IC: NYC Area Meet
Sep 27, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #46 of 91
I was talking to meech. He said that the space he was looking at was great in size. It's around 22nd street 5th avenue.

The only problems is it's a Saturday and parking can be challenging around there. So those coming in by car may have to pay for parking.

As for help paying for the costs of the venue, how about we do a lottery / raffle where you pay a little something to get in the raffle? If we have 30 or more people, I think it could be feasible. I'm thinking you can win something like interconnects or powercords or something. I figure it's a little incentive rather that paying just to get in the meet to cover costs. Thoughts?

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #47 of 91
This sounds pretty good. My contact at SJU Manhattan campus is unavailable until next Monday. I'd rather have the venue secured sooner rather than later so I say we go with meech's space. Sunday is going to be difficult for parking but maybe we can work out some kind of carpool scheme for those bringing in equipment.

The lottery idea is a good one. A good power cord might be an excellent choice. Even if you don't have high end audio equipment you could still use it on a computer, right?

Did meech say what the total cost was going to be for the space? I'm also willing to help make up any shortfall, within reason - let's say around $50.

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 91
He says it's $150 (after they return your deposit) for 5 hours.

It's actually a Saturday not a Sunday.

>>>Even if you don't have high end audio equipment you could still use it on a computer, right?

That is correct.

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #49 of 91
Hey guys,

Actually it's $350 but $200 is refundable making it a total of $150.
I think that's a good price for 5 hours and the rafle idea is fantastic.

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #50 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's actually a Saturday not a Sunday.

Ooops! That was a typo on my part. I meant to write Saturday.
redface.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #51 of 91
Would this be a good raffle?

Zu Birth Powercord - $150

Raffle ticket - $10

x 30 people = $300

$150 to pay for the power cord, $150 for the meet.

From the poll I took it seems like most people would be willing to spend $10 to attend and if it means they'd have a chance to win a $150 power cord they should be even more willing.

Any other ideas?

Sep 27, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 91
Is DIY or a cheaper cord better off? This would allow us to raffle more things and what if 30 people don't enter. Would it be one price to enter all raffles or different ones? The odds of winning 1 cord out of 30 people is less than say 3 cords.

Any extra $ we can donate to head-fi / jude.

Sep 27, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #53 of 91
I can talk to my karate instructor to see if he would be interested in renting space on a Sunday. The place is in Brooklyn, not far from Grado labs and parking is not a big problem. I think the place will hold no more than about 25-30 people though. Is this better or do you guys prefer to go the Manhattan route?

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #54 of 91
bifcake: personally, I prefer it to be on a Saturday in the outer boroughs and on a Sunday in Manhattan. I assume he's busy on Saturdays. The only reason I prefer a Saturday is that it gives me an extra day to "recover" after the meet before I have to go back to work.

At this point we just want to get a site secured so we can make this official, get a head count, gear list, and demo equipment, if possible. I'm open for anything. It seems like there is enough interest from the community that no matter what date we have it, we will have a decent turnout.

lan: If we go with multiple prizes it should probably be only one entry but you can purchase multiple tickets. So maybe we can lower the price for a raffle ticket to $5 but you can buy as many as you want. The more tickets you buy the better your chances of winning something.

I don't know too much about power cords. That was just a suggestion. Maybe we can get Zu to sell us some stuff at a discount and we can have a few prizes. I know they sell their interconnects on ebay as a promotion. This might be a good promotion for them also.

DIY might be a good idea, too. I usually get my cables made by itza2mer. His prices are really good and he makes nice stuff. I'm sure I could commission him to make some cables for us. Then again my equipment doesn't merit high end cables. Maybe there are other DIY cable makers that want to get the extra exposure and would be willing to give us a discount.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #55 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
bifcake: personally, I prefer it to be on a Saturday in the outer boroughs and on a Sunday in Manhattan. I assume he's busy on Saturdays. The only reason I prefer a Saturday is that it gives me an extra day to "recover" after the meet before I have to go back to work.

At this point we just want to get a site secured so we can make this official, get a head count, gear list, and demo equipment, if possible. I'm open for anything. It seems like there is enough interest from the community that no matter what date we have it, we will have a decent turnout.

Are you saying that I should talk to my karate instructor or should I not do that and just let Meech take care of things in Manhattan? Saturday meet would probably not be possible in Brooklyn because they hold classes on Sat unless you guys want to make it later in the day like after 5pm. Let me know what you guys want to do.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
Are you saying that I should talk to my karate instructor or should I not do that and just let Meech take care of things in Manhattan? Saturday meet would probably not be possible in Brooklyn because they hold classes on Sat unless you guys want to make it later in the day like after 5pm. Let me know what you guys want to do.

I was just talking from a personal point of view but I'm open for anything. Sunday is fine. We'll stick with an afternoon meet. That's what's worked in the past. I just want to have a venue set as soon as possible. I would say talk to him about it tentatively. Let us know what he says and we'll make a decision.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
lots of people have the quail powercords.

I don't!
biggrin.gif
Also, I was thinking that a Zu Birth would be something that a lot of people might like to try out but few would probably spend the money. Even if you have a Quail, you might want to do a comparison. You could always sell the one you didn't like, or sell the Zu to make a nice little pile of change
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
for a 150 bucks, i'd say a pair of dt531s

Well, those are hard to come by now, but I get the point. However, for some folks a pair of $150 headphones is kind of "ho-hum." I guess you could always sell those too, if you didn't want to keep them.

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #59 of 91
[size=x-small]OK GUYS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.[/size]

I really need you guys to respond to these questions because it makes no sense for me to continue to look at this space in Manhattan if it doesn't work for everyone.

1st) Of the people that are planning to come to this event, how many of you are driving?

2nd) If you guys have to pay about $20 to park your car, would that definately deter you from attending?

3rd) How many of you guys are planning to come by public transportation?

I went to go look at the space again and it definately suits our needs. The location is on 22nd Street and 5th Avenue. If you've ever seen pictures of the Flatiron Building in NYC, it's the apartment building that's across the street to it's left in all the photos.

Anyway, I scouted out the parking situation and it looks like all of the parking garages are about $20. I did find an outdoor parking lot about a block away that told me that on Saturday (for a standard size automobile) the price would be $13. I will go back to verify that because the person I spoke to was an antendant and I'm not too confident he knew what he was talking about. If he was accurate, then that's great but for the most part all of the garages were from about $18 to $23 for 10 hours. There's also a possibility that you might even find a spot on the street as I did see available sidestreet parking about 2 blocks away. There's plenty of meter parking in the area also but it is scarce and you will probably have to run outside every 2 hours to put coins in the meter.

The date would have to be Saturday November 13th as it is the only day the room is available in November. The time would be from 12pm to 5pm.

I REALLY need you guys to respond as we are getting close and I'd like to know to if we're going to make this happen or not.

thx

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #60 of 91
I could do this,but may not be able to make till around 1:00,I would be driving in.Paying for parking is no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back