Ideal headphone for studying - long hours
Aug 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

secondary

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am looking for a headphone that I can use for long duration.

Something i can use it without feeling its actually there and sound quality that is not too aggressive. It would be good if i can easily carry around, preferably without needing an amp.
[size=medium]

I wouldnt mind if its full size or in ear or otherwise.. thanks.
[/size]

If you think you have just the one.. please let me know.

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 14
A lot of it is personal preference.  I have used closed back headphones with cushions that surround you ears (my Sony's) and I use in-ear 'phones (Sennheiser).  I also use Grado, which are open back with bowl and flat comfy pads that sit on you ears.

Personally, my ears start to physically fatigue with all of my headphones other than my Grado headphones.  Because of the comfort and soundstage, I forget I have them on.  This is especially true for my SR80i's.  My 225i's I find I figit with the headphones on my ears after about an hour or so.  My 80i's I've had on my head for 3 hours without touching them.

Interestingly enough, Grado headphones get dinged for comfort quite a bit, yet I find them to be very comfortable.

I suggest Grado.  I also suggest that you purchase from a retailer you know you can return the headphones no-questions-asked if they turn out not to fit your comfort needs.

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 14
For me, grados were especially uncomfortable. Comfort seems to be a hit or miss and their sound sig was a bit too fatiguing (aggressive) for me for long hours. They also leak a lot so if you're looking to take them to the library I'd go with something else.

What's your budget? Music preferences?

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 14
I would definitely look into the Sennheiser line-up. They are comfy and have a laid-back sound signature. That laid-back sound signature sounds great, but doesn't force you to focus on the music. Great for background music.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 14
I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT250-80ohm .

Non-aggressive, slightly dark sound signature, comfortable (maybe not if you have large ears), small profile, fairly lightweight, and a curly cable that is screwed in which I think it excellent for portable compared to straight cable.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 14
my preference would be classical, jazz and bit of rock

budget.. around 200 pounds (300 USD i think)

I am looking into in ear phones Shure SE530.. would this be a good idea ?
(I have serious patience issue with headphones.. I always get it from Amazon and in less than 20 days I return them back.. recent one was the Senn IE 8.. unimpressive sound imho and uncomfortable..)

+ What made me a bit of an audiophile was the HD 595 - incredible mids ! ! without ever needing an amp (can't afford)

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Sounds like you want a pair of HD 650s.  Great for jazz, not sure about classical. 
They are often touted as laid-back, non- fatuiging, warm, smooth... I don't know why you wouldn't want to study with those...

Note that comfort is sometimes great out of the box, but sometime requires adjustment.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I am looking into in ear phones Shure SE530.. would this be a good idea ?

Kinda out of my element here. I don't listen to a lot of classical, a little jazz and rock though. Although I've never heard them based on my reading the Sennheiser line up seems pretty good. They are supposed to have a nice laid back sound sig. I've heard they really like to be amped though. I've also heard the SE530 has a similar sound sig to the HD650 but again I've never heard them so take that with a big chunk of salt. You may want to ask maverickronin as he owns both I believe. The HD580/600/650s are next on my list so I can't say a lot about them. Sorry, I couldn't help you more. Good luck!

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Grado SR-80(i) or 225(i)- these have been my most comfortable headphone. Although they sound better with an amp they do well without one. They're open and sound great. Especially for the price. Rock and Jazz.

Denon D1001- a light and very comfortable closed headphone. They sound good but not spectacular. A little bass heavy. Decent all arounders.

RE0- a very comfortable IEM. They have a clear and flat sound but are a bit bass light. Works well with different genres.

AKG K-701/2- needs a quality desktop amp. When broken in is very comfortable. Great open dynamic bargain. Works with a range of genres. Very balanced but a bit bass shy.

Senn HD800- to me, the most comfortable uber headphone. What doesn't it do? What can't it do? Needs a high quality amp.

I think the above are very comfortable headphones for different needs and prices.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 14
Check out threads talking about the AKG K 601 and the Sennheiser HD 600.

For the types of music you listen to, these headphones seem to fit the bill (plus, many people give them high marks for comfort).

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #12 of 14

Guess Porcupine Tree fans think alike :)

Quote:
Grado SR-80(i) or 225(i)- these have been my most comfortable headphone.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior  

" Guess Porcupine Tree fans think alike :). "

^5

Yeah, and I broke down and picked up a 225... Again. This time the "i" version. LoL. They're so light and extremely comfortable. I might even woodie them.

PT is great. I just wish Steve Wilson would have left Opeth's Damnation alone. LoL

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 14
talk about comfort, then talk about ATH AD series, for your budget, I think AD900 will be good, unless you a heavy basshead

also, AD series already sound good unamped, get amp will be better though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back