iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #481 of 1,047
The cramping force is easy to adjust as the headband is metal, bend it inward or outward will help adjusting the cramp....
Do it any times listening.
It will elastic deform back to normal ( I want it not to does that) on the next use.
8pm to 1am listening continuosly. I dont remember amp's volume position..... I turn it time by time..... my ears seems no tired with volume of this headphone.
Just know I am listening quite big when some resonance heard, and touch to metal mesh it is vibrating....
Times to stop.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #482 of 1,047
Testing again between the stock and the perforated pads. To my ears the perforated pad’s sound has more silky smooth and sweet details in the treble and upper mid with vocals but can’t beat the stock ones in the lower spectrum. Are there any other pads that can combine those sounds in one that would be perfect? :smile_phones:

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #483 of 1,047
@singleended5863 I was wondering the same... looking at Dekoni but other than testing the thing not sure one can know beforehand

The SR-1 is very special for sure. I am surprised at this price point and it limited production...still not out of stock yet ? The cramping force is easy to adjust as the headband is metal, bend it inward or outward will help adjusting the cramp. That sliding leather band is helping also

Yeah this is surprising and probably due to the fact iBasso had no track record for full sized headphones... still, those who haven’t jumped on it will regret it :p

I never found the clamping force to strong, very comfortable in fact

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #486 of 1,047
MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL FRIENDS!

D5382B70-773B-47A0-AC89-99B32D960A49.gif

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #487 of 1,047
I just got a 6BF7 (aka « big fatty ») tube for the ALO CV5 and it’s an interesting pairing with the SR1, it makes it a lot more organic sounding, thicker and quite warmer... still despite this you don’t loose too much on technicalities. I think that the 6832 tube is a better match though, as it’s more articulate but still nice to have the choice :D

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #488 of 1,047
I just got a 6BF7 (aka « big fatty ») tube for the ALO CV5 and it’s an interesting pairing with the SR1, it makes it a lot more organic sounding, thicker and quite warmer... still despite this you don’t loose too much on technicalities. I think that the 6832 tube is a better match though, as it’s more articulate but still nice to have the choice :D

What is the sound of Sonotone tubes? Have you listened to them yet?

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #489 of 1,047
Hahaha, SR1 pair well with iphone6.
Impactful, vol and power is more than need, well balance, channel separation and transparence. So good set.
Still, my spk dap doesnt well synergy (w/o ext amp).

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #490 of 1,047
I just got a 6BF7 (aka « big fatty ») tube for the ALO CV5 and it’s an interesting pairing with the SR1, it makes it a lot more organic sounding, thicker and quite warmer... still despite this you don’t loose too much on technicalities. I think that the 6832 tube is a better match though, as it’s more articulate but still nice to have the choice
I did not think that tubes would add anything positive to the sound of the SR-1, due to the very low impedance (22 ohm). However I was wrong. I have been using two different tube hybrids that have added certain quality's to the sound. Sound-stage & imaging have improved as well as detail. These headphones are turning out to be one of my favorites, if not my first choice.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #491 of 1,047
I did not think that tubes would add anything positive to the sound of the SR-1, due to the very low impedance (22 ohm). However I was wrong. I have been using two different tube hybrids that have added certain quality's to the sound. Sound-stage & imaging have improved as well as detail. These headphones are turning out to be one of my favorites, if not my first choice.
I've been running mostly with my V281 and R-28 for amp duties. I need to give the headphone out on my LS-100 a try still.

I think the SR-1 would sound fantastic with 300b tubes. It's too bad I sold my WA5. Does anyone run their SR-1s with a 300b based amp?

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #492 of 1,047

:D

I think I am addicted to the SR-1, I only have a portable ALO CV5 amp but it does scale pretty good and I suspect good desktop amp will scale even further... I’ll make sure to try them at meetups with other people’s amp... even with @popof94 Viva Solista 845 (although I will never buy one... :p)

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #493 of 1,047
:D

I think I am addicted to the SR-1, I only have a portable ALO CV5 amp but it does scale pretty good and I suspect good desktop amp will scale even further... I’ll make sure to try them at meetups with other people’s amp... even with @popof94 Viva Solista 845 (although I will never buy one... :p)
When you want David:beyersmile:

We will be able to compare your SR-1 to the HE500 and to the Focal Elegia ( but this one is fully closed).

FBCFFEDB-E9F9-4259-A66C-8D595D5D3417.jpeg

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #494 of 1,047
When you want David:beyersmile: We will be able to compare your SR-1 to the HE500 and to the Focal Elegia ( but this one is fully closed).

I already know that the SR-1 sound better to me than the Elear so the Elegia I can pretty much guess which I will like better.

HE-500 never auditioned, curious to do so.
But the one I want to compare it to is the LCD-X (totally different brackets I know but...), I had a good first contact with them.

I am curious at how the SR-1 will scale on the Viva :p

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #495 of 1,047
Oh...my... god... I have tried the Hansound Zen 8 wires with the SR1 and clearly there is some opportunity for cable upgrade :D

Plugged balanced from 1Z, no problem connecting disconnecting Hansound has just the right kind of connector there plus no memory wire so all good for use with the SR1. I noticed iBasso was smart you have a small « window » that you can probably use if a cable is stuck in there, nobody mentioned that but really nice design.

Now the synergy of the Zen might not be ideal at least with the 1Z alone it’s getting a bit warmer there. But you clearly gain in terms of layering and dynamics and soundstage opens further in particular depth.

I picture how a Thor II 8 wire would sound on the SR1 and... oh my I am pretty sure this will bring those babies to another level yet!
David, you have bad influence on people (or at least at me), every time I read your posts or reviews I have an itch to buy new stuff... SR1 is ordered.

How would you describe the match with WM1Z in balanced mode? Enough power?

I plan to test SR1 against HD800 with the hope to get more musical and versatile over ears that can be used with DAPs... HD800 cables are suboptimal for frequent change and I hope mmcx of SR1 is a better fit to my usage requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back