IC: Upcoming Toronto Meet
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #91 of 247
Their prices seem on par with other shops in TO (like Bay & Bloor Radio); so ya, they are pricey. I think the HE-500's were around $740, and HD-598's were around $320 (if I remember correctly).

I lived in the States for a while and am used to paying US prices for cans, so local prices seem outrageous to me now.
However, the guy working at Headfone Shop was real nice and helpful, answering all my questions and letting me take my time demoing as many cans as I wanted with various amps & dacs. They have some real hi-fi cans and gear over there.

Are businesses typically invited to these local head-fi meets?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #92 of 247
Speaking of local businesses, might be good to add a FS/FT section to the who's bringing what spreadsheet.

Always looking to try out new stuff and its always more tempting when you know you can buy it locally and free of tax.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #94 of 247
Quote:
If I might take advantage of this thread to ask a question, do any of you have Pricklely Peete's contact details? He has gone AWOL and doesn't respond to emails. I know he has had some health issues so I'm hoping someone might have his details from past meets and can find out if he is ok.

Ditto - I haven't heard from Brad since the last meet at Pat's, and that was quite some time ago.  If anyone out there can help locate Brad, it would put hopefully allay our concerns.  Would be nice if we could also get him out to this meet with some of his fantabulous mods. It's always a joy to converse with Brad - you always come away with tons of audio gear info. So if anyone has a contact please let us know.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #95 of 247
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well. As promised I have put the final updates to the spreadsheet and here it is, its looking like it might be a great turnout!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxipEdDGaHW4NUV3bVBUX2VuS2c/edit?usp=sharing

I have now moved on to finding a location in the Toronto area. I am looking at closer to the downtown core along with a more northern Toronto location (still along the subway line). As charliex pointed out, parking will also be crucial for people bringing a carload of gear. So we'll see how this goes, I hope to have it all done by the end of next week.

As for the date, I am also going to finalize this while I am choosing the location. I am think between mid March to mid April. This will give ample time for people to solidify that weekend (saturday most likely) in their calendars. 

As always, if your name is not in the spreadsheet then please send me a PM so that I may add you and your gear. Oh, and I noticed that a request for a FS/FT section to be added to the sheet. I have no problem adding it if people want to PM me what gear the have FS/FT.

Cheers

Edit: If you notice any mistakes in the spreadsheet I apologize, please send me a PM with the correction.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #97 of 247
I usually just walk into random classrooms and take them over but with such a large group I doubt that would be the best idea.

Theres rooms like these which are $31 an hour. It really depends the type of room that people would want.
http://rrs.osm.utoronto.ca/class_spec/f?p=210:1:250923054790076::NO:::

Another problem with U of T would be parking, it's pretty expensive down there.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #98 of 247
Quote:
I usually just walk into random classrooms and take them over but with such a large group I doubt that would be the best idea.

Theres rooms like these which are $31 an hour. It really depends the type of room that people would want.
http://rrs.osm.utoronto.ca/class_spec/f?p=210:1:250923054790076::NO:::

Another problem with U of T would be parking, it's pretty expensive down there.

Don't want to be a downer, but devil's advocate says:
1. At $31/hr means approx $200 or more for needed 6 hours.
2. Parking fees at U of T are outrageous.
3. 1 & 2 above would likely be a huge impediment to people
4. Usually the number initially showing interest halves itself as the meet approaches.
5. A positive with the tables and chairs - what about wall outlets?
6. What about possible door prizes/draws?

Is there not anyone out there with a house?

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #99 of 247
I have an idea. Since many of the drivers are doing.some of is a favour bringing such gear, would it be fair to have a 'tip' jar for gear drivers who need to pay parking?
I'd totally be okay with there even being some sort of minimum admission fee for non drivers, to let this financially be a fair venture.
Merkil is going through the trouble of organizing it, and SOMEONE has to put money down on the room rental. I think its fair to have the attendees somehow financially contribute.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #100 of 247
Depending on the amount of people/gear, I may be able to host.

My wifey (HEY BRYAN! WE GOT HITCHED! LOL!) and I moved to the most beautiful part of Mississauga there is: Port Credit/Lorne Park area. We are just a five minute walk from the lake. 

We would probably be utilizing the main floor and the basement. 

canuck_57 has to come as I still have his Dual record player, LOL!

Edited to add: WHOA. Just saw the spreadsheet. There's no way I can have that many people at my house. Ain't gonna happen! Sorry fellas.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #101 of 247
So are there any other ideas about a good rental space we can rent?

Im not from Toronto and so I don't know that area to well but I have called/emailed a few hotels in different parts of TO to get any idea of how much it will cost to rent a meeting/party room. Waiting to hear back as their sales people don't work over the weekend.

If somebody from TO knows of a cheap good location that might work then please let me know! 

I do agree that if we rent we will have to either all pay an small entrance fee or have raffles to cover some of the costs.

Thanks for your help guys, glad its coming together and that we are all working on it.

Edit: new update on the spreadsheet, as requested there is now a FS/FT section. I actually just noticed that the previous uploads were missing info so I have now converted the document to google docs format so you can see the whole thing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhipEdDGaHW4dEk2OExGY2I0MjFDM1FwenpVRzNxSnc&usp=sharing

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #102 of 247
Often what happens with these kinds of meets is that someone pays for the room etc. and ends up getting the money back through donations and whatnot. Invited vendors often help out too.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #105 of 247
I'd be interested in coming out, sounds like fun! I'm located in Mississauga. I can bring some planars along with some amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back