iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #676 of 1,046
Yeah, I read all the thread, but I'm so insecure about buying those headphones, you know, they have basically only good aspects, @jamato8 said that they are on the same level or even better than the Utopia and I own the Elear, this seems too good to me to be real XD
Anyway, when you talk about cable noise and frame noise, do you mean that you hear that stuff moving when you listen to music?
It is too sensitive in transmittion of noise (cable) and to make selfnoise(frame).
If any thing touch to it - a lightweigh tension cable - noise come into ur ears. Frame build from metalic and plasic, common typical materials for cans, by structure it gains the noise. Self-noise make at the joints (I cant point out which joint).
Dont be worry those are just minus point, say fairly, not too bother me much. Found in quite enviroimtment only, no music playing.
Thats why I found frame noise lately.
But improvement will be better.
Example lets get damping material appears on the frame, like Senn does.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #677 of 1,046
I agree, and would add

1/ stock pads IMO
2/ Mmcx :).
3/ also not really Easy to drive. It is fine to perform out of anything though

@Whitigir,

Just adding more two cents...

1. I don't have a problem with the stock pads though it could be more comfortable personally but doesn't bother me all that much.
2. As stated, I have no real issues with MMCX as a general rule, actually like that connector though as stated, on the SR 1, it is fiddly.
3. I have no issue driving it with all my gear, both desk & portable.
Just curious, why are you having issues? Might be a synergy thing?

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #678 of 1,046
Yeah, I read all the thread, but I'm so insecure about buying those headphones, you know, they have basically only good aspects, @jamato8 said that they are on the same level or even better than the Utopia and I own the Elear, this seems too good to me to be real XD
Anyway, when you talk about cable noise and frame noise, do you mean that you hear that stuff moving when you listen to music?

Hi @Glasha,

All I can say is have confidence in yourself in making a choice, do not be persuaded or dissuaded by what others say, good or bad, since you have an iBasso product already, that should help making the decision easier as you probably know it is a good quality product.
As many & myself have said on various iBasso threads, iBasso customer service is really good, you can't go wrong if something does happen as @Paul - iBasso 's support is examplary.
As to sound, that all depends on you, as this is highly subjective & personal, I have heard the Elear & have demo it several times, (while I like the Elear, I have no interest to own it) SR 1 is certainly better than that sonically & technically but that is my humble perception.
SR 1 is among those headphones which needs good source synergy, which can be tricky if you are not familiar with or skeptical about but this is the most important thing.
At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with whatever choice you make.
Hope this makes sense.

Oh, one last thing, cable & frame noise depends on whether you are the type who moves or fidgets a lot in place or even when moving around, also dependant on whether whatever you're listening to is quiet or between tracks.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #680 of 1,046
I am preparing a short cable for this "wireless headphone".

20190112_180201.jpg

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #681 of 1,046
Hi @Glasha,

All I can say is have confidence in yourself in making a choice, do not be persuaded or dissuaded by what others say, good or bad, since you have an iBasso product already, that should help making the decision easier as you probably know it is a good quality product.
As many & myself have said on various iBasso threads, iBasso customer service is really good, you can't go wrong if something does happen as @Paul - iBasso 's support is examplary.
As to sound, that all depends on you, as this is highly subjective & personal, I have heard the Elear & have demo it several times, (while I like the Elear, I have no interest to own it) SR 1 is certainly better than that sonically & technically but that is my humble perception.
SR 1 is among those headphones which needs good source synergy, which can be tricky if you are not familiar with or skeptical about but this is the most important thing.
At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with whatever choice you make.
Hope this makes sense.

Oh, one last thing, cable & frame noise depends on whether you are the type who moves or fidgets a lot in place or even when moving around, also dependant on whether whatever you're listening to is quiet or between tracks.

This post is very helpful, now I want to finish reading all the reviews around the web though, then I will decide, tbh I know it is a good buy overall, but I have to think if I can spend that amount of money at the moment.
Thank you for your help guys!

P.S. I love iBasso. And Paul, I love Paul too.

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #682 of 1,046
Happy to help @Glasha,

That is correct too, budget is important, as stated many time before on other threads as well, when you feel comfortable spending a certain amount for gear, go for it, if not wait or forgo.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #687 of 1,046
I got the pt1 pads today. Holy m**** of *** !
Sorry, I self censored myself there.

Anyway... I was expecting the pads to tune the headphones more thinner sounding. That was not the case

Great midrange and bass is still there but soundstage debth and overall Image/imaging improved so much. It's the ability to create proper"scene" of the music that for me held sr1 a step back from hd800.

Something in the presentation changed too. Not that stock sr1 was bad but I feel that now there is fluidity, effortleness of sound that I occasionally hear with planars but mostly with e-stats. A thing hardly ever perceived with traditional dynamic headphones.

With such s short listen I wont (yet) say sr1 is in the same class as hd800. But it might be...might be even better. But it is damn close.

@Whitigir great job discovering the possibilities!

I'll make some measurements later

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #688 of 1,046

Anyway... I was expecting the pads to tune the headphones more thinner sounding. That was not the case

Great midrange and bass is still there but soundstage debth and overall Image/imaging improved so much. It's the ability to create proper"scene" of the music that for me held sr1 a step back from hd800.

Something in the presentation changed too. Not that stock sr1 was bad but I feel that now there is fluidity, effortleness of sound that I occasionally hear with planars but mostly with e-stats. A thing hardly ever perceived with traditional dynamic headphones.

With such s short listen I wont (yet) say sr1 is in the same class as hd800. But it might be...might be even better. But it is damn close.

Wow! My CB12 2.5mm and PT1 is on DHL person now. I cant wait!

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #689 of 1,046

major cosign. The change in pads, drops the bass a tad, but evens out the total frequency response from 40-20Khz. Soundstage does improve quite a bit, with the updated pads. It is now neutral (to my ears) but still remains exciting in the upper midrange, which I like. No more semi-open, these bad boys are wide-open, for every to enjoy, with the leak through the pads lol.

What is the science behind the pads, making these so much more enjoyable? I can run these off my phone for a good time, but with some power, my goodness do they respond.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #690 of 1,046
major cosign. The change in pads, drops the bass a tad, but evens out the total frequency response from 40-20Khz. Soundstage does improve quite a bit, with the updated pads. It is now neutral (to my ears) but still remains exciting in the upper midrange, which I like. No more semi-open, these bad boys are wide-open, for every to enjoy, with the leak through the pads lol.

What is the science behind the pads, making these so much more enjoyable? I can run these off my phone for a good time, but with some power, my goodness do they respond.

Yet, they will even scale up further if u drive with a beefy amplifier such as GSX MKII or dynalo, MiniDynalo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back