iBasso P3 Heron
Sep 13, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #46 of 65
Darn, I also wish that the P3 had a dac. Anyway, choosing between the d3 and p3 as my possible next purchase.

I have a maha 8 bay smart charger so I like the concept of using rechargeables, since I usually carry extras, and that I will always have the benefit of having my amp fully charged.

I'm currently using a mini^3 which takes around 8 hours to be fully charged and its a pain when the batteries run out of juice

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #48 of 65
I will be excited only if P3 come with 4th-channel technology just like D3 and the 6 AAA batteries can supply sufficient current and voltage to drive difficult-to-drive headphones such as K701, K601 and HD650. I don't mind even case of P3 is as big as previous end-of-line iBasso D1 model and there is lack of built-in battery and charging features (iBasso's charing circuit has been problematic anyway).

Insufficient driving capability is the reason why I have sold all portable headphone amplifiers and opted for desktop versions with AC supply (such as Zero/Beresford DACs and Octavart headphone amplifier).

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #51 of 65
anyone ordered yet? review/impressions would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #52 of 65
Mine should be here on Monday....Will post initial impressions. This should prove to be a really popular amp, given the opamp rolling possibilities and AAA battery power.

I've got a bunch of opamps just waiting for their chance!

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2!

Well, it was possible to find an opamp combination that makes the D2 sound about identical to the Predator, so it should also be possible to come close to the SQ of the iQube.

Fortunately, I have one of those to make A-B comparisons while testing.

HiFlight

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #56 of 65
I am looking forward to your impressions, best opamp combo and hearing the amp myself.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by junkimchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please forgive me for my ignorance but what are opamps?

Operational Amplifiers.

As for what they do.... well I'm not qualified enough to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #60 of 65
Received following message from iBasso support regarding driving capability of Heron P3 (for AKG K601/K701 and HD650):

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
The P3 can drive them well with the transistore BUF. If you feel it is not good enough, you can order a pair of BUF634, and place them on the BUF sockets.
There is not big difference btw the adapter power and the 6 AAA batteries.

Look like having six AAA batteries and six sockets for op-amp rolling (both buffer and amplifier stages) is the right choice to supply sufficient voltage/current to big cans.

You can see opamp as analog equivalence of integrating discrete logic circuits built with many transistors into single package of integrated circuit (IC chip). Opamp is an alternative of discrete transistors to build amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back