IC: NYC Area Meet
Sep 17, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #31 of 91
I'm interested. If any Boston guys want to give me a ride, or I'll take the chinatown bus. If I do take the chinatown bus, anyone willing to give me a ride to the meet/ride back?

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 91
Update on SJU:

I spoke to the director of events at the school and filled out the proper form. I got a call back today and as it turns out the space I requested is not available for November 20. I was told via voicemail that I could have a classroom for $150. However, there are some classrooms that can accomodate 80 people and others that can accomodate 8 and power varies from room to room. I tried calling back but they might be gone for the day. I can also ask if the space I requested can be had for a different date and what the cost would be.

One caveat: they are going to require liability insurance. This could be a deal breaker depending on what kind of coverage they're looking for.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
I checked out a possible meet location for us the other day on 30th street in Manhattan. It turned out to be a total dump and it was way too small. It was like a kindergarden classroom and it had about 8 power outlets.'

Definitely sounds too small but I'm not sure 8 power outlets is much less than what we had at Grado. We can always bring power stips/extension cords.

Quote:

I'm going to check out a rec room this weekend in an apartment building on 22nd street. I think this room is about 40 feet long by 20 feet wide. Max capacity is 60 people and I think the rate will be affordable. I'll take a look at it and let you guys know.

Great work meech! Thanks a lot.

Sep 18, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #34 of 91
I've never been to one of these. I've been oversees for the 3 years I've been at head-fi, but now I'm in PA. Hmm, I'm kinda scared. My tendency is to forget who I've argued with at Head-fi. Before I know it, someone might putting electrified HD650s on my head. I'd sure like to go, though.

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #35 of 91
Ok guys, I may have a place but it will have to be on Saturday the 13th. Is there anyone who absolutely can't make it on the 13th?

I didn't get a chance to go look at the room but I did reserve it for the only day available in November. My reservation is tentative because I haven't given them any money nor have I thoroughly looked at the space. I was in the room before about a year ago and based on memory it will suit us fine. I just don't want to make any financial commitment until I see it again and also confirm whether you guys can do the 13th.

The location is 22nd street and 5th Avenue in Manhattan. It a rec room in an apartment building. The price is $350 which includes a refundable $200 deposit (making the price $150) for 5 hours.

I'm going to try to get over there on Monday just to check out the power outlet situation.
Again I ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who absolutely can't do the 13th of November?

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #36 of 91
I can make it.

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #37 of 91
FYI,

Before you book it, parking will be a bitch on a Saturday. In fact, it will be impossible without spending $25-$30. Those attending the meet should be aware of the parking costs associated with it. Another thing is make sure there is no marathon that week. If there is, they start making preparations for it, so you don't want to be caught in Manhattan that weekend.

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
Before you book it, parking will be a bitch on a Saturday.

This is the double-edged sword of having the meet in Manhattan. For those traveling by public transportation, Manhattan is the most convenient. For those driving, the outer boroughs can be easier in terms of parking and traffic. The problem is that for those bringing in the high end gear they will need to drive.

The marathon is November 7, so this should not be an issue.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #39 of 91
If I were running the marathon on the 7th, I probably wouldn't finish until the 13th.
Of course I would have to run with my surround sound set-up mounted on the motorcycles that follow the marathoners, so I would take my time.

I can make it any day in November.

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #40 of 91
I just spoke with SJU again. The classroom they had in mind will not be adequate for a Head-Fi meet; it does not meet our power requirements. Other rooms are either occupied, too expensive or both.

The only way I can make this happen at the school is to do it through a student club. However, there is no A/V club right now and I can't even talk to the student government about new clubs until October.

Looks like SJU is out.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #41 of 91
I'm also fine with sat the 13th.

Sep 21, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #42 of 91
I forgot all about this, but SJU also has a Manhattan campus. It's located way downtown on Murray Street. I got the number of a guy there who can show me the rooms they may have available. I don't know if cost is going to be any different but at least availability should be better. I'm going to call him tomorrow.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I forgot all about this, but SJU also has a Manhattan campus. It's located way downtown on Murray Street. I got the number of a guy there who can show me the rooms they may have available. I don't know if cost is going to be any different but at least availability should be better. I'm going to call him tomorrow.

Awesome. That's much closer to where I live. Even if I end up cabbing over there, the out of pocket costs shouldn't be so bad then.

Sep 27, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #45 of 91
The meet's not dead yet. Sorry for going quiet on you but things were really busy last week. I will do all I can to secure a venue this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back