iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #616 of 1,046
Nope I am listening with the DX120 and the lineout, but the BL DAC with 3D+ turned on has a pretty great soundstage I think, I don’t like the switch on with everything but when using the onboard DAC it renders pretty great.
Hmmmm. I'm wondering if there is something amiss with my BL. The sound was just all around terrible when using the BLs DAC. Soundstage very narrow, muddiness all around. Dynamics were OK.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #617 of 1,046
Hmmmm. I'm wondering if there is something amiss with my BL. The sound was just all around terrible when using the BLs DAC. Soundstage very narrow, muddiness all around. Dynamics were OK.

I don’t see a reason why, note that I only tried the DAC for 20mn so I don’t have the same mileage you do. Maybe my expectations are lower or I haven’t heard better DAC/AMPs... Saturday I’ll have the OTG cable and I’ll give it some run for its money!

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #620 of 1,046
I can say that SR1 really shines for metal music. I would even say it's a perfect metalhead headphone. Made me listen to some old and new things I did not bother to listen to with HD800 and even Solaris. Last "Ghost" album is really delicious with SR1, good details but still full body and bassy.
My previous Beyerdynamic DT1770Pro was a really good metalhead headphone but it definitely needed good amplification and was fully closed.

I got an ordering itch again and order CB15 cable. Anybody else tested it?

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #621 of 1,046
As others have mentioned, the more hours of use, the better these phones sound! Particularly, depth of stage and accuracy of imaging. I have been using my SR1 via balanced from my Cavalli LC amp playing Tidal MQA files.

For single-ended play, the iBasso P5 amp is really hard to beat as the synergy between the two is superb. I still prefer the perforated pads as they seem to present a more expansive headstage than the solid. iBasso just seems to hit one home run after another!

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #622 of 1,046
The bottom of the three aluminum rings on the outside are loose ): anyone else have this problem?
One of typical problems.
1. Unmatching R/L pair pad assembled on one headphone.
2. Biggest alu ring loosen.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #625 of 1,046

I am having the same "problem" with the ifi BL micro. It sounds lovely with my Aeon Flow Closed, but with the SR1 it is congested and muddy, like everything is being muted (separation is lower and the highs especially are muted). I am using my Apple dongle at the moment and it sounds much clearer and more enjoyable than the BL micro...

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #626 of 1,046
Same here, having the issue with biggest alum ring being loose
Please use a Torx T5 to snug up the screws. Do not over tighten but a snug fit will keep them in place.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #629 of 1,046
In headphones ibasso sr1, drivers from B & W P7, or own design?
They have their own engineers that work just on the drivers. I asked them some time back and they do not outsource, all in-house work. Listening to them, they are up there with the best I have, the Focal Utopia. A little different sound, but same TOTL sound quality. Amazing at the price but most likely iBasso priced these to get them out to people so they could hear what they can do and they are way underpriced.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #630 of 1,046
Hmmm... so today I have an issue with the stock cable left MMCX connector and I am not sure where that comes from as nothing specific happened... when I plug the left connector there is no “click” and the connection doesn’t work so I get no sound :frowning2:

I checked with third parties cables, the socket is not to blame there, it works flawlessly.
Also did a little test and tried the right connector of the stock cable with the left socket and again, it works. The reverse (left connector in right socket) is not working so it’s definitely the cable left connector.

Big sigh of relief, it’s not the socket!

Something in the left connector of the cable must be at fault there and I don’t see what could have happened...

I just ordered a CB12s so that I am not stuck, chose this over the CB15 as I use the SR1 mostly with iFi Audio Micro BL or ALO CV5 which are a 3.5 plug so getting 4.4 is not what I need. Plus I like 8 wire goodness...

@Paul - iBasso In the meantime, can I send the stock cable back for repair / replacement? I kind of like the stock cable synergy with the SR1...

Has anyone encountered the issue?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back