iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Apr 4, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #121 of 249
I know these are hard to find at the moment, but I know an authorized supplier based in the US. PM me for details.

I wouldn't stand to gain here, just trying to help everyone out.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #122 of 249
I can see using it with IT03, but the EMU I've heard have pretty forward treble for my tastes. PB3 seems to bring the treble forward, so I think PB3 + EMU would be to bright / hot for me. Perhaps your EMU are smoother than those I've heard of you prefer brighter sound, though...

Have you by chance heard the iBasso D-Zero MK2 and can compare? I'm not concerned with the D-Zero for its DAC, just its amp. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #123 of 249
  Haven't seen it yet but has anyone used the PB3 with the Mojo? I'm patiently waiting for mine
biggrin.gif

Now that you mentioned it, I'll try this pairing later.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #125 of 249
We worked to keep the signal path as short as possible on the PB3 to make it as clean for the signal as possible. The all metal case and good sized battery adds up to a solid amp that we hope everyone will enjoy. It is all about the music.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 4, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #126 of 249
  We worked to keep the signal path as short as possible on the PB3 to make it as clean for the signal as possible. The all metal case and good sized battery adds up to a solid amp that we hope everyone will enjoy. It is all about the music.

Hi Paul--

Great work on the IT03, I'm a huge fan!

Question for you: How would you compare the new PB3 to the D-Zero MK2's amp section? I'd be driving an IT03, an E-MU Teak and a ZMF Ori. Someone here noted that the PB3 can be a bit bright.

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #127 of 249
Haven't seen it yet but has anyone used the PB3 with the Mojo? I'm patiently waiting for mine :D

In my experience the PB3 in balanced mode brings out the best of the source used, including the Mojo. To me, the Mojo sounds better paired with the PB3 than does on its own.

I know people regularly state that the Mojo doesn't have an amp section and this is to increase transparency, however, from my listening experience, Mojo benefits from being connected to a good amp.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #129 of 249
In my experience the PB3 in balanced mode brings out the best of the source used, including the Mojo. To me, the Mojo sounds better paired with the PB3 than does on its own.

I know people regularly state that the Mojo doesn't have an amp section and this is to increase transparency, however, from my listening experience, Mojo benefits from being connected to a good amp.

Ahhh this is so nice to hear :grinning: Now i really can't wait for my PB3 to arrive

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #130 of 249
Hi guys.

Quick question about PB3's power and driving capability.

Is the 480mW ratings at which impedance of the IEM/headphone?

Do you think this will drive 300Ohm headphone smoothly? Say HD800s?

And do you think pairing this up with IBasso DX200 will be good for headphone driving?

Thanks.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #132 of 249
What IEM/s, Cans are you using? The DX200 already have Balanced port right? Why still get a PB3? (Just a question)

Yes correct.

I am using a HD800s. I use it with Audient id22 and id14 music interfaces single ended and drives great.

I am currently waiting for xlr4pin to 2.5mm adapter so I can connect it to DX200.

I tried lately the HDVD800 amp from Sennheiser and HD800s sounds fuller and more powerful.

So I think a powerful amp externally and balanced, could drive HD800s fuller and more powerful too.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #133 of 249
Yes correct.

I am using a HD800s. I use it with Audient id22 and id14 music interfaces single ended and drives great.

I am currently waiting for xlr4pin to 2.5mm adapter so I can connect it to DX200.

I tried lately the HDVD800 amp from Sennheiser and HD800s sounds fuller and more powerful.

So I think a powerful amp externally and balanced, could drive HD800s fuller and more powerful too.

Got it. I don't own the HD800s and my PB3 is just on its way. Other people are in a better position to answer your inquiry.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #134 of 249
Hi guys.

Quick question about PB3's power and driving capability.

Is the 480mW ratings at which impedance of the IEM/headphone?

Do you think this will drive 300Ohm headphone smoothly? Say HD800s?

And do you think pairing this up with IBasso DX200 will be good for headphone driving?

Thanks.

That's a great question, bluesnote.  

I'm always very annoyed, to the point of not wanting to do business with a manufacturer, when they give power specs without stipulating the load at which it was measured and whether or not the spec is per channel.

We've only been told it peaks at 480mW.  No load and no indication of whether that's the total output or the output per channel.  In other words, iBasso is intentionally insulting our intelligence with a worthless number!

Until iBasso gets real and provides the load into which the PB3 can peak at 480mW, we will remain insulted with an expectation that we should assume the PB3 puts out a total of 480 mW into 16 Ohms (?) or about 346 mW rms (about 72% of peak) into 16 Ohms, total, which would be 172.8 mW rms per channel into 16 Ohms.  

And I'm being generous to assume a load of 16 Ohms.  For all we know, it was measured into a 4-Ohm load or even a 1-Ohm load, though not likely.  But really, who knows?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back