iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Mar 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #242 of 1,604
"Make my 650s sing!"  That really leaves me no choice and iBasso is making it easy with the $40 Hirose/Senn cable.  It's tempting to wait a couple weeks for the DB2 and save on shipping.  I wonder which will piss my wife off more - two separate $350 orders - or one $700 order?  Those with experience in both of these situations feel free to answer.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #243 of 1,604

Quote:
"Make my 650s sing!"  That really leaves me no choice and iBasso is making it easy with the $40 Hirose/Senn cable.  It's tempting to wait a couple weeks for the DB2 and save on shipping.  I wonder which will piss my wife off more - two separate $350 orders - or one $700 order?  Those with experience in both of these situations feel free to answer.

2x350=better.  Just say maybe it was a double billing if it catches her attention.  Hopefully to be forgotten by the following month.  There is no good answer to a single $700 charge.  Other than I don't love you anymore?

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #246 of 1,604
I wonder if I get DB-2 when it comes out, and use optical out on my laptop into db2+pb2, but use the single end output on pb2 because all my phones are singled ended. Would I be missing too much? Should i get my headphones reterminated..

And overall would that be a nice semi portable/desktop setup? Im just thinking that for the same price a decent unbalanced amp can be bought, such as Concerto or WA6, would that perhaps be a better solution for me?

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #247 of 1,604
yes of course you should get the reterminated, may as well get one of their single ended dac/amps if you are just going to use single ended. its not the whole point, but may as well be. also neither of those amps have dac, so you would still need a dac to go with wa6 etc. i havent heard this combo yet, but going by spec and my experience with their other gear and the dac chip they use, it should be a nice solution, especially with some nice opamps

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #248 of 1,604
Probably the D6 or D12 would be a better choice, as they are less expensive by far than the DB2/PB2 just for SE portable use.  Both have an excellent DAC that can be used as a stand-alone with other amps if you choose to do so. 

The PB2 was designed for balanced use, and that is where you will find its best performance and power.  The SE headphone output is an added bonus.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #250 of 1,604
Drake, if you go all the way to get the DB2 and PB2, you just owe it to yourself to reterminate your phone so you can get the best value for what you've spent.  That set up should be awesome.  I am using the DB1 now and think it is a very good DAC.  The DB2 should be even better.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #251 of 1,604
Problem is that I don't know any decent company in UK that can do it and myself I've never reterminated before and don't have the tools either.
And honestly I am not sure if I am going DB-2 yet. I have an opportunity to trade my w5000 for woo audio 6, and maybe that would be the best choice for me, what do you think guys?

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #252 of 1,604
If DB2/PB2 set up doesn't fit your situation, then HiFlight's suggestion of D12 is your next best bet.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #253 of 1,604
The DB2 is going to have some nice additions and improvements. There is a particular isolation that will add to the sound quality. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #254 of 1,604
Jam, do you know if the DAC chip is the same as the DB1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back