Identifying AKG K240 variants w/o badges?
Mar 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dogwan

100+ Head-Fier
Today I scored a pair of (what I'm pretty sure are) K240's off of CL for $10.

The only thing is they have no badges identifying what model they are. (Monitors or Studios?)

Here's what I know...
-600 ohm
-Gold rings
-Single entry cord which is fairly stiff and has "ribbing" that runs lengthwise.
-Cord is NOT detachable.

Is there anyway to identify which variant they are either by opening them up or in the details?

In the attached pics pay no attention to the pads or felt in front of the driver. I've already started playing around with them. When I pulled the original stiff pads off I found the foam of the driver screens was deteriorating. A quick vacuum took care of that. And I cut out some thin felt to use in its place. I also found the crappy pads from my Fostex T50rp's fit almost perfectly and were more comfy than the hardened pleather ones that came on the cans.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 10
AKG K240M (Monitors) 600-Ohm.
I just bought a used pair off eBay, they arrive on Monday.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Mar 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 10
there was like 50 billion different variants of every akg headphone. the early monitors use the sextett baffles(so did the early DF's). then later models used woven fabric with more ports, and then later on a type of weird type of woven paper and then just cheap paper ports closer to what the studio uses on the newest ones before akg fully discontinued them(the monitors were out till mid 2000's i believe).

the anniversary edition your thinking of is the akg 240 jubilee.

op you have the monitors. you can tell by the ''gold'' rings. the monitors are hard wired too. the earlier monitors are balanced with a 4-core wiring and a 1/4'' jack like the sextetts were and later models are hard-wired with 3-core wiring(shared ground) and a 3.5mm jack(i found this stupid what akg did. they expected people to use a 600 ohm nominal headphone off a portable and low-powered interfaces and mixers).

seem like you have earlier monitors with 4-core wiring so your pair is already balanced(each driver has a dedicated negative/ground. the negative wires act as a double ground).

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Anyone here know what material to buy for replacing the damping ring with?

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Anyone here know what material to buy for replacing the damping ring with?

i used just fiberglass rolled up. have it in my sextetts lp and DF's.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 10
I found the perfect stuff at an aquarium supply store and just fixed mine.

The only hard part was getting the cans apart to replace the foam. I'm pretty adept at these things and I still broke a wire.

Look for replacement sleeves for the "H.O.T. Magnum" brand filters.

It's the right thickness and totally open matriculated (?) foam. The only thing is it's blue instead of black. Less than $10 for 3 filters and I didn't even use one for my AKG's.

http://www.petco.com/product/2791/Rite-Size-FoamFilter-Sleeves-for-HOT-Magnum.aspx

-Dogwan

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I found the perfect stuff at an aquarium supply store and just fixed mine.
The only hard part was getting the cans apart to replace the foam. I'm pretty adept at these things and I still broke a wire.
Look for replacement sleeves for the "H.O.T. Magnum" brand filters.
It's the right thickness and totally open matriculated (?) foam. The only thing is it's blue instead of black. Less than $10 for 3 filters and I didn't even use one for my AKG's.
http://www.petco.com/product/2791/Rite-Size-FoamFilter-Sleeves-for-HOT-Magnum.aspx
-Dogwan

Thank You, Petco is only three miles away.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 10
I ordered all my replacement parts from Frank at AKG and everything arrived very fast.  If you want to buy oem parts such as the foam, damper pieces, etc. I'd recommend giving him a call.

http://www.akg.com/site/distributoren/powerslave,id,12,nodeid,28,_language,EN.html

The parts list is here: http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/36/K240_m_stu4055d215ac91a.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back