the same level as headphones (in this case the IE8/Prodigy combo) is magnitudes more expensive.

It is also me, as I had trouble going from the IE8 to the PFE after the IE8 was burned in, but others don't feel the same. I liked the PFEs if I didn't go directly from the IE8s. All it really boils down to is I prefer the IE8 sound sig and sound quality to other equipment I own. To me, the IE8s sound perfect (for headphones)!

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #70 of 75
i think people should realize that it's no surprise the IE8's and W3's are more preferred, over the PFE's, by some people... considering they're both about triple the cost of the PFE's, it's simply amazing that the PFE's can even compete with those beasts - i really can't wait to get mine!

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #71 of 75
VoLTaG3: I use the large double flange tips that came with my X5's for the SE530's. I get a great seal, tighter bass, and better soundstage with those tips.

Chris T: I can also confirm that treble significantly improves after 200+ hours of burn in.

The PFE's offer great value for your hard earned money and so do the X5's if you can get them on sale.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #72 of 75
Quote:

VoLTaG3: I use the large double flange tips that came with my X5's for the SE530's. I get a great seal, tighter bass, and better soundstage with those tips.

Chris T: I can also confirm that treble significantly improves after 200+ hours of burn in.

The PFE's offer great value for your hard earned money and so do the X5's if you can get them on sale.

How is it compared to the yellow foamies???

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #73 of 75
I never tried the yellow foamies and they never came with the SE530's. Is Shure now shipping the yellow foamies with the SE530'?. I'm not even sure where I would get them. Is it memory or regular foam? Most important question is, do they make the SE530's sound better?

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

I never tried the yellow foamies and they never came with the SE530's. Is Shure now shipping the yellow foamies with the SE530'?. I'm not even sure where I would get them. Is it memory or regular foam? Most important question is, do they make the SE530's sound better?

Please click the linky in my sigy.....lol
smile_phones.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #75 of 75
I see that you modified the triple flange into a double flange and the SE530's sound better with that combination rather than the yellow foamies. You should try the klipsch double flange tips. They are far more comfortable and it makes the SE530's sound better. That's according to my ears of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back