IE8 + Ipod touch 2G = not better
Jan 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 33
Neither does the IE8 need an amp, nor are 192-320 kbps mp3s so bad that you wouldn't make out the difference between the CX400 and the IE8. I can only think of these reasons:
- Your ears need time to adjust
- You do not use flat EQ on your Ipod
- The recordings you tried are badly mastered

I'd say, start with the bass on minimum (max. just makes it more boomy), set your Ipod's EQ to flat and pick some well recorded albums (see the headfi-music section for recommendations). Relax and give your ears a few hours to adjust to the sound signature.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. Maybe you should match the really nice IE's with some really nice bitrate music? I've also read that IE8's need burn in. And as someone stated above you may need an amp for the IE8. Try burning them in and get used to the sound signature and then compare to your old ones. If you don't have an amp you can borrow one from me (if you are in Stockholm) and try them.

Thanks! That's very kind of you! What amp are you using with IE8? I tried pro-ject amp box but I didn't see any different
frown.gif

I also had a thread talking about this amp+IE8. Someone in this forum said that because the IE is so sensitive, the amp doesn't make the sound different.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by niotio910 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone in this forum said that because the IE is so sensitive, the amp doesn't make the sound different.

Someone just said that again
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by niotio910 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what tips are they?
"shallow insertion" you mean the earpads?

I found that silicon eartips with a shallow insertion (don't push them deep in your ear, just enough to create a comfortable seal; the body of the IEM should stick out a bit rather than flush with your ear) gave me the best sound. In particular, sony hybrids and the UE single flange tips work well.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #20 of 33
Hi, I think you may just need more time with them provided that they are genuine IE8s. The touch 2G is quite a decent source for the IE8 and is well capable of driving them. I always listen at 4-6 tabs from the minimum position. I really don't think that you need an amp for these to sound good. I had an Alo Rx and currently using a D4 and there is no apparent or discerble difference to my ears.The touch 2G makes the IE8 sound relatively balanced and less warm than my other sources with a very expansive soundstage. Having heard the CX400 I think the most obvious superficial differences between those and the IE8s is in smoothness, refinement,micro details, head-stage expanse and airiness.

I think that sometimes we are disappointed with what we're hearing because we have been lead or have lead ourselves to have unrealistic expectations. A lot of times we see reviews talking about the differences between X and Y headphones. These differences are almost invariably not absolute differences but are rather subtle. My listening experience tells me that there seems to also be a "multiplier effect" in that once the difference has been noted they become more conspicuous/obvious with each listen.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flimberson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that silicon eartips with a shallow insertion (don't push them deep in your ear, just enough to create a comfortable seal; the body of the IEM should stick out a bit rather than flush with your ear) gave me the best sound. In particular, sony hybrids and the UE single flange tips work well.

Yes, thanks for your tips. I can feel the difference now
smily_headphones1.gif

I also found this good thread regarding to this tip: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/f...phones-310723/

I used the standard eartips before, and it didn't seal very well. That's why the sound was bad. From your tips, I try the Lamellar (named by sennheiser), and it's really sweet!!! The bass is much deeper. I also love the foam eartips (which I didn't know what they were for), but I don't have time to compress it

I'll enjoy some smooth jazz songs tonight
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 33
Great to see you're enjoying them now! haha The good thing about the foam tips is that you don't need to compress them.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 33
Give them about 100hrs of burn in, they will indeed change quite a lot.
When I first got them, I thought they sound the same as my CX400s as well, but trust me, you will soon hear the difference!

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that is normal for me to not like the sound from my iPod Touch 2G listening to Triple Fi.10's. Ive found that cheaper IEM's provide a better experience. Im not sure why but the SQ does not match my taste. I have heard great things about the Cowon S9, I will have to try getting one of those. The iPod Touch shows me zero bass, unless you invest in a nice amp, which may be what you need.

Really? The TF10's and the IE8's sound excellent straight from my 2G ipod touch.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither does the IE8 need an amp, nor are 192-320 kbps mp3s so bad that you wouldn't make out the difference between the CX400 and the IE8. I can only think of these reasons:
- Your ears need time to adjust
- You do not use flat EQ on your Ipod
- The recordings you tried are badly mastered

I'd say, start with the bass on minimum (max. just makes it more boomy), set your Ipod's EQ to flat and pick some well recorded albums (see the headfi-music section for recommendations). Relax and give your ears a few hours to adjust to the sound signature.

x2.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I think you may just need more time with them provided that they are genuine IE8s. The touch 2G is quite a decent source for the IE8 and is well capable of driving them. I always listen at 4-6 tabs from the minimum position. I really don't think that you need an amp for these to sound good. I had an Alo Rx and currently using a D4 and there is no apparent or discerble difference to my ears.The touch 2G makes the IE8 sound relatively balanced and less warm than my other sources with a very expansive soundstage. Having heard the CX400 I think the most obvious superficial differences between those and the IE8s is in smoothness, refinement,micro details, head-stage expanse and airiness.

I think that sometimes we are disappointed with what we're hearing because we have been lead or have lead ourselves to have unrealistic expectations. A lot of times we see reviews talking about the differences between X and Y headphones. These differences are almost invariably not absolute differences but are rather subtle. My listening experience tells me that there seems to also be a "multiplier effect" in that once the difference has been noted they become more conspicuous/obvious with each listen.

Sound advice HONEYBOY.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #28 of 33
From experience, I can mention that not every earphone/headphone will suit your tastes. In fact, there are a number of high end (1000$) headphones from the top manufacturers which I glory over, but don't necessarily care to listen to.

Sure, you may have bad fit or need an amp, but the basic character of a headphone won't change. If you don't like the IE8, you won't. I don't particularly like it - because of the strange echo.

But, it is best to listen to a headphone for a long time till you get used to it - that is very important. If you are used to another earphone, a new one may only feel/sound strange.

Still, the IE8 isn't like its brethren: it is open so sound will leak in.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #29 of 33
give them some time to burn in (100+) I also have an IE8 and a iPod touch (3g) and they makes a great pair

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? The TF10's and the IE8's sound excellent straight from my 2G ipod touch.

Im comparing the sound coming from the iPod Touch and my computer with sound card. Im not saying it sounds bad or un-listenable, just not worth it to me to listen to my fav's if they dont sound great. Have you ever enabled Bass Boost on the Touch....it just changes the music completely and becomes boomy...yet still no actual Bass. If you look up audio quality on the ipod touch vs Cowon S9, the Cowon reproduces music with higher quality. If I up the bass EQ on my PC, I get actual bass, and not boom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back