iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Jan 11, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #646 of 1,046
From the very limited time with it, I really like it. But I am always a little worried about the right connector the day I got it. I got off work just now and saw the post from david. Go and check my SR1, bang! I really wish I had more time with them before they break on me. And what's worse is that I don't have any other mmcx cables
I would contact Paul then. It is embarrassing how many expensive headphones I have that now don't get used.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #647 of 1,046
I treat all my gear extremely well, however the cable for my SR1 has only been removed/replaced a few times and has failed !! First time I’ve ever encountered this problem with an mmcx connector. I’m not into changing cables frequently and usually stick with the one I’m most happy with. Bit gutted about it but it is just the cable and the headphone is fine and sounds awesome

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #648 of 1,046
I treat all my gear extremely well, however the cable for my SR1 has only been removed/replaced a few times and has failed !! First time I’ve ever encountered this problem with an mmcx connector. I’m not into changing cables frequently and usually stick with the one I’m most happy with. Bit gutted about it but it is just the cable and the headphone is fine and sounds awesome
I wouldn't be gutted about it. :^) I have an expensive (for me) highly regarded Swiss watch, right now, in for the 3rd time in less than a year. S happens. I would bet a new cable will put you right.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #649 of 1,046
I would contact Paul then. It is embarrassing how many expensive headphones I have that now don't get used.
Already sent an email to Paul.hopefully I can have it back soon. I only have it less than a week and total listen time just couple hours, but it does sounds very good. The soundstage is definitely wider than my Clear with the PT1

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #650 of 1,046
I wouldn't be gutted about it. :^) I have an expensive (for me) highly regarded Swiss watch, right now, in for the 3rd time in less than a year. S happens. I would bet a new cable will put you right.
It would indeed, I did get to try it out when I got home and used a Campfire silver litz cable with the DX200/Mojo/WA2 and had a stupid big grin on my face for hours lol

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #651 of 1,046
The HD650 sucks compared to the SR1 (I have them and have for years) IMO. The only thing I have that is in the same arena is the Focal Utopia.
I know Sr1 is awesome and it will wipe the floor with hd650. However hd650 is a valuable reference as many people know how they sound. I'm just trying to maintain some objectivity here. Get some "hard data" on sr1 and the competition.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #652 of 1,046
Relate to mmcx.
Sr1 socket has different direction of lock/unlock mmcx pin.
->this can make wrong unlock when user turn to lock side then pull pin out when he/she want to detach the cable.
->be sure to look at lock jaw, has a space on cover you can see through.
->short stroke and fast - but - strong force is better than pull and pull and pull the pin. Just small stroke 4mm is enough to release the pin with "tik" sound. Use JUST your figure and thumb to do it. Dont use other part of your hand.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #653 of 1,046
I know Sr1 is awesome and it will wipe the floor with hd650. However hd650 is a valuable reference as many people know how they sound. I'm just trying to maintain some objectivity here. Get some "hard data" on sr1 and the competition.
Use 650 for years back with stock and with aftermaket cable, balance... I did find a better property in sound of 650 v.s sr1.
Stock sound on 1st day of sr1 to my ear is warm and dark tonal with silky smooth. It is dark as my 650, and has more rumble. I found bass overly pump in some track.
2nd day I break warranty : punch 12 holes (intial 8) use a needle to adjust air pressure on the soft layer on the plate. Immediately get improvement the sound : bass and treble change to positive. It is more close to neautral, not neutral-warm as before.
Day by day of use - burn in effect it is more to be neutral also.

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #655 of 1,046
@Whitigir In the end I gave up trying to fix the left connector, I don’t want to keep trying and hurt the socket or something, I cancelled my CB12s order and ordered CB15 and I’ll return the stock cable... at least I am not stuck in the meantime and I have a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter handy so... I’ll get to try the SR1 balanced out of the 1Z we’ll see!

I have tried the ALO Superlitz and it works fine but really I like the stock cable signature, I think the SR1 is better with a full copper cable rather than SPC.

I am now wondering if I’ll put the SR1 away in its case every day like I did, I’ll probably get a headphone stand and simply not remove the cable at all in the future, since nothing specific happened that I can identify and I couldn’t be more careful I don’t trust it won’t happen again...

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #656 of 1,046
@Whitigir In the end I gave up trying to fix the left connector, I don’t want to keep trying and hurt the socket or something, I cancelled my CB12s order and ordered CB15 and I’ll return the stock cable... at least I am not stuck in the meantime and I have a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter handy so... I’ll get to try the SR1 balanced out of the 1Z we’ll see!

I have tried the ALO Superlitz and it works fine but really I like the stock cable signature, I think the SR1 is better with a full copper cable rather than SPC.

I am now wondering if I’ll put the SR1 away in its case every day like I did, I’ll probably get a headphone stand and simply not remove the cable at all in the future, since nothing specific happened that I can identify and I couldn’t be more careful I don’t trust it won’t happen again...
This is exactly what I did one week after I got my SR1, bought a bigger case so I wouldn’t have to remove the cables every time I wanted to put them away !!!

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #658 of 1,046
Well I have had a lot of MMCX and never an issue so it’s a first for me...

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #659 of 1,046
Have just paid for PT1 and CB12s to ibasso.com.
Hope they will sound good on sr1.

I dont hope the pad will make sq change too much but atleast for summer, the pad wont make sweat on my ears.

The cable, cant guess how it sounds.

Btw any one is finding movable solution with headphone? Bcs I find sr1 + activo ct10 is a beatiful sound but light weight, thinking to attach ct10 on top headband of sr1 to make a "wireless" headphone.
Attach by vencro tape. Short cable use

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back