Ice Cream
Oct 4, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #46 of 72
Vanilla Bean all the way! Green Tea comes in a close second, but this one needs to be done right.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no! you're not supposed to eat the icecream after you drop it on the floor!
icon10.gif

Probably seeds from the vanilla bean. If you've got beans to spare - and in the current vanilla market you should - while cooking the ice cream mix you slice the bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds out before tossing all of it in the mix. Of course, you take the bean pod out before churning.

Anyhow, my own tastes in ice cream are a little specialized.

1st, it's apparently very hard to make a good peanut butter ice cream. Most of them are very bad. "Reeces" ice cream is without question the worst, but for different reasons than most.

The usual problem is that they use very thin (high oil content) sugary peanut butter and run it through the rippler - but instead of a ripple of peanut butter you get a ribbon of rock hard frozen peanut butter.

As far as i know, only two manufacturers have got it right - you use low-moisture, salty peanut butter because it provides contrast and breaks up into streaks in the ice cream base.

1st, and most briefly, Blue Bunny had a limited edition chocolate peanut butter about 10 years ago. It was keen.

2nd, and most surprisingly, Archer Farms (Target store brand) Peanut Butter Fudge ice cream is most excellent, and usually sold out at the local supertarget. I have consumed several gallons of it over the last couple years.

Aside from that, every few years i see a 5 quart bucket of Key Lime Cheesecake ice cream, and i buy it. I can't remember what brand it is. It might be local. That's the only size container I've ever seen it for sale in. I only ever see one bucket. It's a good key lime ice cream base with ripples of 'bakers cheese' (whatever that is) and chunks of graham cracker crust.

I'm also enjoying Breyers "Triple Chocolate" lately. Part of that is the Simpsons fan in me, part of it is an amazement with how much cocoa they packed into it.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #50 of 72
Pistachio ice cream. Mm.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #51 of 72
My favorite ice cream: Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia flavor.
cool.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #52 of 72
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #54 of 72
argh, too many favorite choices:

Strawberry
Mint Chocolate Chip
French Vanilla
Triple Chocolate Fudge with Brownie Bits =P

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #55 of 72
Speaking about ice cream, I've been looking to get a new ice cream scooper. The one that I currently have now just doesn't cut it. Has anyone tried the Zeroll teflon defrosting ice cream scoop:

651446-elec_lg.jpg

I've heard from my sister that it's an awesome ice cream scooper but it's drawbacks are it's expensive, it isn't dishwasher safe and that you need to be careful that you don't scratch the teflon surface.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking about ice cream, I've been looking to get a new ice cream scooper. The one that I currently have now just doesn't cut it. Has anyone tried the Zeroll teflon defrosting ice cream scoop:

651446-elec_lg.jpg

I've heard from my sister that it's an awesome ice cream scooper but it's drawbacks are it's expensive, it isn't dishwasher safe and that you need to be careful that you don't scratch the teflon surface.

Teflon?! Whatever for?!

The bowl shaped business end is mainly for making small balls of ice cream for cones. It's mostly a cosmetic thing. I don't find that style of scoop to be all that effective.

I don't really buy into the hot-liquid-filled-handle business. With enough leverage you don't need it to be hot.

I use One of These that i picked up at a thrift store. It's brutally effective but when the ice cream is very stiff i wish the handle were a little more blunt. I usually just wrap a towel around it. I like it. It's so utilitarian that the markings on it even make the concept of using it less appetizing. I just remember not to read the handle before using it.

Slightly more comfortable (and much prettier) is This Kind - often given away as a promotional item by banks and other businesses. My parents have one of these.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #58 of 72
Made some ice-cream last night. Gonna eat it later today.

It was surprisingly easy. All I did was seperate eggs, whip the eggwhites into peaks, add sugar and vannila, whip the egg yokes and more sugar so its thick and pale, fold the yoke mixture into the white mixture, whip cream, fold cream into white mixture, then shove it in a thin container into the freezer over night.

And thats it! It looks ok as well. Hope it tastes good!

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teflon?! Whatever for?!

The bowl shaped business end is mainly for making small balls of ice cream for cones. It's mostly a cosmetic thing. I don't find that style of scoop to be all that effective.

I don't really buy into the hot-liquid-filled-handle business. With enough leverage you don't need it to be hot.

I use One of These that i picked up at a thrift store. It's brutally effective but when the ice cream is very stiff i wish the handle were a little more blunt. I usually just wrap a towel around it. I like it. It's so utilitarian that the markings on it even make the concept of using it less appetizing. I just remember not to read the handle before using it.

Slightly more comfortable (and much prettier) is This Kind - often given away as a promotional item by banks and other businesses. My parents have one of these.

It's not about using enough leverage to get a good scoop. The whole idea behind the teflon coating on the scooper is to prevent the ice cream from sticking to the scooper. Heated handle or scoopers with their handle insulated to retain heat will help it from freezing up often therefore requiring it be less often dipped in water to defrost it. I've used insulated handle scooper vs the standard scooper side by side and there is a difference.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #60 of 72
I'm a chocolate guy.

But recently, I've been having a love affair with mint chocolate chip ice cream. mmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back