iBasso P3 Heron
Sep 7, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he they are planing to include an opamp kit with a P3 Heron purchase, I doubt it will cost cheaper then the D2. Personally, I can't wait to get my hand on one of these though 6XAAA is a beast.

I heard that it would cost about $179 excluding shipping.

I'm thinking that the reason for it being cheaper might be due to the fact that this is a DAC-less version which makes it significantly cheaper even with the opamp rolling kit.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #17 of 65
$179? I thought the the D2 Boa was $175-185 so this isnt cheaper. Basically exchanging opamp rolling and user replaceable batteries vs DAC and sell charging.

Now with this, I can have my D2 Viper concentrate solely as my PC amp/dac using the better sounding high drain opamps (some combos give less then 10 hours battery time). The P3 Huron with 6xAAA should last quite a long time for portable use regardless of what opamps are in there.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #18 of 65
First 5 AAA's now 6?

When will iBasso learn that 99.99% of the chargers out there have a maximum of four charging bays?

Or just keep creating landfill from batteries.

The whole benefit behind using AAA's is the ease of swapping the batteries and cheapness of AAA rechargeables. And of course the ability to use primary, nonrechargeables as well.

But the benefit of using 6AAA's is the converter circuitry is very simple, can be pretty much minimally regulated, or completely unregulated, which means it's cheaper and easier to make.

-Ed

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$179? I thought the the D2 Boa was $175-185 so this isnt cheaper. Basically exchanging opamp rolling and user replaceable batteries vs DAC and sell charging.

Now with this, I can have my D2 Viper concentrate solely as my PC amp/dac using the better sounding high drain opamps (some combos give less then 10 hours battery time). The P3 Huron with 6xAAA should last quite a long time for portable use regardless of what opamps are in there.

I meant D2 as in the viper, since both of them are opamp rollable, the boa isn't.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see how this sounds as compared to the rolled viper.

Hope that more experienced opamp rollers would get the P3 soon so we could try the different opamp combos
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #23 of 65
Why is the battery swapping such an issue if you just charge them while they're left inside there anyhow? I never understand this complaint when they are chargable while left inside

I'm wondering, though, if the current from those batteries will equal that of a 9v route

or a 2x 9v route.

Any battery knowledgables know how the 6 aaa compares to both 1 and 2 9v as far as current?

And for comparable Lithium ion batteries in other portable amps, too

Wondering what is really the optimal choice from the designers perspective - size / weight relatively backseat considerations

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #24 of 65
this is indeed great news for people like me who (1) were previous Xin owners and never had the guts/experience/tiny hands to experiment with opamp rolling and (2) want a lower-priced DACless amp that can be customized via interchangeable opamps and buffers. Plus instruction sheet?? WOW what more can we electronics-dummies want?? Now just hope the price is right.

Time for a new amp???

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is the battery swapping such an issue if you just charge them while they're left inside there anyhow? I never understand this complaint when they are chargeable while left inside

It's because some of us are impatient and want to change the batteries right after the first set runs out. Especially while on the go. Lol. And it's a hassle to take more than one round to charge a set. This is why 4 is ideal.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unless of course you have an 8-bay charger.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #27 of 65
Wow, that is a beautiful price, I wish the P3 had a Dac.. I'd love to have a DAC/Amp with opamp rolling capabilities for a good price...

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #29 of 65
Probably not, I actually want the Predator for it's portability and acclaimed sound... man I need to quit..

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not, I actually want the Predator for it's portability and acclaimed sound... man I need to quit..

What is this "quiting" you speak of?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back