iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Dec 25, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,524 of 4,252
From a sound quality perspective, how does it perform against mojo? I have mojo, may sell and get this. The 3d effect described above sounds interesting. I have just ordered the sony ex800st and will vent mod them. I wonder how the 3d effect will sound through them??

been comparing them both for the last couple hours listening to metal

the things that stood out the most

iDSD BL - more emphasis on treble, slightly airier sounding, more detailed? (not sure because of the treble), soundstage is wider, sounds congested in comparison, more exciting.

Mojo -  soundstage has more depth, no congestion (music has effortless speed and separation), realism in timbre, better dynamics, more relaxed.

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,525 of 4,252

been comparing them both for the last couple hours listening to metal

the things that stood out the most

iDSD BL - more emphasis on treble, slightly airier sounding, more detailed? (not sure because of the treble), soundstage is wider, sounds congested in comparison, more exciting.

Mojo -  soundstage has more depth, no congestion (music has effortless speed and separation), realism in timbre, better dynamics, more relaxed.

I have a soundbyte of 2 tracks. To me the iDSD sounds slightly dull and flat against the Mojo on the 2 tracks I have ABd for hours. 

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,526 of 4,252
iDSD BL is going to take 200 to 300 hours to achieve the level of performance you are all expecting :rolleyes:

I remember it took a brand new iCAN SE 300 hours to even begin to compete with my well used iCAN:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790869/ican-micro-se-thanks-to-meze-you-guys-are-great-things-are-a-rockin/330#post_12310473

:cool:

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,527 of 4,252
Still have problems with my Android phone but the black label works with my iPhone and cck. First impression is that it has a bit more pronounced bass compared to the chrome version (compared from memory as I no longer have the original iDSD). The black label still has sufficient highs and sounds smooth. I use bit perfect filter for cd quality which has very slightly less treble than standard but still sufficient highs. Transients and timing to my ears are best with bit perfect. Tomorrow I'll do some comparisons to the Mojo but so far I prefer the black label sound - to me Mojo has too much treble roll-off (or too much emphasis on bass?) which makes higher voices and instruments sound a bit flat.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #2,529 of 4,252
iDSD BL is going to take 200 to 300 hours to achieve the level of performance you are all expecting
rolleyes.gif

I remember it took a brand new iCAN SE 300 hours to even begin to compete with my well used iCAN:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790869/ican-micro-se-thanks-to-meze-you-guys-are-great-things-are-a-rockin/330#post_12310473

cool.gif

that maybe true but i dont have time do a 300 hour burn in i have to review this very soon.

FWIW, I didn't think iDSDBL sounded congested vs Mojo with various IEM and my Nighthawks.

when listening to Katalepsy - Blindead Sultan, the really fast drumming kicks in and all instruments start to lose separation. iv been only listening through mojo for over a year and i noticed this straight away. it is very important to me because i only like metal so its something i will hear all the time  not just now and again.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,532 of 4,252
That whiskey material we wrote a while ago? Since technically it's still Xmas, here goes its second bit.

Part 2: Raise your glasses!

Glass

Every whisky drinker will tell you to get the Glencairn glass, which is especially designed for whisky tasting. It just hits the right parts of one’s taste buds. Much like a wine glass is designed to savor wine..

Yes, the Glencairn glass is nice, but for a casual whisky drinker there is really no need to spend $8 for such an item where a normal wine/water glass will do the job.

The tip is to have a glass with both a large bottom and a narrow opening on top. Such shape is the reason why all the nice whisky aroma is kept inside the glass and will be channeled and concentrated towards your nostrils.  

C:\Users\Violator\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Ice

Many gourmets will add ice to whisky. But rather than enhancing flavors, ice inhibits a drink’s taste. To put it shortly, it’ll turn dull and flat. The aromas and taste will only start to open up and reveal their full characteristics once the whisky starts to warm up to room temperature. So we don’t recommend to serve this kind of a beverage cold like a beer!

Yet once ice is added to a low quality whisky, it’ll calm the burn of cheap alcohol feeling. Therefore it can be done, but only for low quality whisky, of £10 asking or even less. Such as this Tesco Reserve…. Enjoy…

An opposite analogy is with Japanese Sake, to drink it cold is to drink it right. Never taste the Sake hot unless the it’s of questionable quality or you are freezing and need a hot drink.

Water

The normal rule of thumb is as follows: don’t add water to whisky unless you are drinking cask strength whisky.  This means the alcohol level of 50% or more. In this case, the alcohol percentage and burning sensation in your mouth (which unavoidably follows) can overpower even the most prominent flavours.

Most whisky sold (40-46% ABV) is not cask strength and already diluted with water, so you don’t want to add any amount of H2O again.  But sometimes two or three drops of water can release further flavours and complexity and that’s exactly what you want. But to try it is to know.

If adding water, use a straw. Dip it in a glass of water, then seal its top with your finger. Next transfer the water in the straw to your glass with whisky and release. Do it a few drops every time. Small steps are advised in order to avoid watering down too much.

Yes, we are talking pipette levels of water drops.

We read that Morrison Bowmore Distillers grasped the thorny topic and discovered that a little drop of water changed the look, the taste and the smell of the whisky.

Whisky Books

Last but not least, for those of you who wish to explore further, here are a few whisky connoisseur books from one of our preferred retailers. Yes, the one from whom we get the ‘occasional’ tipple.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/books/

They really know their whisky as just like good music, we are always on the lookout for new beverages to try!

This book, ‘101 Whiskies to Try Before you Die’ is one of our favourites. Nicely penned and very informative!

It is Christmas so we wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a happy new year. Drink in moderation (at least try!) and don’t drive! Get a taxi!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 26, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,533 of 4,252
I am Woodford Reserve and Blantons man myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back