IE8 a suitable upgrade for me?
Aug 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wund3rk1nd

Head-Fier
Hello, i'm planning to sell my shures se420 to my friend and purchase a pair of sennheiser ie8s.(ecost promotion).

What music i listen to: trance, rap,techno
comments about se420: well basically they sound ok to me, just that they sound "boring" to me sometimes? perhaps the earphones is way too analytical for me. After doing a search on the forums, im still unsure whether the ie8s would be suitable for my needs. Im open to other suggestions, but please no triple.fi 10s because i don't like how they look.

oh and my budget is less then 300 usd.

thanks!

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Less than $300? Didn't know IE8's went for that little... (More in line with what I think they're really worth, but I digress)

I chose the IE8 over the SE530 when I tested them both in-store, exactly because I thought they sounded "boring" with the selections and source I had on hand. They both rolled off the highs, but the IE8's saving grace was the impact and depth of its bass, and wider soundstage, possibly the biggest of any IEM I've heard in its price range. All together a more fun listen especially with your particular tastes.

I'm actually looking to sell my old IE8's, not that there's anything wrong with them, but that the "veil" (which you may or may not get accustomed to) doesn't suit me anymore and I'm looking to go the custom route.
I'll let them go for something in line with your budget, if you're interested.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 5
they were going on offer (223 usd) but i was too late in purchasing them :frowning2:
what do u personally find better for trance/hiphop? ie8 or westone 3
im interested however i have read about the sennheiser "veil" and thats what lead me to consider the westone 3. so any comments on them?

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 5
I cannot comment on the W3 as I've never heard them but I'm loving my IE8.
I think the veil you are talking about is the coloured nature of the IE8 sound and this worried me too at first as I was coming from Shure SE210 which was relatively the opposite. At first, it was a little bit hard to grasp but after about 20 hours into it, I really enjoy the fun sound coming out of these IE8. That being said, they require many hours of burn-in.

One of the strongest forte of the IE8 for me is the soundstage. It's such a big change coming from shure that I love any and all type of music. But I also read number of reviews praising the W3 so you can't really go wrong.

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 5
For trance I suggest take a look at Ortofon e-Q7, a BA single driver. Look up multiple reviews in this forum.
Price around $300 US. Can get it from US retailers as well as UK and AU. Where are you at?
Also another best for trance is Radius DDM. Priced on ebay for $169 so way below your price limit.
Later resembles to IE8 but sounds better and looks cooler, very retro. DDM considered by many best money value phones on the market. Look up the review and impression thread for more info and direct comparison to IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back