Ibasso SR1 vs Hifiman Sundara, look for recommendation
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wilysudrajat

New Head-Fier
Has anyone had a chance to compare between Ibasso SR1 vs Hifiman Sundara? Since both of them are in the same price, or is there maybe any other recommendation for full size headphone open or semi-open back for sub $500.
Basically i like airy with good sounstage, clear, and detail sound. I own dt990 premium, grado sr60i mod alu cup, and grado sr80e mod wood cup.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi @wilysudrajat,

While I own the SR 1 & use it as my current reference headphone, I have several on I use for reference on rotation, I have demoed the Sundara many times & while it is a nice headphone, subjectively & personally, I am not a fan of Hifiman sound though they have some headphones I like, nothing stands out enough for me to own.

iBasso has better staging & scales very well with many sources &/amps, especially if your source(s) are good quality, at least CD quality so there is no real issue though I will say, SR 1 can be synergy dependant with certain sources, though your mileage may vary, personally AK & Sony DAPs have been both hit & miss where certain tracks are concerned.

Others who own the SR 1 have reported even better staging & clarity with different pads though I only change pads to increase comfort than sound quality, I suggest you look through the dedicated SR 1 thread for more perspectives.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi @wilysudrajat,

While I own the SR 1 & use it as my current reference headphone, I have several on I use for reference on rotation, I have demoed the Sundara many times & while it is a nice headphone, subjectively & personally, I am not a fan of Hifiman sound though they have some headphones I like, nothing stands out enough for me to own.

iBasso has better staging & scales very well with many sources &/amps, especially if your source(s) are good quality, at least CD quality so there is no real issue though I will say, SR 1 can be synergy dependant with certain sources, though your mileage may vary, personally AK & Sony DAPs have been both hit & miss where certain tracks are concerned.

Others who own the SR 1 have reported even better staging & clarity with different pads though I only change pads to increase comfort than sound quality, I suggest you look through the dedicated SR 1 thread for more perspectives.

Thank you very much for the respond @PaganDL my consideration lean on sr1 now since i have ak120ii to pair with, hopefully it will have good synergy

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you very much for the respond @PaganDL my consideration lean on sr1 now since i have ak120ii to pair with, hopefully it will have good synergy

Samma samma, @wilysudrajat,

Happy to help, though I would suggest you try other DAPs and sources as well & not base any impressions solely on just the AK 120ii. Through humble subjective & personal experience, most if not all AK DAPs, especially with certain genres, don't synergise well with SR 1.
So keep that in mind.

Hope this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back