IC: los angeles mini-meet near UCLA
Aug 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 225
bump :frowning2:  Somebody step up, I miss meets. 
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #78 of 225
ya doesnt seem like this is going to happen

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #81 of 225
sounds interesting. count me down. i'm in the same area :D

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #83 of 225
I was looking at the LA/OC Audio Society website and they are having their 3rd annual HeadRoom event at the Holiday Inn in Buena Park on August 22nd: 

http://www.laocaudiosociety.com/calendar.html

It's not exactly a meet, but I went to the first one and a few members brought their gear. Here is the impressions thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/253783/los-angeles-orange-county-head-fi-meet-8-19-07

I don't know if they are having people bring gear this time, but if they are, maybe this can turn into a sort of meet.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #87 of 225
+1 for OC.

I'm in San Diego as well, OC would be a much easier drive than LA. :)
Can bring: T1s, HD650, DT990/600, Schiit Valhalla (if its here before the meet), MAD Ear+HD (will have this within the next few weeks, have DV3322 now)

Quote:
Hey, anything ever gonna happen?  I don't really have any headphones to contribute but I am in the market.  I have the Bose In Ear headphones and they are decent, but that was before I realized how much better quality stuff there is.  I'd help support the funds for the meet though :) I'm in San Diego but Orange County is fine for me

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #88 of 225
I just got back from the LA/OC Audio Society's 3rd annual HeadRoom event at the Holiday Inn in Buena Park. Nice to be able to test a few things I hadn't heard yet: the iPad photo-kit through a Headroom amp into the AKG702, a few seriously pricey amps in the Luxman line-up into a recabled HD800, and a pair of HD650 from the fantastic W4S DAC (which by the way can drive headphones without trouble, with a cable adapter).

As for headphone comparisons, I liked the Hifiman HE-5LE better than the Beyer T1; it seemed more natural to me. I also listened to a pair of Denon AHD-7000 on a Headroom amp, and it benefits from the cross-feed, which had never seemed to me like a necessary feature.

Of course, I never win anything in raffles, although it was fun to watch Eve-Anna Manley trying to match tickets with raffle items; instead, I came away with several CDs. It is about the love of music, after all! - Sorry, but I thought maybe slightly detourning this thread with recent impressions will water the mouths of local head-fi people enough for someone to step up for a mini-meet...

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #89 of 225
I live in South OC and would love to meet in OC, LA or SD.

I can bring: Dac Wow 24/96 s/pdif & USB  -> Yamamoto HA-02  -> ATH-W1000X
Also: ProJect RM6 TT w/ Sumiko Talisman S (saphire cantilever) -> Project TubeBox II -> HA-02

I'd like to bring a couple cables I made to get feedback. They are interconnects made with aerospace wire ( 5 inside conductors that are 24 AWG silver plated OF copper wires. The inside wires are stranded each with 19 strands. They have kapton insulation with teflon covering. This is then shielded with a silver plated OF copper shield (19 strands X 5 shielded wires X four way braid = 20 wires X 19 strands or 380 silver coated stands in all) they are terminated with Cardas Quad solder onto Customatik SP-300 silver plated & gold RCA plugs.

I am using them as interconnects between phono stage and amp and dac and amp and I like them so much I am thinking of making more of them. I would appreciate feedback from others. I have Morrow Audio & Audio quest cables I will bring for comparison as well.

I am hoping someone will have a new Audio-GD ESS Sabre 32 DAC by the time we get together. I have not listened to any of the ESS chips and I would love to hear one.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #90 of 225

Quote:
I live in South OC and would love to meet in OC, LA or SD.

I can bring: Dac Wow 24/96 s/pdif & USB  -> Yamamoto HA-02  -> ATH-W1000X
Also: ProJect RM6 TT w/ Sumiko Talisman S (saphire cantilever) -> Project TubeBox II -> HA-02

I'd like to bring a couple cables I made to get feedback. They are interconnects made with aerospace wire ( 5 inside conductors that are 24 AWG silver plated OF copper wires. The inside wires are stranded each with 19 strands. They have kapton insulation with teflon covering. This is then shielded with a silver plated OF copper shield (19 strands X 5 shielded wires X four way braid = 20 wires X 19 strands or 380 silver coated stands in all) they are terminated with Cardas Quad solder onto Customatik SP-300 silver plated & gold RCA plugs.

I am using them as interconnects between phono stage and amp and dac and amp and I like them so much I am thinking of making more of them. I would appreciate feedback from others. I have Morrow Audio & Audio quest cables I will bring for comparison as well.

I am hoping someone will have a new Audio-GD ESS Sabre 32 DAC by the time we get together. I have not listened to any of the ESS chips and I would love to hear one.

i would LOVE to hear the ath-w1000x. i am also interested in IEMs. i own super-fi 5 eb, but i want a less bass-oriented pair. 

i just sold/traded away most of my stuff but i could bring the following to the table:
CMOYbb
super-fi 5 eb
ath-es7
dt 770 pro 80 ohm
ALO Rx portable amp

the CMOYbb is a fantastic amp that everyone needs to hear. for the price, its worth owning even as a novelty. and it pairs like a pro with the ath-es7.

i will also bring some home made cables as well that i would like feedback on. they are made with similar aerospace-grade wire. going to try and made some various types of ipod LODs and mini-mini. or somehting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back