iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #451 of 1,046
My point of view. SR1 may be kindly check in case big ear.
My ears are relatively small (only ear holes are big) so I have no problem with sr1.
But actually ear cup is not that big geomitrical. All of you see it.
It like denon AHD2000's cup size.
Best comfort in all meaning to me is hd820 : no heat, no press, no hot contact, no weigh, no wet...

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #452 of 1,046
Usually not a fan of his reviews, makes me sea sick, with all the jerky motion, but here it is!

My SR1 has a much better soundstage than my hd 650 !

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #453 of 1,046
+1 I have large ears and it works great for me, also I find the headband and overall comfort really good, I listened for 4 hours no fatigue :)

Clamping force is perfectly tuned (for me) enough to be stable but not too much as to provoke fatigue or discomfort.

I am still waiting to hear your view on the perforated pads on sr1 :wink:. It is very addictive to me. Late night listening for me since SR1 and those pads are only my Dx200Ti and SR1. The senses of timbres realism is just addicting

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #454 of 1,046
I am still waiting to hear your view on the perforated pads on sr1 :wink:. It is very addictive to me. Late night listening for me since SR1 and those pads are only my Dx200Ti and SR1. The senses of timbres realism is just addicting

Give me time :)
I have had a couple of busy days not able to listen to the SR1 as much as I’d want and I must say even the stock pads are great... Looks like the perforated are not as deep, unsure I’ll like that, we’ll see.

I’ll try them tomorrow and report!

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #455 of 1,046
@Whitigir So, I did some pad rolling to the Brainwavz XL you recommended and it’s very interesting, just like tip rolling or IEMs it changes the signature quite a bit indeed... soundstage is more open sounding and treble are really exquisite sounding, I also had to bump up the volume a bit. This is clearly brighter sounding, still silky smooth but I reverted to the stock pads as it fits my taste better and I find the pads are better quality and comfort as well.

I like the bass much better on the stock pads, it has just the right amount of kick while retaining great textures and detail. The signature of the SR1 with stock pad is to me more « visceral » if you will with punchier bass and fuller mids and I am willing to trade off a bit of openness and sparkle up top (which is pretty great already with stock pads) to get that perfect balanced of body and weight + openness.

I had never pad rolled before though, so I might explore this further with the SR1 (Dekoni pads ?) although frankly I just LOVE the stock pads SQ. The perforated show the technical abilities of the SR1 but for me it’s less engaging.

The more I listen to the SR1, the more I am convinced this is something quite special at any price point and it really clicks with me this one is an absolute keeper :D

I am not sure if burn-in could further improve the SQ as it’s so great out of the box!

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #457 of 1,046
@Whitigir So, I did some pad rolling to the Brainwavz XL you recommended and it’s very interesting, just like tip rolling or IEMs it changes the signature quite a bit indeed... soundstage is more open sounding and treble are really exquisite sounding, I also had to bump up the volume a bit. This is clearly brighter sounding, still silky smooth but I reverted to the stock pads as it fits my taste better and I find the pads are better quality and comfort as well.

I like the bass much better on the stock pads, it has just the right amount of kick while retaining great textures and detail. The signature of the SR1 with stock pad is to me more « visceral » if you will with punchier bass and fuller mids and I am willing to trade off a bit of openness and sparkle up top (which is pretty great already with stock pads) to get that perfect balanced of body and weight + openness.

I had never pad rolled before though, so I might explore this further with the SR1 (Dekoni pads ?) although frankly I just LOVE the stock pads SQ. The perforated show the technical abilities of the SR1 but for me it’s less engaging.

The more I listen to the SR1, the more I am convinced this is something quite special at any price point and it really clicks with me this one is an absolute keeper :D

I am not sure if burn-in could further improve the SQ as it’s so great out of the box!

Excellent! I had people asking me “is the sr1 that bad with stock pads and need to be swap out into perforated pads right away ?” My answer was “nope”, it sounds great, but to me as a person who has been spoiled with Hd800S and Stax flagship, I can not compromise on soundstage and those sparkles. That is why I swapped out into perforated pads right away, and to me, it is a must for my taste.

Thanks for reporting back, and yes, the Sr-1 will change with burn-in. It is something very special for sure

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #458 of 1,046
@davidmolliere how do you compare SR1 to Focal Elear?

Well the Elear is more forward sounding, it”s more “playful” and less “serious” the SR1 is a very musical reference headphone in my opinion. It sound more mature in terms of tuning, more refined. Strangely while it’s open back the Elear soundstage is smaller.

The SR1 bass has more density, but it’s semi open so that was to be expected. It retains what I liked about the AudioQuest NightHawk bass but with much more detail and textures. Overall by the way I think the SR1 is similarly linear as the NightHawk but with a much clearer and articulate signature, the NH is much darker. The upper mids have a clear boost while the lower mids are lean on the Elear, the SR1 with the stock pads is fuller sounding with clearly more lower mids although it’s very subtly done as to not cloud the mids which strike a nice balance between being organic and articulate at the same time. Upper mids are beautifully tuned IMHO, silky smooth yet great clarity and a very accurate tone and timbre. The SR1 have good transparency as well, with just the right touch of warmth to make them highly musical. The Elear mids is rougher and nowhere near as refined but can be fun with the right music. I think the SR1 is more versatile. Also thanks to well extended treble, with a focus on upper treble that provide air and definition. Lower treble are more boosted on the Elear making it exciting and a bit fatiguing as well.

This makes the SR1 much more versatile across musical genres, it can handle pretty much anything I threw at it.

One thing that struck me is how fast the SR1 driver response is, this is quite a surprise for me with a 50mm driver. It’s faster than the Elear and much faster than the NightHawk.This is also a great thing for versatility, with fasted paced music. Transients also benefit from this.

Excellent! I had people asking me “is the sr1 that bad with stock pads and need to be swap out into perforated pads right away ?” My answer was “nope”, it sounds great, but to me as a person who has been spoiled with Hd800S and Stax flagship, I can not compromise on soundstage and those sparkles. That is why I swapped out into perforated pads right away, and to me, it is a must for my taste.

Thanks for reporting back, and yes, the Sr-1 will change with burn-in. It is something very special for sure

Great to know I look forward to burn in sweetness :)
Any hints as to what changed for you with burn in ?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #459 of 1,046
Well the Elear is more forward sounding, it”s more “playful” and less “serious” the SR1 is a very musical reference headphone in my opinion. It sound more mature in terms of tuning, more refined. Strangely while it’s open back the Elear soundstage is smaller.

The SR1 bass has more density, but it’s semi open so that was to be expected. It retains what I liked about the AudioQuest NightHawk bass but with much more detail and textures. Overall by the way I think the SR1 is similarly linear as the NightHawk but with a much clearer and articulate signature, the NH is much darker. The upper mids have a clear boost while the lower mids are lean on the Elear, the SR1 with the stock pads is fuller sounding with clearly more lower mids although it’s very subtly done as to not cloud the mids which strike a nice balance between being organic and articulate at the same time. Upper mids are beautifully tuned IMHO, silky smooth yet great clarity and a very accurate tone and timbre. The SR1 have good transparency as well, with just the right touch of warmth to make them highly musical. The Elear mids is rougher and nowhere near as refined but can be fun with the right music. I think the SR1 is more versatile. Also thanks to well extended treble, with a focus on upper treble that provide air and definition. Lower treble are more boosted on the Elear making it exciting and a bit fatiguing as well.

This makes the SR1 much more versatile across musical genres, it can handle pretty much anything I threw at it.

One thing that struck me is how fast the SR1 driver response is, this is quite a surprise for me with a 50mm driver. It’s faster than the Elear and much faster than the NightHawk.This is also a great thing for versatility, with fasted paced music. Transients also benefit from this.

Great to know I look forward to burn in sweetness :)
Any hints as to what changed for you with burn in ?

Better soundstage and separations with more effortless timbres realism :D, and that addictive vocal gets more addicting

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #460 of 1,046
Better soundstage and separations with more effortless timbres realism :D, and that addictive vocal gets more addicting

Couldn’t agree more with @davidmolliere and @Whitigir with whatever they shortly review. I love very much SR1 with vocals if you are listening with the right amp like Dynalo I got (suggested by @Whitigir too).

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #461 of 1,046
Wow! Thank you very much @davidmolliere ! I listen to every kind of music, especially soundtracks, metal and rap. Plus, I watch movies only with my headphones on. So right now I'm thinking about selling my Focal Elear to buy SR1... Decisions decisions decicions :thinking:
To be honest I like the Elear's sound, I like the bass (even if I boost them) but I don't like the vocals, I wish the vocals were more present, I have to concentrate too much to hear them between the instruments. I wish a headphone that is analytical with power bass, do you think SR1 could be the case?

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #462 of 1,046
Listen to "If It Is" in TIDAL
Check out this track in TIDAL: "If It Is" by Michael Allen Harrison http://tidal.com/track/27614579

SR1 owners, don't forget to listen!
I would like to get a link of track that you love to listen

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #463 of 1,046
Wow! Thank you very much @davidmolliere ! I listen to every kind of music, especially soundtracks, metal and rap. Plus, I watch movies only with my headphones on. So right now I'm thinking about selling my Focal Elear to buy SR1... Decisions decisions decicions :thinking: To be honest I like the Elear's sound, I like the bass (even if I boost them) but I don't like the vocals, I wish the vocals were more present, I have to concentrate too much to hear them between the instruments. I wish a headphone that is analytical with power bass, do you think SR1 could be the case?

Yeah the Elear is pretty good for metal, I think SR1 would be better for rap (more bass kick) and soundtracks

Vocals are a treat with the SR1 indeed and more forward in the mix than the Elear.

I wouldn’t say the SR1 is analytical but reference tuning for sure (but musical not dry) and with the perforated pads (or possibly other pads still to be tested) you get bettter soundstage and extension. Bass are great but not overdone if you want TH900 like bass, there are some basshead headphone more suited for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back