iBasso SR2 Reaching for more music.
Aug 20, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #181 of 205
And I’m surprised that the reviewers haven’t specified what pads that was mounted on the headphones as far as I can remember. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The two pairs is in my experience are very different in sound.
I included an in-depth pad comparison in my review, while I also posted here about my findings with the pads.

The usual reviewers don't have the time to pay attention to such details, it's all about pumping out the review in the shortest amount of time, then they are onto the next. Can't say I haven't been guilty of this in the past, but with the SR2, I really took my time.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #182 of 205
I included an in-depth pad comparison in my review, while I also posted here about my findings with the pads.

The usual reviewers don't have the time to pay attention to such details, it's all about pumping out the review in the shortest amount of time, then they are onto the next. Can't say I haven't been guilty of this in the past, but with the SR2, I really took my time.

Yes I remember that one review I read compared the pads. very well done!

I understand that its very hard to go in-depth when reviewing. In the case with SR2 that leaves the reader without very important information when the two pairs of pads in my opinion makes SR2 sound almost as two different headphones. And for me the possibility to turn the pads makes me able to do small but important changes I tonality.

Thanks for your clarification :)

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #183 of 205
In the case with SR2 that leaves the reader without very important information when the two pairs of pads in my opinion makes SR2 sound almost as two different headphones.
Absolutely! Two completely different headphones. Some may think it's exaggeration, but anyone who actually took the time to listen to the differences between different pads will know that that's the case.

Also, there are likely several aftermarket pads that are compatible with the SR2, we just haven't discovered them yet. So far, the only compatible aftermarket pads are Dekoni @DekoniAudio's Fostex TH/Denon AH ear-pads. I have the Elite Hybrid ones, they are great!

Super cozy, and the sound is between the two stock pads, so you kind of get the best of both worlds. Worth checking out, imo.

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #184 of 205
Absolutely! Two completely different headphones. Some may think it's exaggeration, but anyone who actually took the time to listen to the differences between different pads will know that that's the case.

Also, there are likely several aftermarket pads that are compatible with the SR2, we just haven't discovered them yet. So far, the only compatible aftermarket pads are Dekoni @DekoniAudio's Fostex TH/Denon AH ear-pads. I have the Elite Hybrid ones, they are great!

Super cozy, and the sound is between the two stock pads, so you kind of get the best of both worlds. Worth checking out, imo.
It is such privilege to be a part of this community. All the knowledge and experience to take part of. Thanks for your information. I will check the pads you mentioned. Something between the two sounds perfect to me.

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #185 of 205

Is this the ones?
https://www.electromod.co.uk/produc...-Hybrid-Ear-pads-for-Fostex-TH900-Headphones/

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #186 of 205
Aug 22, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #187 of 205
I have a few pads that are compatible but have no clue who makes them and I made these changes to my set. No more closed back sound. The sound is better. I do increase low treble a bit as I believe the silicone surround dampens the cone much like it did on a set of JL Audio tweeters from my car audio days. The bottom of the speaker baffle was covered by thick paper seen in the last picture. There is nothing else inside besides that paper blocking it from being fully open headphone. Above the cone just that silk circle material. I did not want any blockage.

Attachments

• PXL_20220821_175556072.jpg
    PXL_20220821_175556072.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220821_175621124.jpg
    PXL_20220821_175621124.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220821_175458670.jpg
    PXL_20220821_175458670.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220821_175613186.jpg
    PXL_20220821_175613186.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220821_175605826.jpg
    PXL_20220821_175605826.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220822_123831682~2.jpg
    PXL_20220822_123831682~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #188 of 205
I have a few pads that are compatible but have no clue who makes them and I made these changes to my set. No more closed back sound. The sound is better. I do increase low treble a bit as I believe the silicone surround dampens the cone much like it did on a set of JL Audio tweeters from my car audio days. The bottom of the speaker baffle was covered by thick paper seen in the last picture. There is nothing else inside besides that paper blocking it from being fully open headphone. Above the cone just that silk circle material. I did not want any blockage.
Look at the cabling! AAAAAAAAAAAAA.

This is why I love iBasso. Never cuts corners, even in places that (in theory) nobody will ever see. @Paul - iBasso thank you. Just, thank you for being a genuine company.
Am not a fanboy, just giving credit where credit is due =) These guys work their asses off, that's for sure.

@Bonddam post the driver pics to https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-headphone-driver-pics-thread.202122/

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #189 of 205
Very interesting. You left one circular papper on the upside. What do guess would happen if that also was removed?

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #190 of 205
I removed the material on both the upside and downside of the driver. Suddenly the bright sounding stock pads sounded better to me. but it was almost a bit sibilant. I decided to put back the material on the top of the driver. I think with just a few minutes of listening that it sound better now compared to when both was removed.

I am always a little confused making changes. Its so hard for me to remember how it sounded before the changes. some days no music sond good. another day I can get completely lost in the music. It really changes from time to time. But just this moment I really enjoy the tonality after removing the paper back cover of the driver and with the pads that was a little to bright for me prior the change.

I think that I am most allergic to when voices and snare drums sound muffled. I can't here any of that now.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #191 of 205
You have a pic of the SR1 & SR2 together, do you still have both ? If so, how do you think they sound different ? I have the SR1 and really like them, but mostly with just the perforated pads. They really opened up the soundstage, helped the high end a little and cut the amount of bass a tad compared to the non-perforated. Still thinking about getting a pair of the SR2.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #192 of 205
I removed the material on both the upside and downside of the driver. Suddenly the bright sounding stock pads sounded better to me. but it was almost a bit sibilant. I decided to put back the material on the top of the driver. I think with just a few minutes of listening that it sound better now compared to when both was removed.

I am always a little confused making changes. Its so hard for me to remember how it sounded before the changes. some days no music sond good. another day I can get completely lost in the music. It really changes from time to time. But just this moment I really enjoy the tonality after removing the paper back cover of the driver and with the pads that was a little to bright for me prior the change.

I think that I am most allergic to when voices and snare drums sound muffled. I can't here any of that now.
So true. Some days I'm blown away by certain headphones, and other days I just can't get as involved. Even though I know they're a superb pair of cans.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #193 of 205
I believe Kennerton pads will fit. I have four different sets that I still haven't found time to play with. Not even sure I want to, as I love the sound with the stock pads.

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #195 of 205
Where can I buy the fenestrated sr2 pads to fit on my master 1? Been told they fit.
Same size as Foster, so pads for Something line the TH900 etc. You could also contact ibasso for pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back