Ideal Headphone (HD800/Audeze) music, suggestions,please
Mar 20, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #302 of 443
Recommended artist: Jane Monheit

Most of her albums are well done and similarly mastered, so you can go between tracks and its hard to notice if the album has changed if you put her tracks on shuffle. They have this rich wet sound up top that gives nice air to all the instruments and her voice. It suits the weight of her voice well. It's engaging while not trying to forcefully shove vocals down your throat, but not light enough that the vocals just float away without any euphony...

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #303 of 443
  Recommended artist: Jane Monheit

Most of her albums are well done and similarly mastered, so you can go between tracks and its hard to notice if the album has changed if you put her tracks on shuffle. They have this rich wet sound up top that gives nice air to all the instruments and her voice. It suits the weight of her voice well. It's engaging while not trying to forcefully shove vocals down your throat, but not light enough that the vocals just float away without any euphony...

I'll second this. Monheit is my go-to artist for vocal testing.

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #304 of 443
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #306 of 443
Something that I have noted as I have listened to the my system more is that the microphones employed in the recording have a certain characteristic when it comes to vocal recording of a solo performer, especially in regard to the "size".  As an example Louis Armstrong on the Ella and Louis recordings sounds as if he is quite close and the space his voice occupies is a large part of the field.  Compared to the Greatful Dead live recording I was listening to last night, Jerry's voice seemed physically small, almost pinpoint.  Both had equal clarity and sounded like real voices but the spatial characteristics were quite different.  

As I become more familiar with the  equipment and it continues to break in I am more impressed by the resolving power of these devices.  I am also becoming more aware that the recording engineer is as much a part of the artistic team as the featured artist.   How fun. 

Maybe I am getting to the point where the equipment is good enough for the here and now, and NOW is the time to start discovering the media that is out there waiting to be heard and experienced.  

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #307 of 443
Beethoven: Symphony No.9 in D minor, Op.125 - "Choral"

Christopher Hogwood directs the Academy of Ancient Music using period instruments and arrangements
to produce music as close as possible to that heard in Beethoven's time.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #310 of 443
Deep sub-bass by these pioneers of experimental electronica. The album is very dynamic at DR12.

Strap on your LCD-4 and knock a tooth out.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #312 of 443
Yes, that's the one.  Unfortunately not all YouTube posts are playable in all locations due to rights holder's restrictions.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #314 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
I'll second this. Monheit is my go-to artist for vocal testing.

Originally Posted by Kheadfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like her too but for natural SQ I still think the Sound Liaison recordings with Carmen Gomes are hard to beat;

+1

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #315 of 443
This recording of Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring is one of my favorites, by Eiji Oue and
the Minnesota Orchestra. Its a very dynamic recording (DR16) and the bass drum is especially
prominent with visceral impact and an unusually long decay.

Another favorite is Lorin Maazel conducting the Cleveland Orchestra, a standout Telarc recording with a spectacular brass section.
I can't find it on YouTube but the CD is on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back