iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Mar 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #256 of 1,604
Well, the first part of my experimentation, whilst waiting for the PB2 to arrive was comparing an ipod 5.5 through a dock connector (Kimber cable) and the headphone outlet into the amp. I have to say, not a huge difference. Phones were HD650's and SR225i's. The Headroom amp has two inputs, so I can connect both, get the levels identical and then switch between them. There was a very subtle loss in dynamics and a tad less bass on the headphone output, but that was all. I guess, since the headphone output of the iPod is going into a high impedance, the series capacitor has less of an effect.  I also had a brief flirtation with Rockbox / Songbird but the randomness of the Rockbox interface started to annoy after several freezes and stutters. I couldn't tell of any fundamental improvement with flat EQ.

I hope all these nuances from my $700 add up to something significant in the end! It's rather fun playing though. The permutations are endless.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #257 of 1,604
Apologies for my ramblings but I just tried the iPod through my normal Sugden system, with Totem Model 1 speakers. The difference between the 256 kbps AAC and ALE was obvious. ALE was far more spacious and you could hear the ringing on cymbals. That surprises me. I expected the headphones to be more revealing than a loudspeaker system. Mind you, the Totem/Sugden combination is very transparent. It appears the phones are masking the differences and I might need to think of more revealing ones before I try and compare iBasso and Headroom amps. It also suggests that if I get to an equivalent transparency, I need to re-evaluate Rockbox too. I think the $700 just crept up.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #259 of 1,604

Quote:
Does anyone know if the DB2 will have the capability to tap digital output from the iPod just like the AlgoRhythm Solo?  If so, it will be perfect.

That requires a licensing, from what I understand, for the chip and is expensive. Unless things have changed. From what I understand, it won't. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #262 of 1,604
I had thought of this but why carry two DACs if one gets the job done.  Imagine if the AlgoRhythm Solo had balanced input and output, you wouldn't need the DB1 and likewise, if the DB1 can decode digital input from the iPod, you wouldn't need the AlgoRhythm Solo.  If such a DAC exists, I wouldn't mind paying extra for it as the whole package will become a little more portable/compact and there is also one less digital cable to purchase.  I am holding back on the purchase of the AlgoRhythm Solo and DB1 hoping such a DAC will be available in the near future.  

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #265 of 1,604

A PB2 is probably in my near future.  I'm holding off, as iBasso is currently out of the Senn./Hirose balanced cables.  Waiting (a week) for that gets me  closer to the supposed (March?) release of the DB2 so I'll probably hang tight for a couple weeks.  This leaves me to sit and imagine how wonderful/complete/perfect my life will soon be, but a nagging form-factor question plagues my euphoric vision.

I'm assuming that the DB2 will have it's output on the front like the DB1.  The PB2 inputs are on the back.  So if you're going to put the two on your desk next to your computer, you'd have the IC cable away from you and be looking at the front of the PB2, but the back of the DB2(1) with a USB or other cord coming out it's backside - toward you - to the computer.  Thus there is no way to have all your cables, except the HPs, of course, back and out of your way.

This just makes no sense to me.  The PB1 and DB1 were made to go together but have this ridiculous form factor incongruence.  It would make so much more sense (to me) to put both the inputs and outputs at the back of the DAC - not enough room I suppose.  In my perfect future imaginary world, the DB2 has solved this ATROCITY.  (Oh, and also a SE line out.)

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #266 of 1,604
Not enough room to have everything at one end, unless you made it with a double large rear. It will have SE out and some other nice surprises I would imagine. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #267 of 1,604
I can confirm that the DB2 will, indeed, have SE output. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #268 of 1,604

Quote:
I can confirm that the DB2 will, indeed, have SE output. 

But can you confirm the type of Dac used? 
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #269 of 1,604
No, and I didn't ask as I think iBasso would prefer to reveal that themselves when they launch the DB2.  Should be next month. 

Quote:
But can you confirm the type of Dac used? 
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #270 of 1,604
My PB2 arrived yesterday and is currently burning in with some pink noise. I took a look at the rolling kit and compared it with the various posts and recommendations from this thread and its links.

Clearly iBasso have gone to some trouble to offer alternatives. I understand the reason for the buffers and the bypass but I'm puzzled by the fact that their alternative op-amps do not feature on the favourites list?  Why go to all the trouble - they clearly have their ear to the ground.  Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back