Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #331 of 458
It does have all the pros of being midbass punchy.

With the mid-bass and mids being a little step forward, that does mean the staging and imaging does get closed-in a small step. Compared to my 300max's built-in amp.

In terms of obvious mids-haze or possible distortion, there is no problems.........well......other than my uncanny feelings about the treble.
Can you talk more about the treble? I've read your impression in the previous thread. Did anything change now that you've had more time with it?

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #332 of 458
I wish this was discussed more in your review :) How good is the PB5 exactly, besides coloring the sound? Do you hear an improvement in resolution, imaging and soundstage?

Good suggestion, I did just add some of my comments about LO into the review. Regarding PB5 and relative to IEMs I tested it with, I have mentioned in my original write up about the improvement in soundstage expansion with D16 (LO)/PB5 vs D16 (PO), and keeping the same high level of technical performance, such as layering and separation of the sounds, as in the original source (D16). Also, just in case if you missed in, in my sound description of PB5, I wrote "When it comes to the tuning and the tonality, PB5 yields a stronger bass impact (especially in mid-bass), a warmer lower mids which give additional body and analog texture to the sound, and a little smoother treble. As a result, PB5 colors the sound with a smoother and more musical tonality."

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #333 of 458
Sounding great out of the box!

IMG_1694.jpeg
I had a great first listen last night. Regarding the IC cable, while the big sturdy plugs look nice, I feel they inhibit the access to the volume knob a little and I'll probably be using another cable. I am very relieved that the stepped attenuator is not annoying to me, as I had read about the 320MAX. Maybe I should try that one as well some day.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #334 of 458
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #335 of 458
Everyone keeps saying PB5 is smoother than this and that.

Should I assume my PB5 arrived as a lemon? xD

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #337 of 458
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #338 of 458
and also, @Infoseeker , what iems/headphones are you using it with and what other dap/amp sources are you comparing it to?

So far I've used it with the Line-Out my Dx300Max, my dx220MAX, my Hiby R6 Pro SS (old, not the gen 2), my dx300 Amp12 LO.

And am waiting on a dual-xlr to 4.4mm cable to try it off my desktop stuff.

But I guess most of my portable stuff may be considered as being bright? And the Dx300 Amp12 being a Cirrus Logic dac definitely is a little etched as well.

My iem has been my SubTonic Storm (multi-driver iem) and my Simphonio VR1 single-dd.

My single-dd iems have been the best pairings because they all are older gen single-dd with more of a Treble roll off to compensate for what I've been hearing.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #339 of 458
So far I've used it with the Line-Out my Dx300Max, my dx220MAX, my Hiby R6 Pro SS (old, not the gen 2), my dx300 Amp12 LO.

And am waiting on a dual-xlr to 4.4mm cable to try it off my desktop stuff.

But I guess most of my portable stuff may be considered as being bright? And the Dx300 Amp12 being a Cirrus Logic dac definitely is a little etched as well.

My iem has been my SubTonic Storm (multi-driver iem) and my Simphonio VR1 single-dd.

My single-dd iems have been the best pairings because they all are older gen single-dd with more of a Treble roll off to compensate for what I've been hearing.

As you probably aware, when someone says brighter or warmer it is usually relative to something else they are comparing it to. Plus, everything is subjective and depends on how we hear it. Or if you are comparing LO of your source w/PB5 vs your source from PO which uses the internal amp, you are comparing the internal amp coloring vs the external amp from the same source. With Storm I heard about it being quite power hungry, so it could be more than just coloring but the different level of output power affecting the actual tuning as well. Too many variables in that equation :)

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #340 of 458
AWESOME COMBINATION.. A&K ACRO C1000(Roon Ready)+IBASSO PB5+Thieaudio PRESTIGE LTD..Incredible texture..Dinamics and Rich sound

IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg

Best Regards

Sisco

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #341 of 458
And even better... as a source the FIIO R9... It is more neutral than the Acro, so it is even better combined with the Ibasso PB5

It's TERRIBLE, the way the Thieaudio PRESTIGE LTD sound. The best combination so far, heard with these magnificent Iems. They are worth their price in Gold.

IMG_1842.jpg

Best regards

Sisco

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #342 of 458
And even better... as a source the FIIO R9... It is more neutral than the Acro, so it is even better combined with the Ibasso PB5

It's TERRIBLE, the way the Thieaudio PRESTIGE LTD sound. The best combination so far, heard with these magnificent Iems. They are worth their price in Gold.

IMG_1842.jpg

Best regards

Sisco

I realized I needed dual female xlr to 4.4mm interconnect cable to do this for my Fiio R7.

I had to find one off of Aliexpress and been waiting on that.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #343 of 458
I realized I needed dual female xlr to 4.4mm interconnect cable to do this for my Fiio R7.

I had to find one off of Aliexpress and been waiting on that.
Don t combine 2x XLR to 4.4mm with Ibasso PB5. R7/R9 LO .has 4,8V out . and Pb5 only accept max 2.5V. Better 2x RCA to 4,4mm..only has 2.4V. out ...
.perfect with IBasso Pb5

Best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #345 of 458
Dear Sisco,

why don't you use Line Out from the CA1000?
You can adjust the output voltage for the line out.
You can take a cable 2x Mini XLR to 4.4 Pentaconn.

Best regards,
Dietmar
Yes..I use LO in ACRO. 2V..but ACRO C1000 Only has RCA or 4,4mm LO..
FiiO R9 has XLR LO 4.8 V output or 2x RCA LO 2,4 V..

you were referring to the C1000T..and I have C1000. without T

Best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back