iBasso T3(D) vs. Nuforce Icon Mobile
Dec 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Skoobs

100+ Head-Fier
would like to see comparisons between these two amps, seeing as people with this price range probably see them as competing equals.

which one has better sound definition, better soundstage

which one has less hiss, less interference with other devices, a quieter "mute state"

which has better bass (for bassheads)

also, which is better for high impedance cans, which is better for low impedance cans, and which is better for people that have one of each and want to be able to switch? My guess would be the iBasso, since it has so many gain switches. o.O haha

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 44
You want a hell of a lot from a ~ $100 amp - I'd probably get a rein on those expectations before they drag you into the wilderness, dangling from your saddle
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I consider the bass boost achievable from the T3 to be somewhere between 'just right' and 'boomy' depending on your willingness to keep playing with the gain settings. I still think the digital amp in my X is as good, if not better, but the T3 makes a very worthwhile difference with my iPod.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want a hell of a lot from a ~ $100 amp - I'd probably get a rein on those expectations before they drag you into the wilderness, dangling from your saddle
smily_headphones1.gif

qft

I've had an iBasso D2 and currently have the icon mobile. I like iBasso's build quality better. Nuforce has a gain switch, too.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 44
i never said i wanted anything out of the amp, its your opinions im looking for! im not saying each one has great soundstage or definition, but im sure its possible to tell which one is superior in each of these departments... doesnt mean they are great at it.

and i know the nuforce has a gain switch, but the t3(d) has two! that seems like overkill haha

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skoobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would like to see comparisons between these two amps, seeing as people with this price range probably see them as competing equals.

which one has better sound definition, better soundstage

which one has less hiss, less interference with other devices, a quieter "mute state"

also, which is better for high impedance cans, which is better for low impedance cans, and which is better for people that have one of each and want to be able to switch? My guess would be the iBasso, since it has so many gain switches. o.O haha

iBasso T3 is what you are looking for.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso T3 is what you are looking for.

i never said i was looking for one either... i am thinking about one for jogging with my IEMs, but i just thought this would be an informative thread. so... fail.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skoobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never said i was looking for one either... i am thinking about one for jogging with my IEMs, but i just thought this would be an informative thread. so... fail.

I was trying to make the answer easier, since all the questions had the same answer - T3. Is this better?

"would like to see comparisons between these two amps, seeing as people with this price range probably see them as competing equals."

The T3 is more natural, refined and balanced sounding than the Nuforce which has a little more treble coloration to it. I would consider the D2 Boa and Nuforce to be competing equals with different sounds. The Nuforce more mids highs oriented, D2 more bass/treble oriented with slightly recessed mids, and I said something similar in my review. But the T3 is closer to the level of the D3 and better overall than the D2 and Nuforce.

"which one has better sound definition, "

They are both fairly well detailed and don't hide much, but the detail is not up to the level of that found in the 3MOVE, Predator, Pico, XM5, D4 or D10. The T3 has better definition than the previous T4 - go figure.

"better soundstage"

The T3 has a more open soundstage than the Nuforce which is more forward sounding, but the Nuforce still carries good enough micro-detail for air and ambience so it doesn't sound closed in.

"which one has less hiss, less interference with other devices, a quieter "mute state"?"

Both are very quiet, with the very faintest possible white noise that could just be my imagination it's so quiet when setting the Nuforce at zero with my Westone ES3X (my best IEM for detecting hiss).

T3 has stronger bass - the Nuforce bass is not missing, but it is not as strong.

"also, which is better for high impedance cans, "

T3 - see my review.

which is better for low impedance cans,

The T3 just because the sound is better, but both seem to have good current for Denon and Grado and IEM.

and which is better for people that have one of each and want to be able to switch?

T3 again.

My guess would be the iBasso, since it has so many gain switches. o.O haha

I tend to think that people would see my sig line and go look at the links for my reviews of both amps, instead of telling me I'm full of fail for giving the short answer. Then the next guy with the same questions wont get any answer from me.

Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 44
Larry, I cant believe the effort you put in when others have thrown their arms in the air and left Head-Fi long ago. You are an exceptionally patient and tolerant individual - kudos.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Larry, I cant believe the effort you put in when others have thrown their arms in the air and left Head-Fi long ago. You are an exceptionally patient and tolerant individual - kudos.

Yes I agree. I was even surprised when I have asked questions and I even read his reviews, but I still didn't understand some of things he stated, he remained very patient and helped me with my purchases
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 44
There are truly some patient and helpful people on Head-Fi. Even when members behave like asses..

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 44
Tremendous Respect to Headphoneaddict
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to make the answer easier, since all the questions had the same answer - T3. Is this better?

"would like to see comparisons between these two amps, seeing as people with this price range probably see them as competing equals."

The T3 is more natural, refined and balanced sounding than the Nuforce which has a little more treble coloration to it. I would consider the D2 Boa and Nuforce to be competing equals with different sounds. The Nuforce more mids highs oriented, D2 more bass/treble oriented with slightly recessed mids, and I said something similar in my review. But the T3 is closer to the level of the D3 and better overall than the D2 and Nuforce.

"which one has better sound definition, "

They are both fairly well detailed and don't hide much, but the detail is not up to the level of that found in the 3MOVE, Predator, Pico, XM5, D4 or D10. The T3 has better definition than the previous T4 - go figure.

"better soundstage"

The T3 has a more open soundstage than the Nuforce which is more forward sounding, but the Nuforce still carries good enough micro-detail for air and ambience so it doesn't sound closed in.

"which one has less hiss, less interference with other devices, a quieter "mute state"?"

Both are very quiet, with the very faintest possible white noise that could just be my imagination it's so quiet when setting the Nuforce at zero with my Westone ES3X (my best IEM for detecting hiss).

T3 has stronger bass - the Nuforce bass is not missing, but it is not as strong.

"also, which is better for high impedance cans, "

T3 - see my review.

which is better for low impedance cans,

The T3 just because the sound is better, but both seem to have good current for Denon and Grado and IEM.

and which is better for people that have one of each and want to be able to switch?

T3 again.

My guess would be the iBasso, since it has so many gain switches. o.O haha

I tend to think that people would see my sig line and go look at the links for my reviews of both amps, instead of telling me I'm full of fail for giving the short answer. Then the next guy with the same questions wont get any answer from me.

Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are truly some patient and helpful people on Head-Fi. Even when members behave like asses..

The problem, as I see it, is that everyone has a limit.

There is a point where we all have to do our homework, and telling other Head-Fiers that 'I dont have time to read through this thread, but can you compare the following amps and tell me which one is the best ?' really strikes me as a great way to burn through the goodwill of folk like Larry and Rob. There are contributors and there are serial time-wasters : no different to any other internet forum, but thats my two cents worth.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

The problem, as I see it, is that everyone has a limit.

There is a point where we all have to do our homework, and telling other Head-Fiers that 'I dont have time to read through this thread, but can you compare the following amps and tell me which one is the best ?' really strikes me as a great way to burn through the goodwill of folk like Larry and Rob. There are contributors and there are serial time-wasters : no different to any other internet forum, but thats my two cents worth.

Sad face, sounds a bit like me
redface.gif
. I research here almost all day coz is school holidays. However, a sale goes on and the thing that is on sale i always happen to have researched many things BUT that item
frown.gif
, hence all the questions. But I do think that most new members just don't take the time and effort to research most threads on the item that they are looking at, whether it's headphones or an iPod. They are presented with so many conclusions on it, they post a new thread for more help. It's here where some people may come back with comments like 'there are so many threads on this already, refer to (link)', which is understandable. Just my opinion
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 44
Lighten up Stang - I'm not referring to you or anyone who simply asks a lot of questions - I'm referring to the people who cant seem to focus on anything even vaguely resembling a thread. We can all ramble, and I've done it myself, but endlessly badgering the same people and refusing to take 'Yes' for an answer is just annoying, IMO.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 44
See my review as well...price performance cannot be beat with the T3...even if were 200-300 it would be worth it for such great SQ from a tiny package, and about 29 hours battery life!

And yes, Larry is one of the most thorough and helpful head-fiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back