Ideal Headphone (HD800/Audeze) music, suggestions,please
Feb 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #287 of 443
  yes, and then some people seems to think the hd800 lacks low.....?

I think for some people, myself included to a degree, needed sometime to adjust and learn to listen neutral and fast transients. If you're used to Denons or slower flabby speakers, the bass can be off-putting. Once you learn what the HD 800 or electrostats are really doing, it becomes hard to go back and enjoy those slower fuzzy speakers. I have yet to hear electrostats, but I think I'll have a different experience from a lot of people saying the Stax are bass anemic.

Anyways, to get back to the music, I have been listening and using Steely Dan albums for testing. I was late to the party, but I'm guessing everyone is already familiar? If not, I'll post some tracks and links.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #288 of 443
please do
smile.gif

Steely Dan is 40 years of music..... analog, digital and if I remember correctly one album was recorded in analog, mixed digital and mastered in analog. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #289 of 443
Really like his album 'Aja.' It sounds great on all systems. I was going on a walk late at night and listening to it through iPhone6+ and EarPods and it was very engaging and could make out that it was well detailed, even though you couldn't hear it to the extent on speakers or top headphones.

Also love this track from the Gaucho album: 

Obligatory with this track:

biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #290 of 443
On a side project, I'm going through over 300 hip hop, rap, and pop albums (WAV) from the late 90s and 2000s to find out the best mixed and mastered stuff. Of course, the 'music' side is still important, but having a well mixed and mastered album can make things a lot more appealing.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #291 of 443
Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" is SOLID. Have listened to it multiple times over the past few months and each time it holds up. Highly recommend checking it out. Superb mixing and mastering. It just flows all the way through as a result.

Recommended equally for music and audiophile lovers. I got the deluxe version going here late at night.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #293 of 443
Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" is SOLID. Have listened to it multiple times over the past few months and each time it holds up. Highly recommend checking it out. Superb mixing and mastering. It just flows all the way through as a result.

Recommended equally for music and audiophile lovers. I got the deluxe version going here late at night.

I take it it's the vinyl version you're talking about?

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #294 of 443

I take it it's the vinyl version you're talking about?

I have the 24 bit version. Web release.

EDIT: Link - http://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/album/the-20-20-experience-deluxe-version-justin-timberlake/0886443854406?player_type=flash#item

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #296 of 443

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/56904

Ugh... 
tongue.gif

LOL give it a shot, you might like it 
biggrin.gif
...If you want stuff that scores really high and sounds great, I have a bunch of Orchestral stuff, including movie scores from top orchestras (Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Chicago, Vienna etc.). Gramophone + Qobuz Classical is all you need to explore stuff.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #297 of 443

LOL give it a shot, you might like it 
biggrin.gif
...If you want stuff that scores really high and sounds great, I have a bunch of Orchestral stuff, including movie scores from top orchestras (Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Chicago, Vienna etc.). Gramophone + Qobuz Classical is all you need to explore stuff.

examples please
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #298 of 443
Dizzy Gillespie - To Bird With Love
Recorded live by Telarc at the Blue Note, Jan. 1992.
feat. Benny Golson, Paquito D'Riviera, Clifford Jordan, Jackie McLean, Bobby McFerrin & David Sanchez.

Very dynamic (DR 19), crank up the volume!

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #299 of 443
  examples please
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do. Got some new monitors, so going to test stuff out before recommending more albums. They're even more resolving than the HD 800, so its time to re listen to a lot of stuff. Some of the stuff I recommended before like Diana Panton really holds up. Just beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back