iBasso T3 Help for a Noob (Cowon S9 -> iBasso T3 -> Shure SRH840)
Jan 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

olsonc84

Aka: craigjolson, spierce, audiophoholic, SunnyMcGrath
Just getting into the music listening scene and wondering what my volume and equalizer settings should be for the Cowon S9 when using an iBasso T3 and Shure SRH840 cans. I messed around with some of the presets in Jeteffect 3.0, but thought Normal might be best for use with the T3 since the EQ settings might get distorted. 

1. What settings should I use for JetEffect? Also, what is BBE? Been searching and can't find what the acronym stands for... I listen to mostly hip hop, R&B, and a little dub step, and alternative
  2. What should the volume be set on for the Cowon? I read somewhere that it should be maxed and you use the iBasso to adjust, but that doesn't sound right to me
  3. Is there a benefit to using Gain1 and/or Gain2 on the T3? Gain1 sounded like it increased everything dramatically, especially bass, and Gain2, I wasn't sure, maybe more mids and highs? Decided to use neither since it seemed to distort the sound, but wanted to know if there is something that I'm missing

I searched a little through the forums and found little pieces of information, but was hoping since I had multiple questions someone could help me out. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Don't have the J3, but have had the T3 and currently use the T4 now (only 1 gain setting, tho).  I thought 3 gain settings on the T3 was a bit of overkill, because the gain settings 2 and 3 give smaller gain increases compared to gain 1.  Very high impedance phones would need all 3 gain settings on to get a decent amount of sound to them.  Your Shure phones have a medium-low level of impedance, so you could try the 2nd or 3rd gain, or both together.  You usually want to give the headphones as much signal as possible without introducing distortion.

What I do with my T4 is this: gain on, volume at 8 (10 = distortion); then I adjust the volume on my player.  However, if you are using a LOD cable from your J3 (is there an LOD for the J3 available??), then the only volume control you will have is at the amp -- the line out is a constant volume on most all players that have one.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Hm, thanks. My T3 only has 2 gains. I'm using the iBasso CB06 cable to connect from my Cowon so I have volume controls at both ends. 

You're right about the Shures, they're pretty low to medium impedence so it doesn't take too much to push them. I just wanted some more at the low end. 

I'm going to test it out with your volume settings. Would I want to leave my jeteffect/EQ settings at default so it doesn't distort or should I be using BBE? Also, does using both gains add more distortion than only 1 or none? 

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 5
i heard my friend's s9 thru my t3d, and pretty much every setting is nicer than default lol... just play around and use the setting you like most!:) you might even use different settings for different songs! one of the many joys of a cowon haha!

and i used iems so i kept the gain at lowest setting, since there is hiss with the amp when i use even the slightest bit of gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back