IE8 + Ipod touch 2G = not better
Jan 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

niotio910

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I used Sennheiser CX-400II + ipod touch 2G before. This combo was ok for me.
I also bought the IE8 because I heard a lot of impressions about it from this forum.
However, when I try it with the ipod I'm not so impressed because I don't feel any big difference (except for the prize
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Any thought?

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 33
You might need an amp to help drive those a little better.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 33
it takes a while to get adjusted to the sound signature. Furthermore, I would see if the bass tuning option fixes up the sound for you.
I had experience with the CX400II, I can tell you that they only share really, really basic sound characteristics, other than that you won't be able to compare them.
as I said, take your time with them.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 33
If you don't have a history of top end iems then you need some time to get adjusted to them so that you will understand why people pay lots of money for little changes
smily_headphones1.gif
Actually if you use IE8's for a few days, you will be able to distinguish them once you put cx400-II's on your ears. They will sound weak and bad in every way. By the way, your source and bitrate are important to notice a considerable upgrade.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it takes a while to get adjusted to the sound signature. Furthermore, I would see if the bass tuning option fixes up the sound for you.
I had experience with the CX400II, I can tell you that they only share really, really basic sound characteristics, other than that you won't be able to compare them.
as I said, take your time with them.

My favorite taste is bass driven. I feel that the CX400II has even better bass than the IE (even though the IE bass tuning is on max level). And also, I feel that the bass tuning seems not to work. I don't feel the difference between the min and max level
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 33
From my experience, the bass knob on the IE8's doesn't change the bass much either. I believe that's normal, as there is a post in the appreciation thread stating basically that the knob doesn't adjust the emphasized midbass, but rather just makes the bass extend deeper. Have you tried different tips, as well as a shallow insertion?

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you buy them from? Did you rule out the possibility that they are fake?

I don't think it's fake because I bought it from a trusted store in Stockholm called webhallen. Someone from Sweden probably know this store.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 33
I would say that is normal for me to not like the sound from my iPod Touch 2G listening to Triple Fi.10's. Ive found that cheaper IEM's provide a better experience. Im not sure why but the SQ does not match my taste. I have heard great things about the Cowon S9, I will have to try getting one of those. The iPod Touch shows me zero bass, unless you invest in a nice amp, which may be what you need.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 33
Hello fellow swede! Are you listening to mp3's? What bitrate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by niotio910 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's fake because I bought it from a trusted store in Stockholm called webhallen. Someone from Sweden probably know this store.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 33
Ok. Maybe you should match the really nice IE's with some really nice bitrate music? I've also read that IE8's need burn in. And as someone stated above you may need an amp for the IE8. Try burning them in and get used to the sound signature and then compare to your old ones. If you don't have an amp you can borrow one from me (if you are in Stockholm) and try them.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 33
IE8s are not even comparable with the CX-400II's. Is this your first high end IEM? It takes time to get used to the differences of a high quality IEM. You may be too used to the sound signature of your CX-400II, and this is the transition that you are experiencing.

Make sure you're not jamming the IE8's too deeply into your ear canal. They need to just go in enough to form a comfortable seal. Not deeply inside like Shure's or Etymotics. Also, the IE8's need significant amount of burn-in before they sound great. At around ~20-40 hours you should hear the bass calm down and get tighter/more clean. After about 100-200 hours the mids and highs open up significantly. And finally after 400+ hours the highs open up even more and everything balances out a tad bit.

And honestly, 192 kbps is just not enough for good quality. You must aim for anything at or above 256 kbps. And keep in mind that the iPod Touch is not the greatest DAP (one of my least favorites).

Give it some time, and stick with the IE8s for now. Don't compare the sounds of the CX-400II and the IE8 one after the other. Get used to the IE8's sound signature and just listen to the IE8 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back