IE7 vs X5 vs DBA-02?
Nov 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cycle10s

Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience comparing these?

I'm looking for something in the $100-$200 range that has great mids and is fun to listen to without a pronounced U-shaped sound signature. I also don't want something that is too sterile sounding.

So I thought I had narrowed it down to the IE7 and Klipsch X5, but I've been reading a lot of raving reviews about the DBA-02, so i thought I would throw that into the mix.

Thanks for any advice!

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 12
I heard the DBA-02 is relatively neutral and a bit on the cooler/brighter side. So, depending on whether you like a warm or bright sound signature, your definition of "fun" might be different from what others will think it as. The IE7 is marginally more warmer than both options. I have also heard that X5 sounds as "clinical" as the HF5. Which is quite an analytical earphone from what I know. If anything, I'd cross the X5 out of your list, since analytical usually doesn't equal to "fun". But some people might think otherwise.

So, I guess my question is, do you prefer a bright sound signature or a warm sound signature?

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 12
dba-02/
the clarity and instrument separation is on par with high-end universals such as the se530

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Ideally, I would like a balanced sound without being clinical like an Ety sound sig. My IM716's are nice, but maybe a little boring and just not enough bass. My S4's have too much bass and the mids are too recessed for me. So, I'm looking for something in between those two I guess.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 12
From the sound of things, I think I'd second the DBA-02 as well. Since that would be more balanced than IE7 while not being as clinical as the X5.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 12
Haven't heard the IE7 but the DBA just plain murders the X5.  The X5 does nothing better other than a Db or two of isolation IMO.  Though X5 tips work well on the DBAs.  
wink_face.gif
  If you get the right fit and seal the DBAs are very natural and full sounding compared to the more clinical Etys.  I've had the MC5 and the ER4S.  Twice.  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Haven't heard the IE7 but the DBA just plain murders the X5.  The X5 does nothing better other than a Db or two of isolation IMO.  Though X5 tips work well on the DBAs.  
wink_face.gif
  If you get the right fit and seal the DBAs are very natural and full sounding compared to the more clinical Etys.  I've had the MC5 and the ER4S.  Twice.  
rolleyes.gif

Now I just can't wait to receive my DBA-02 and wait for it to murder my MC5 and send it to permenant retirement.
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif

Now I just can't wait to receive my DBA-02 and wait for it to murder my MC5 and send it to permenant retirement.
tongue.gif

lol, such positive words for the DBA-02's!
I'm just a little concerned about ordering them from the US. Would I be able to still get them for around $160? Also, what happens if I ever have to warranty them since there aren't any retailers in the US?

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 12
What Anaxilus said. Ethan lives in Canada, so, you'll be fine. The only problem is that the DBA-02 only went out of stock the past few days... so, if you are planning to get them, you might have to wait a month or more before it is available again.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
What Anaxilus said. Ethan lives in Canada, so, you'll be fine. The only problem is that the DBA-02 only went out of stock the past few days... so, if you are planning to get them, you might have to wait a month or more before it is available again.

Cool, that's good to know. I have TF10's arriving tomorrow from the Amazon deal, but I think I'll be selling them since I hear that their mids are recessed/veiled.

The Klipsch Custom-3's sound like they would have the perfect sound sig for me too, but I'm worried that the cables will fall apart.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Not so sure about the Custom 3's quality in cable... but I do know they are very microphonic. I don't think those are better than the DBA-02 though. Not from what I have heard anyway. I am still waiting on my DBA-02. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back