iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Apr 2, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #107 of 249
The only decent review I have seen for this is here. http://headfonics.com/2017/03/the-pb3-mockingbird-by-ibasso/.

Don't know if the fellas that bought it here on headfi are not stoked about it or what it is but this amp seems to be getting zero attention.

At least Marcus here on the review rates it higher than the A5 amp.  I was willing to find out but there was too good of a deal on a IDSD black label for me to pass up so I had to pass on the PB3.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #108 of 249
  The only decent review I have seen for this is here. http://headfonics.com/2017/03/the-pb3-mockingbird-by-ibasso/.

Don't know if the fellas that bought it here on headfi are not stoked about it or what it is but this amp seems to be getting zero attention.

At least Marcus here on the review rates it higher than the A5 amp.  I was willing to find out but there was too good of a deal on a IDSD black label for me to pass up so I had to pass on the PB3.

The iDSD BL, I wish I have it too.  But that's an entirely different path compared to the PB3 which is a balanced amp.  The BL doesn't have balanced but full of other features that the PB3 doesn't have.  I'm happy with my PB3 and as for the sound, I don't hear much coloration from it.  The power is definitely there and the balanced feature is doing what it's supposed to.  Now I can use my i5 and iPod video with my balanced IT03.  I'm happy with that.  Whichever you choose, I'm sure it you won't miss out a lot, and just get completely different features.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #109 of 249
Balanced out of the X5iii is good but not great. My Pono is better sounding from the balanced end. Was thinking of getting the PB3 for stacking with the X5iii for use with my Z5. Still might consider the PB3.

As per the BL. Ya that is something I have always wanted. Recent sale on it was too good of a deal not to buy. Can't wait to try it out with my X5iii.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #110 of 249
  Balanced out of the X5iii is good but not great. My Pono is better sounding from the balanced end. Was thinking of getting the PB3 for stacking with the X5iii for use with my Z5. Still might consider the PB3.

As per the BL. Ya that is something I have always wanted. Recent sale on it was too good of a deal not to buy. Can't wait to try it out with my X5iii.

May I know what's wrong with the X5iii balanced out?  The PB3 will probably sound different as they implemented it differently compared to traditional balanced amplifications.  Not sure how on the X5iii.  I will try to compare them when I get the chance. 

I tried the original version of the micro iDSD and I was impressed.  I could only imagine the same and way more on the BL.

By the way, the Aune M1s balanced sounds great.  Really dark background, transparent sounding, and decent enough soundstage upgrade compared to its SE output.  Just mentioning since were on the balanced topic.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #112 of 249

May I know what's wrong with the X5iii balanced out?  The PB3 will probably sound different as they implemented it differently compared to traditional balanced amplifications.  Not sure how on the X5iii.  I will try to compare them when I get the chance. 

I tried the original version of the micro iDSD and I was impressed.  I could only imagine the same and way more on the BL.

By the way, the Aune M1s balanced sounds great.  Really dark background, transparent sounding, and decent enough soundstage upgrade compared to its SE output.  Just mentioning since were on the balanced topic.

Fiio made balanced out weaker than the single end when in balanced. Have to use high gain in balanced for enough juice it seems.  It has a different sound vs my Pono in balanced stage is not as wide similar in depth. It sounds nice but not the crazy immersive sound the Pono does with my Z5 in balanced. 

It seems the single end was more thought out vs the balanced end on the X5iii. So I was hoping the PB3 will add the necessary oomph I was looking for in balanced mode for my Z5.

Ya the crazy thing is I can get an M1S for $50 more. Lol.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #113 of 249
Bump this question up.. same X5iii user here.

@nmatheis
 how the highs and details on balance out, does it have sparkles and revealing?

Yes, good detail retrieval and sparkle. Scuba energetic. An especially good pairing with warmer/darker headphones or IEM IMHO. As I mentioned earlier, it's quite powerful even on low gain which means you have to be careful with the volume knob. A variable line out would be good to have if you're pairing PB3 with IEM.

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #115 of 249
I have an issue with driving some power hungry IEMs with my DAC/Amp Vantam CLM which has 80 mW per channel only.
Was looking around to find a proper balanced amplifier but not many portable amps with 2.5 mm output exist on the market. There is one in Japan but very very expensive.
This PB3 is another one and it is very affordable in comparison.  
Any idea on how this amp matches with Burr-Brown DACs? 

(One more psychological concern here is to connect a $1450 Vantam CLM to the amplifier of $200.
wink.gif
)

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #116 of 249
How are people liking this amp? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one to use with my iBasso IT03 and E-MU Teaks, fed by a Meridian Explorer2 or my LGV10.

I'm just hesitant to start dropping more money for balanced cables.

How much better does this amp sound in balanced mode? I know balanced ranges from "much better" to "slightly worse," depending on the implementation. I'm new to the balanced amp game, if you couldn't tell. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #117 of 249
How are people liking this amp? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one to use with my iBasso IT03 and E-MU Teaks, fed by a Meridian Explorer2 or my LGV10.

I'm just hesitant to start dropping more money for balanced cables.

How much better does this amp sound in balanced mode? I know balanced ranges from "much better" to "slightly worse," depending on the implementation. I'm new to the balanced amp game, if you couldn't tell. 

I can see using it with IT03, but the EMU I've heard have pretty forward treble for my tastes. PB3 seems to bring the treble forward, so I think PB3 + EMU would be to bright / hot for me. Perhaps your EMU are smoother than those I've heard of you prefer brighter sound, though...

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #118 of 249
Yes, good detail retrieval and sparkle. Scuba energetic. An especially good pairing with warmer/darker headphones or IEM IMHO. As I mentioned earlier, it's quite powerful even on low gain which means you have to be careful with the volume knob. A variable line out would be good to have if you're pairing PB3 with IEM.

Wonderful, need to audition this gem asap :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #120 of 249
I can see using it with IT03, but the EMU I've heard have pretty forward treble for my tastes. PB3 seems to bring the treble forward, so I think PB3 + EMU would be to bright / hot for me. Perhaps your EMU are smoother than those I've heard of you prefer brighter sound, though...

Interesting, that's the biggest reason I sold my Jotunheim... Too hot with brighter headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back