iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Dec 17, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #436 of 1,046
Oh...my... god... I have tried the Hansound Zen 8 wires with the SR1 and clearly there is some opportunity for cable upgrade :D

Plugged balanced from 1Z, no problem connecting disconnecting Hansound has just the right kind of connector there plus no memory wire so all good for use with the SR1. I noticed iBasso was smart you have a small « window » that you can probably use if a cable is stuck in there, nobody mentioned that but really nice design.

3B8F8E83-9066-43F5-9663-2D504460744E.jpeg

Now the synergy of the Zen might not be ideal at least with the 1Z alone it’s getting a bit warmer there. But you clearly gain in terms of layering and dynamics and soundstage opens further in particular depth.

I picture how a Thor II 8 wire would sound on the SR1 and... oh my I am pretty sure this will bring those babies to another level yet!

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #437 of 1,046
Oh...my... god... I have tried the Hansound Zen 8 wires with the SR1 and clearly there is some opportunity for cable upgrade :D

Plugged balanced from 1Z, no problem connecting disconnecting Hansound has just the right kind of connector there plus no memory wire so all good for use with the SR1. I noticed iBasso was smart you have a small « window » that you can probably use if a cable is stuck in there, nobody mentioned that but really nice design.

Now the synergy of the Zen might not be ideal at least with the 1Z alone it’s getting a bit warmer there. But you clearly gain in terms of layering and dynamics and soundstage opens further in particular depth.

I picture how a Thor II 8 wire would sound on the SR1 and... oh my I am pretty sure this will bring those babies to another level yet!

And don’t forget the perforated pads :wink:

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #438 of 1,046

I want to have Plussound exo 8 wires for sr1. But it cost much more than sr1 :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #439 of 1,046
I want to have Plussound exo 8 wires for sr1. But it cost much more than sr1 :frowning2:

That’s the doom of this hobby and cables... luckily you can use the cable with several IEMs also ?

Anyway, the stock cable is good and well matched to the SR1 but there is always the need/want to check out if it can get better yet :p

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #443 of 1,046
PERFORATED is difficult to order with Amazon. They offered these as an option in the store, while I consider to buy
You should be good to go, give it a spin and let’s us know.

The reason perforated pads improves sound quality is due to the openings of the front chambers that allows the drivers to breathe easier. The Velour pads are similar but being microporous, it would have a different affects than perforated as the perforated is more like completely opened

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #444 of 1,046
That’s the doom of this hobby and cables... luckily you can use the cable with several IEMs also ?

Anyway, the stock cable is good and well matched to the SR1 but there is always the need/want to check out if it can get better yet :p
Ony an inear I have is kse1500, it cant be changed the cable (I havent heard some one can do that). If it can, I may cut my kidney :D
For sr1 only, I wont paid $1200 for cable

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #445 of 1,046
Ony an inear I have is kse1500, it cant be changed the cable (I havent heard some one can do that). If it can, I may cut my kidney :D
For sr1 only, I wont paid $1200 for cable

Thor II 8 wire is not 1200$ but 800$, if you take the 4 wire, 400$.
I’ll probably get one down the line.

The KSE is fixed but can be changed by Shure for the same cable though. I don’t think anyone is going to come up with an upgrade cable anytime soon, electrostats are very specific with the 200V that goes through them :p

Back to the SR1... I love them!
They’re really so engaging and musical, with very strong technical foundations the tuning really strikes a very very nice balance there with just the right touch of warmth. For a first headphone this is definitely a very mature tuning... Now I am thinking about the IT04 :D

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #446 of 1,046
Lol @ all this $800 cables for $499 headphone talk. Anyway, I ordered one on Amazon since nobody seems to have any non generic input on these. My only reservation is the headband (I can't tolerate suspension style headbands for the sake of wear/longevity).

I'm coming from a TH900 and just want more forward mids but to retain the bass quantity though I know these won't match the Fostex bass quality.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #447 of 1,046
These headphones are on my radar but I'm worried about the comfort. Out of all the headphones I've tried only Hifiman's Edition X (or HE1000) was comfortable for long listening. and I've tried Sennheiser's HD8 DJ (too much clamping force), DT880, Custom Studio (Earpads touching my ears), DT1770/DT1990 (hot spot on the headband), T1.2 (Earpads not big enough, but I give this one a pass). The headband does not seem to be a problem with iBasso's design but are the pads wide (and deep) enough for large ears?

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #448 of 1,046
These headphones are on my radar but I'm worried about the comfort. Out of all the headphones I've tried only Hifiman's Edition X (or HE1000) was comfortable for long listening. and I've tried Sennheiser's HD8 DJ (too much clamping force), DT880, Custom Studio (Earpads touching my ears), DT1770/DT1990 (hot spot on the headband), T1.2 (Earpads not big enough, but I give this one a pass). The headband does not seem to be a problem with iBasso's design but are the pads wide (and deep) enough for large ears?

The area for ears is plenty big. Should accommodate most any ears.

Lol @ all this $800 cables for $499 headphone talk. Anyway, I ordered one on Amazon since nobody seems to have any non generic input on these. My only reservation is the headband (I can't tolerate suspension style headbands for the sake of wear/longevity).

I'm coming from a TH900 and just want more forward mids but to retain the bass quantity though I know these won't match the Fostex bass quality.

Quantity or quality? Big difference. The quality of the bass from the SR1 is, IMO, without question better. The SR1 articulates the bass better and you can follow the rhythm of the bass line much easier. Just no comparison, IMO.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #449 of 1,046

+1 I have large ears and it works great for me, also I find the headband and overall comfort really good, I listened for 4 hours no fatigue :)

Clamping force is perfectly tuned (for me) enough to be stable but not too much as to provoke fatigue or discomfort.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #450 of 1,046
Thanks guys, and regardless of price difference would you say SR1 is a better sounding headphone than Aeon Flow / CA Cascade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back