iBasso PB2/DB2, Schiit Magni/Modi, Fiio E17/E9K... How do they stack up?
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

randybandicoot

New Head-Fier
I own an iBasso DB2 and PB2. I am incredibly fond of their sound, but I've found that I've been leaving them in my office essentially all of the time and never actually take advantage of their built-in batteries. It's largely a question of size; as much as I love their sound, the two of them together don't exactly fit in my skinny jeans. The stack is more "transportable" than "portable" and my subconscious mind seems to have decided carrying them around just isn't worth the hassle most of the time. I generally just put on my SE-425s and call it a day. 

As such, I've been thinking that it might make sense to replace them with a relatively inexpensive desktop combination, using the price difference between the two on something I might enjoy more. I spend most of my waking hours at work, so I would ideally like to be able to do this without taking a huge hit in sound quality. I've heard very good things about the Magni and Modi, and I'm seriously considering ordering a set. This feels like a terribly silly question to ask, but I'm hoping y'all might be able to lend some insights that can help me make a more informed decision here. How do the different combinations compare? Are there any other entry-level desktop sets I might do well to take into consideration?

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 2
I also own the PB2/DB2 combo. I've heard the magni/modi stack at a meet. They are surprisingly similar sounding, assuming you are using th PB2 single ended instead of balanced. They are enough similar I wasn't interested in switching. The M&M stack is nice looking, and you might net a little positive cash flow selling the ibasso stack. I cart mine back and forth or stash it in a drawer at work, so transportable is a better option for me. No experience with Fiio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back