IC: los angeles mini-meet near UCLA
Oct 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #136 of 225

Quote:
I live in Santa Monica and can give you a ride if you don't live too far away
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks very much for the offer, but I was actually able to borrow a car for the day.  So sign me up, I'll be there.

And I live in the San Fernando Valley.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #137 of 225
Come on you guys. i am still waiting for the address and time of the meet.
I lived in Culver City years ago, corner of Overland and Culver Blvd, UCLA owned appartments. Driving from Redlands

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #138 of 225
Address is  in Venice Near Washington Street.

*note- you can not drive on Ocean front walk- our entrance is on "Speedway" which is the rear of our building. We are just around the corner from famous Hinano Cafe. For those early birds wanting an amazing breakfast- I heartily suggest Mercedes cafe...amazing pancakes, plantains,eggs, and various other things. 

These are condos...but each condo has its own "unique" street address even though we are all in the same building....odd but true.

What I can suggest for loading and unloading is this...

We have some guest parking spaces  outdoors (3) and 2 indoor spaces in the underground parking garage. However one lady always takes up one of the indoor spaces. We are limited to one guest parking space.

We have 2 spaces ourselves, and I'll try to park my own cars on the street so people can use 3 spaces (2 ours + 1 guest) at a time for loading and unloading- but then you'll have to park on the street or the beach lot so others can come load and unload.

It works pretty well as we have done things like this in the past. We have an elevator that opens into our apartment. We can send the elevator down to the first floor to pick people up- and then of course call the elevator up. The best way it works is that the last person loading his stuff into the elevator runs the elevator up and down for the next person. For those with lighter stuff- we have stairs too- just a single flight.

Lets shoot for 10-4pm  for the actual meet ... if we go a little longer.. so what..but those with families can join them at 2pm on the beach without getting scorn for spending a whole day in isolation land.. 

unloading from 9:15- 9:45 

Please be courteous to everyone, my wife is a little nervous opening up the house to everyone.

There will be a check in sheet at the door- just so we don't have uninvited people coming upstairs.

Sign up on this thread so people can tell when it is full but BE SURE to ALSO PM me your real name for the door list as well as for the complete address.

Best advice...Come early- eat breakfast at Mercedes Grill  or 12 Washington (both on Washington Street around the corner from my house.  Park your car before the beach goers use up all the parking. Jam out all day- hit Hinano Cafe for Burgers, beer and live music.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #139 of 225
Just to let you know, people may not even bother going if it's only 4 hours.  It is a ton of work to set up gear and then break it down again.  Most meets we have had run between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m  (with set-up starting an hour beforehand) -- an 8-9 hour day, but never less than 6 to 7 hours -- and then some of us always go out for dinner afterwards.  It is very generous of you to host the meet, but 4 hours may not even be worth doing for people that plan on bringing their rigs.  You might want to ask the guys if they are okay with that proposal.

You also need to make sure you have adequate power in your place for all the rigs that will be present.  You don't want to have your breaker constantly going off and powering down everyone's gear.  It's best to post a list of all the gear that will be hooked up, in this thread so people can easily see it and determine what they want to bring with them.  Also people need to be advised to bring their own extension cords and power strips or there won't be enough outlets for all the gear.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #140 of 225
Lots of work setting up and breaking down...takes time.   My window is more like 11 or 12-4 or 5.  But Golden Ears, your the boss, however you wanted it.  

I used to live a couple of doors up from Speedway on Clubhouse Ave.  Cool spot.  Moved over to SM about three years ago but still miss some aspects of it.

Edit-FWIW I will have my XCAN V3 amp and XPSU V3 external power supply there to audition and sell.  I need to sell it to fund my last headphone purchase.  So if anyone is interested I figured i'd put it out there.  It is a nice set up but i have several other amps both tube and Solid State and this one gets no use because it is in a separate room that i never use for listening with the TV and my stereo.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #142 of 225
Some people said I should pull the address and instead just PM the attendees... mostly because some people are apprehensive about bringing tons of gear and having the address public.

So I'll pull the address and PM the attendees the address.

How much power do you guys really need? I have a pretty big fuse box... but it does power a Jacuzzi, a huge amount of AC, a steam shower, hot water heater etc... Our other meet was in a small 20-30 foot meeting room in a  hotel.

I know the REAR living room is the weak spot with only 15 amps for the rear living room and rear bedroom. The Middle room has a 15-20 amp breaker, and the FRONT living room has the kitchen and a few other breakers.

I figure limiting it to 20-25 people should keep us within power requirements. But then again.... I know my 250 wpc bryston 4b's  dimmed the lights on a 15 amp breaker in my old house when fired up.. could some 15 watt class a triode amp trigger a breaker- IMHO I don't think so? But I will map out the outlets.

You LA guys know each other better.... let me know if anyone appears out of place. ie..a newbie with 1 post etc.

I was born and bred in Manhattan- so intrinsic trust isn't really part of my upbringing, but I think the head-fi guys are a good group in general.. have there been any incidents at any past LA meets?

I helped run an estate sale in Beverly hills two weekends ago... the crew that showed up first thing was pretty welll... uhhh... ... let's just say , I can't think of any party you would want them to show up at. But my experience at Meets has been amazing... but then again... I lived in Aspen and came down for the Denver Meet and provded a ALvry DA-11 and a apogee Mini Dac for the Rocky Mountain Audio fest in October.  Met Jerry of JH audio, Ken of ALO, the Ultimate ears crew, Ray Samuels, ...

At one point in the RMAF there was a black out...and I think Ray Samuels had a portable amp disappear..or perhaps it was the Ultimate Ears guys.... but I have to beileve that was highly unusual.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #143 of 225
One big question is - Do you have enough table space.  All the gear will sit on tables with chairs to sit in i suppose.  Maybe we should send you a list of the gear coming or table space needed.  I would think power would be okay.

Edit-If there are 25 people and they all need three to five feet of table length that is 75-125 feet of space for equipment.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #144 of 225
And I changed it to 6 hours.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #145 of 225
I'd be down for this.  I could bring my newly acquired Moth Audio Si2a3 and my ATH-L3000s.  I could also potentially bring my Woo Audio 4 Upgraded if I haven't sold it by then.  Although all that together would be insanely heavy as the Moth weighs like 50lbs and the WA4 like 35lbs.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #146 of 225
I don't think power will be an issue really.  People have said it about every local meet (with way more gear) and there's never been an issue.  There are really only a couple rigs that draw a large amount of power from what I've seen.  

The local head fi community is very cool.  Great group of people.  I would trust all the regulars with treating gear with respect, etc.  The last meet we had here was also at a member's house and he seemed impressed with everybody's behavior.  There were probably some 20-25 people at that meet and there were no issues as far as I am aware.  People have left thousands of dollars worth of their own equipment on a table to go listen to another rig and nothing bad has happened yet.  

Also, I'd be VERY surprised if 25 people showed up.  Gaurav had about that many people show up in total I think, and he organized his meet well in advance.  I think 10-15 is more realistic, but we'll see how the thread progresses in the next few days.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #147 of 225
I am looking forward to go, barring unforeseen circumstances. My wife will go but she wont stay. She'll probably go to the beach or shopping.
Looking forward to listen to everybody's gear,  treating them as the valuable items they are. May be I'll invite you guys to my home in Redlands for the next meet. I have lots of space. It is between Palm Springs and downtown LA.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #149 of 225
Yes, we did have an issue at the Marriott meet.  This user "myk7000" walked off with a pair of Ultrasone ED8 and someone else's cable adapter which greatly affected the last 1/3 of the meet because we were searching for them, but fortunately after some intense e-mails they were returned several days later.  There have been other issues with him on here regarding the for sale forum, so if it were me I would not let him anywhere near my gear.  But aside from that we have never have any problems with theft.  The L.A. group is an awesome one and I would trust any of them in my home.  Some of us have very expensive rigs and we always respect eachother's equipment and treat them with care.

What does often happen though is someone will pick up a pair of headphones and take them to another person's rig to listen, and then leave them there.  No matter how many times it is asked for people not to do this (and to make sure they return the phones to the rig where it belongs, and only after asking the owner if it's okay first) it still happens.

But we always have a great time.  Dinners afterwards are usually the best part of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back