IC: Alberta, Canada - Oct. 27, 07
Oct 5, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #32 of 107
Hey Guys,

I also will bring my turntable, it's got a pretty good needle and has been recabled, I will also bring my pre-amp (CROFT) which has been brought over from the UK (220 volt) + my T-Amp and some records (what do you guys want to listen to?)

Have we decided on a date and location?

Interested to listen to some Sen HD595 and Sen HD650

Enjoy

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #33 of 107
Date: October 27, 2007

I have a DJ friend who may be interested in coming. He has some pretty good turntables from Technic I believe, as well as Technic's flagship headphones (which I think are just rebadged V700s). He does it just as a hobby but he told me he just got a new mixer and is thinking of getting a dual CD player to use for DJ-ing as well. Turns out this will be a vinyl-ish meet.

I have a couple classical music records, although the variety isn't too great. Horowitz, Ashkenazy, Rubinstein, Kapell playing Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 and 3, some Brahms, Horowitz Classic Records Library, and ABBA's Greatest Hits. Booya!

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #34 of 107
I can bring a bit of vinyl, Sgt Peppers, Houses of the Holy, and whatever else I can dig up. I used to have an original Dark Side of the Moon but it got destroyed in a flood
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #35 of 107
You guys are probably the best guys to ask: where do I get more classical vinyls in Edmonton? I checked The Gramophone, the Junque Cellar and Blackbyrd on Whyte, but beyond that I'm not quite sure where else I'd get any. There are a couple stores in Edmonton that carry vinyl but a more directed approach is always favorable. I'm down for locations in Calgary too. What the hey, why not just go for the Greater Edmonton Area? Save us all some trouble.

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 107
Well, if I can make it, I'll definitely bring my:

Ultrasone PROline 750
AKG K601
Yuin PK3
Go-Vibe V5
laptop with Creative SB Audigy 2ZS Notebook
cables to connect everything

I might bring my Original Electronics Master and my Lite DAC-AH, but they're both pretty big and I'm not sure if I want to cart them around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are probably the best guys to ask: where do I get more classical vinyls in Edmonton? I checked The Gramophone, the Junque Cellar and Blackbyrd on Whyte, but beyond that I'm not quite sure where else I'd get any. There are a couple stores in Edmonton that carry vinyl but a more directed approach is always favorable. I'm down for locations in Calgary too. What the hey, why not just go for the Greater Edmonton Area? Save us all some trouble.

Audio Ark on 124th St. has a small vinyl section. It's a pretty nice place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #39 of 107
Hey guys,

Would it be possible to have it in the afternoon instead of the evening? It gives people the option of doing other things in the evening... but of course, we'll go with majority.

I was thinking something closer to 2 PM - 6 PM... it gives those travelling from Calgary time to come and eat prior to the meet, and then they could drive home that night if they so choose.

Tell me what you all like
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #40 of 107
Well joneeboi has a midterm at 2pm, so maybe 4-6pm or so. I'm still tossed up whether to stay overnight in a hotel, or to rough it out and drive another 3hrs back to Calgary. But I definitely want to shop at WestEd before the meet...

But at any rate, someone has to guide me to the closest gas stations around the University. Damn, too bad the bullet train isn't built yet.

It looks like we have a lot of equipment... we can't forget to bring power splitters/surge protectors.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #41 of 107
Garneau Esso on 109 Street and Whyte (82) Ave. is the closest AFAIK. There will be a whole bunch on the way in on Gateway Boulevard (depending on where you enter the city) but that's the very nearest to the University. Here are some others (north of the river):

Big Z Husky on Jasper Ave and 116 Street
Parliament Petro-Canada on 99 Ave and 109 Street

Garneau Esso is probably your best bet. I use it pretty regularly since I also have a Petro Pass. Makes life a lot easier.

Neither can we forget to bring the cameras. I'll see if I can grab another camcorder again. mb3k, it'd be an honour if you could take pictures at the meet. I used to enjoy looking at the galleries on your website but now there's only that one album.
frown.gif

Yuk_Fai: I agree on the timing thing. While midterm is the most immediate limiting factor, I can appreciate the desire to have it earlier. I will double check the length of that midterm (yikes, they're coming up fast) so we can have it earlier if need be. For the Calgarians it seems it might be almost an entire day for this meet. I'd be glad to book the rooms a bit longer to help make the most of your trips.

If everyone on the list comes, we have at least 12 people. I also talked to eric.w and he said he and a friend might be interested in coming. Perhaps I should grab some chips and pop cans. We'd have to be very careful, as you can all imagine. Yay/Nay for snacks at the meet?

Also mb3k, can I get a consolidated list of what you're bringing, partly for the gear list, partly just to get me excited. I'm interested in the CKK3, MAX and Beta22. I've never heard a balanced setup to date.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #42 of 107
Here's what I'll be bringing:
- CKKIII
- SOHA: uncased tester amp (my mule for testing different output caps, op-amps, etc.)
- Corda Cross-1 Crossfeed
- Modified Linkwitz Crossfeed
- AKG K701
- HD 650 (original cable)
- iAudio X5
- M-Audio Firewire Audiophile

I hope to finish my 3-channel (non-balanced) β22, and case up the σ22 by the meet.
It's gonna be hard to lug around the equipment.

Quote:

Neither can we forget to bring the cameras. I'll see if I can grab another camcorder again. mb3k, it'd be an honour if you could take pictures at the meet. I used to enjoy looking at the galleries on your website but now there's only that one album.
frown.gif

... plus my camera gear. The gallery you saw was only my 2nd official shoot
frown.gif
The pictures of the first shoot was more of getting used to the studio equipment rather than full-on shots.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #43 of 107
Oh yeah mb3k bring that second multimeter you mentioned in the PM and name your price. I think I'm going to pickup a nice Fluke for my primary work but I don't know yet.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #44 of 107
Updated OP again. Supposing my midterm ends at 4pm, we could go for 3 hours easily and could easily fill 2 rooms if we all come. Unless you guys want to stay longer, it'll be a minimum $60 so you guys are going to have to bring a little bit of cash. $5 - $10/person should cover it easily. Bring two fives in case people don't show up (like the last two times).

devin_mm: I've been thinking of a Fluke too. We use Fluke 175s in the labs at school, and they're much better than the $30 one I got from Canadian Tire and the $20 I got online for hfe transistor testing for the MAX. I think they go for $150.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #45 of 107
When I went to NAIT we had some fantastic electronics testing equipment like the Fluke 8845A bench DMM.

I'd like to add one more piece to the gear list (if they come in on time that is) my new pair of Grado GS1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back