iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #586 of 1,046
Screenshot_20190101-002719_Gallery.jpg
Happy new year! Paul.
Pls take a look at this pad. I think it is too thick with double layer.
Purpose may be reduce sound leaking out, but it is too close.
White tape on this pic is where I make pin holes - for driver breathing. When close those hole (as in pic) sound became as stock.
I like to extend the hi and open up soundstage, reduce the bold of mid so did those holes.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #587 of 1,046
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #588 of 1,046
The PT1, the new pads for the SR1 were not made when we came out with the SR1. We had tried a few different ones but did not like the sound. Since Whitigir had such a good experience we explored this again and then came up with the pads we have now released. So you can thank Whitigir! We will continue to explore pad types but the ones release, both stock and the PT1 should last a long time as they are made of good materials.

Everyone have a great and safe New Year! And remember, Enjoy the Music no matter what you are listening with!

Thanks @Paul - iBasso and team Ibasso. I am very honored to have my input being this honored by you and your team.

However, all the credits are from Ibasso alone, this perforated pads are carefully thought out and engineered to elevate and squeeze out every bit of the SR1 potentials. The perforated is lighter than the Brainwavz and the angle is to accommodate the whole structure design and the drivers. Really , the most important at all, without the SR1 potentials from Ibasso excellent engineers, we wouldn't have such product to enjoy at a price to performances ratio by a jaw dropping price.

Once again, I am glad that my enthusiasm is at some uses and being honored. It shows how much Ibasso do care about us enthusiasts and the whole community.

Happy new year to everyone and. Special thanks to IBasso.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #590 of 1,046
I also ordered pt1. As I'm cheapskate I wanted to save $15 so I won't get the pads for a month.

I have bunch of other pads coming in so I might do a little measurement session between different pads.

Nice to see more impressions of sr1 by new buyers. I've said it before but this is indeed a different kind of hype thread.

Often when a new $500 headphone is is published people who most praise the headphones have little experience with higher end gear and it is propably their most expensive headphone so far.

For some reason sr1 attracts people who have summit fi level gear and still get excited over these "affordable" headphones.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #591 of 1,046
Thanks @Paul - iBasso and team Ibasso. I am very honored to have my input being this honored by you and your team. However, all the credits are from Ibasso alone, this perforated pads are carefully thought out and engineered to elevate and squeeze out every bit of the SR1 potentials. The perforated is lighter than the Brainwavz and the angle is to accommodate the whole structure design and the drivers. Really , the most important at all, without the SR1 potentials from Ibasso excellent engineers, we wouldn't have such product to enjoy at a price to performances ratio by a jaw dropping price. Once again, I am glad that my enthusiasm is at some uses and being honored. It shows how much Ibasso do care about us enthusiasts and the whole community. Happy new year to everyone and. Special thanks to IBasso.

Don’t sell yourself short, you helped make it happen and kudos for that :)

But credit iBasso for listening to their customer’s input and react so quickly and provide an even more fullfilling listening experience, I think it’s highly distinctive as well as the fantastic customer service :beerchug:

Amazing value for money all across, DX200, SR1 and that made me buy IT01S which are amazing as well... wanted a SR1 in IEM form, it’s not exactly that but there are similarities) and of course DX120 which is puzzlingly good at its price point.

Right now each time I am home and I can (because of leakage and isolation, not always...) I pick SR1 first and I own some quite nice gear... that says something!

iBasso is on the roll, I can’t wait to see what 2019 has in store for us... and I am watering at the mouth for 2020 and a possible DX300 :D

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #596 of 1,046
Probably a stretch at this point in time, but has anyone heard both the Sr1 and the Meze Empryean?
I did, not side by side but I had auditioned Empyrean a couple of weeks ago. It's a different experience and can't be directly compared to SR1, "slightly" different class of device and driver :)
In terms of soundstage and fullness of sound Empyrean is out of this world!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #597 of 1,046
I did, not side by side but I had auditioned Empyrian a couple of weeks ago. It's a different experience and can't be directly compared to SR1, "slightly" different class of device and driver :)
In terms of soundstage and fullness of sound Empyrian is out of this world!

I will have to hear it to believe it. The one thing for sure is that SR1 comes stocking with non-perforated pads. So it comes out of the box as a closed back headphones, and by that ...it is easily outperformed by anything open back. Though I am not going to spend $3k for that

I had this negative experience with SR1 compared to 800s out of the box. But perforated pads changed it up quiet drastically when comparing opened back to opened back

I will repeat this SR-1 by definition is a hybrid headphones, it is neither fully opened nor closed design. While many other companies are struggling to get 1 thing done right either opened or closed, the SR-1 Can be excellent at both by PAD SWAPPING.

To be fair, you compare SR-1 out of the box to other closed back and hear how it perform. Only compare SR-1 AND PT-1 with opened back

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #598 of 1,046
I will have to hear it to believe it. The one thing for sure is that SR1 comes stocking with non-perforated pads. So it comes out of the box as a closed back headphones, and by that ...it is easily outperformed by anything open back. Though I am not going to spend $3k for that

I had this negative experience with SR1 compared to 800s out of the box. But perforated pads changed it up quiet drastically when comparing opened back to opened back

I will repeat this SR-1 by definition is a hybrid headphones, it is neither fully opened nor closed design. While many other companies are struggling to get 1 thing done right either opened or closed, the SR-1 Can be excellent at both by PAD SWAPPING.

To be fair, you compare SR-1 out of the box to other closed back and hear how it perform. Only compare SR-1 AND PT-1 with opened back

I think you were actually the one who wrote (or somebody else in this thread) that HD800 and SR1 are just completely different and should not be really compared. And here I would totally agree.
I have both and if they are just to different... Even from the wear comfort, possible usage setting etc. SR1 is a really good all-arounder at home, HD800 for me is a workhorse headphone I only use with my PC as a very high-end headset and for music during work. HD800 needs good amplification. I would not be able to use SR1 for more then 3-4h. HD800 works for me for even for longer period of time.

I think same applies for Empyrean. They are just different. Bigger, different materials and positioning. I auditioned them only with my DAP - Sony WM1A and they have performed exceptionally well. The name somehow reflects the sound signature - it's so full and big, I would say pompous but with very high level of detail. You want to listen to something like power metal with them.

Btw, some critical feedback in regards to SR1. Due to materials used (which I like a lot visually) the microphonics of both cable and headphones themself is more then usual compared to others I had (multiple Beyerdynamic and Sennheisers).

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #599 of 1,046
I think you were actually the one who wrote (or somebody else in this thread) that HD800 and SR1 are just completely different and should not be really compared. And here I would totally agree.
I have both and if they are just to different... Even from the wear comfort, possible usage setting etc. SR1 is a really good all-arounder at home, HD800 for me is a workhorse headphone I only use with my PC as a very high-end headset and for music during work. HD800 needs good amplification. I would not be able to use SR1 for more then 3-4h. HD800 works for me for even for longer period of time.

I think same applies for Empyrian. They are just different. Bigger, different materials and positioning. I auditioned them only with my DAP - Sony WM1A and they have performed exceptionally well. The name somehow reflects the sound signature - it's so full and big, I would say pompous but with very high level of detail. You want to listen to something like power metal with them.

Btw, some critical feedback in regards to SR1. Due to materials used (which I like a lot visually) the microphonics of both cable and headphones themself is more then usual compared to others I had (multiple Beyerdynamic and Sennheisers).

Yes, the sound signatures are quite different from Sr1 to Hd800s. Now the Empyrean interest me. But for that price, I am not sure if it can be touching Stax ?

Yeah, microphonic on sr1 Cables is troublesome. I have been writing about that lol

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #600 of 1,046
I did, not side by side but I had auditioned Empyrian a couple of weeks ago. It's a different experience and can't be directly compared to SR1, "slightly" different class of device and driver :)
In terms of soundstage and fullness of sound Empyrian is out of this world!

Thank you for your thoughts. With the talk of the SR1 competing and replacing some of the most highly regarded headphones on this thread (haven't heard any of themself, btw), I was obviously very curious about them. Good to know take atleast one person believes the Empryean is in another. Hope to hear some other opinions eventually. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back