iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Dec 11, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,431 of 4,252
How would I connect this to my s6 edge+ and make sure its the dac being used in the micro and not my phone when streaming Tidal?

What cables etc would I need? Cheers

For this, you will need to connect to the iDSD from the charging port. NOT the headphone jack. You will need a male Micro USB to female USB like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GM0OZ4O/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1481498088&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=micro+usb+to+female+usb&dpPl=1&dpID=41KKuffqLCL&ref=plSrch

Hope it helps
Bilson

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,432 of 4,252
How would I connect this to my s6 edge+ and make sure its the dac being used in the micro and not my phone when streaming Tidal?

What cables etc would I need? Cheers

For this, you will need to connect to the iDSD from the charging port. NOT the headphone jack. You will need a male Micro USB to female USB like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GM0OZ4O/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1481498088&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=micro+usb+to+female+usb&dpPl=1&dpID=41KKuffqLCL&ref=plSrch

Hope it helps
Bilson

'OTG' is the key word you are looking for here.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2,433 of 4,252
I don't remember the old 3D sounding harsh through my HD800s. Wonder what the new one will be like

I don't remember the 3D adds harsh either. Brighter, yes. But not to the extend it sounds harsh except with T90. But I have always find them to be harsh and I was the unfortunate one to never liked that headphone :see_no_evil:

Different ears, preferences, etc...

To me, cymbals don't sound quite natural with 3D on. A bit too splashy, tipping slightly over into harsh territory for me. Of course, that's just for me and isn't meant to detract from what is simply a fantastic product from iFi. I mean, other than 3D not floating my boat, there's not much I can point to for improvement. If I weren't saving up to send my college-age daughter to Dublin for a semester, I'd buy one. Can't think of much more of an endorsement than that!

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #2,434 of 4,252
Different ears, preferences, etc...

To me, cymbals don't sound quite natural with 3D on. A bit too splashy, tipping slightly over into harsh territory for me

I noticed that exact same thing when I auditioned the previous iDSD micro. My ears have grown sensitive to excessive highs having been using the iDSD Nano at work and the Yggy at home. I was really hoping the BL would tame down those highs cuz I love the 3D function which I keep on all the time on my iCAN SE. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,435 of 4,252
I noticed that exact same thing when I auditioned the previous iDSD micro. My ears have grown sensitive to excessive highs having been using the iDSD Nano at work and the Yggy at home. I was really hoping the BL would tame down those highs cuz I love the 3D function which I keep on all the time on my iCAN SE. 

Yeah, I think it's a highly personal thing, so I don't want to scare anyone off. Some will like it. Others won't. Even so, it's an add-on, so if you don't like it there's always the fantastic iDSDBL sound quality to enjoy. No worries...

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #2,436 of 4,252
How does the 3D effect compare to the iCan Pro version?

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #2,437 of 4,252
do i need any extra cables besides the included coaxial to connect the idsd BL with my ibasso dx80 ?

does this connection let me use the idsd dac ? or do i need some other way of connection ?

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #2,438 of 4,252
I agree that when turning on 3D features, the upper mid and lower trebles can get harsher, and was one of the thing that I did not enjoy with MicroIDSD. It is not artificial feeling to me, but yet harsh and neither smooth nor natural. It isn't a thing that break it or make it. I overlooked it because it is simply an "add-on feature". I just never turned that flip switch on. Neither using the X-bass even. I remember preferring the sound coming of micro Idsd as original as it could be. The only thing I did enjoy a bit was the "phase" options.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #2,439 of 4,252
I agree that when turning on 3D features, the upper mid and lower trebles can get harsher, and was one of the thing that I did not enjoy with MicroIDSD. It is not artificial feeling to me, but yet harsh and neither smooth nor natural. It isn't a thing that break it or make it. I overlooked it because it is simply an "add-on feature". I just never turned that flip switch on. Neither using the X-bass even. I remember preferring the sound coming of micro Idsd as original as it could be. The only thing I did enjoy a bit was the "phase" options.

I thought it might be worth mentioning that I didn't experience this from the 3D feature on the iCAN SE. Guess it says to me that the 'harshness' (to the few of us) isn't caused by the add-on effect.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,440 of 4,252
Might be worth remembering that the components used for XBASS and 3D also need to burn in and will improve somewhat with some time.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,441 of 4,252
  I've owned the ALO CDM and I'm demoing the iDSD BL now, the ALO CDM is still definately the better (and more portable unit) IMO but for about 1/3rd the price it's certainly not that much better. The iDSD BL aims high!

My main issue with it is that it's just not really portable, it is essentially a Transportable device, so it's great unit for someone who travels a lot and wants to use it with their laptop for example. But for walking around the house it's just too bulky. Sound quality wise though it certainly is one of the best devices I've heard around $500. Very impressive little unit, kind of reminds me of my old Burson DAC/Amp.

Yeah....holy **** this alo cdm is something ><

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,445 of 4,252
Tour review up. Not final review of product, that will be written. What a unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back