iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,036 of 1,733
That's weird, you should shoot Paul an email. Watch your sleeve connection, if you have weird issues with half a channel cutting in and out that's the cause....

I'm on day 2 with these and I'm trying to think of a product comparison for them.

Basically, what if a (Hyundai) Genesis g80 was the exact same price as a toyota Camry?

You'd be stupid not to buy it over the Camry, and you'd have a hard time justifying an upgrade over it unless you have way too much money.

That being said, there are still more exotic cars out there, and the Genesis is a great performer, but might be a little boring in comparison to the Ferraris/Lambos that exist, but it's almost always more practical.

At the price point, all my complaints are kind of silly in the scheme of things.

Yes, there are flaws. I find it a little boring, not in the same way that my oppo pm-3 were, but still, they're not as lively or dynamic as some pairs (perhaps burn in could be a factor here, but as it should really only affect the DD, I'm doubtful). The design/build quality also is well behind the likes of campfire.

If I wasn't obsessive compulsive, this could be end game for me and i'd be very happy with them. I'd have a very hard time justifying anything beyond these.
We all hear things differently but boring is not a a description for the sound to my ears. The IT04 is dynamic and really lays the music out there. And build quality, seriously? I have JH Audio customs that cost 3 times as much and aren't as nicely made. I can find little to nothing to fault on the build quality. Campfire is nice but a different material and will please some and not others but the build quality IMO is no better just different materials.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,037 of 1,733
I use the term build quality pretty loosely. The shells are the same material as my kz's and the look is very close... They're all perfectly fine and functional, but the materials are not particularly high end and the aesthetics are pretty basic. In terms of actual build, who knows, they're not transparent.... I assume they're way better than kz.

It clearly wasn't a top priority in the design, whereas some other brands might even sacrifice some functionality for aesthetics, which are all subjective anyway.

Basically, i don't think the it04 will win over the rich kids of Instagram versus the likes of campfire... For me personally, I prefer the it04 as I feel like I'm less likely to get mugged with these in. Which tells you my priorities in aesthetics (not to draw attention to myself).

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,038 of 1,733
That's weird, you should shoot Paul an email. Watch your sleeve connection, if you have weird issues with half a channel cutting in and out that's the cause....

I'm on day 2 with these and I'm trying to think of a product comparison for them.

Basically, what if a (Hyundai) Genesis g80 was the exact same price as a toyota Camry?

You'd be stupid not to buy it over the Camry, and you'd have a hard time justifying an upgrade over it unless you have way too much money.

That being said, there are still more exotic cars out there, and the Genesis is a great performer, but might be a little boring in comparison to the Ferraris/Lambos that exist, but it's almost always more practical.

At the price point, all my complaints are kind of silly in the scheme of things.

Yes, there are flaws. I find it a little boring, not in the same way that my oppo pm-3 were, but still, they're not as lively or dynamic as some pairs (perhaps burn in could be a factor here, but as it should really only affect the DD, I'm doubtful). The design/build quality also is well behind the likes of campfire.

If I wasn't obsessive compulsive, this could be end game for me and i'd be very happy with them. I'd have a very hard time justifying anything beyond these.
Having asked iBasso some time back about the materials. They aren't a molded plastic. They are made the same way as custom IEMs. The materials are different and the process is much longer and involved.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,040 of 1,733
I use the term build quality pretty loosely. The shells are the same material as my kz's and the look is very close... They're all perfectly fine and functional, but the materials are not particularly high end and the aesthetics are pretty basic. In terms of actual build, who knows, they're not transparent.... I assume they're way better than kz.

It clearly wasn't a top priority in the design, whereas some other brands might even sacrifice some functionality for aesthetics, which are all subjective anyway.

Basically, i don't think the it04 will win over the rich kids of Instagram versus the likes of campfire... For me personally, I prefer the it04 as I feel like I'm less likely to get mugged with these in. Which tells you my priorities in aesthetics (not to draw attention to myself).
Interesting. I'm in the opposite camp as I prefer the aesthetics of the iBasso line over the Campfire line. To me, the CA stuff is just a bit to 'techy'. But really, since I can't quite see them when they're in my ears, I don't let it bother me much.

I wonder if your perception of the boring/pedestrian aesthetics might be bleeding over into your perception of the sound? I know...silly, right? But expectation bias is a powerful thing (else why would placebos apparently cure serious/life-threatening diseases in a small but meaningful number of cases).

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,041 of 1,733
Question to eventual owners of both: is the IT04 a good match in general with the Mojo?

I know One user already wrote about It, but I am in the delicate moment where I Can still change route...so far I am Happy with the result from Mojo and IT01.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,042 of 1,733
Question to eventual owners of both: is the IT04 a good match in general with the Mojo?

I know One user already wrote about It, but I am in the delicate moment where I Can still change route...so far I am Happy with the result from Mojo and IT01.

Obviously you will need a balanced to single-ended converter if using the IT04 supplied cable, but yes, Mojo->IT04 to my ears has a great synergy.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,043 of 1,733
Obviously you will need a balanced to single-ended converter if using the IT04 supplied cable, but yes, Mojo->IT04 to my ears has a great synergy.

Cheers. As far as the adapter goes, isn't it already in the IT04 package? :)

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,044 of 1,733
Any comparison vs CA Polaris? Wondering how both are performing vs each other

Sure - I spent an hour comparing them at my retailer - trying to make up my mind - and decided to buy the IT04. Polaris is more aggressive - more treble detail and extension - but to my taste it came across as somewhat sharp and brittle compared back to back with the IT04. Polaris has more air but at the price of being more fatiguing to my ear. For me, fit on the 04 is much more comfortable - set and forget - where I found I need to keep adjusting the polaris frequently. I like the bass on the 04 better than the polaris. Ultimately it's a taste question - if you like campfire tuning then you will like the polaris. I wanted a headphone that I can listen to for hours without physical discomfort or sonic fatigue and the 04 ticked all the boxes. I have spent quite a few hours with it now and it really is a fantastic iem. The real virtue of the 04, IMO, is hard to describe in the conventional vocabulary for IEM's - it's very technically competent, but for every technical criterion - extension, detail, layering, imaging, etc. you can name another iem that is slightly better for that criterion. However I cant' think of another IEM (certainly not under $1200) that is more enjoyable overall. There is a delicious kind of lushness to the sound of the 04 that you can just get lost in for hours.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,046 of 1,733
Interesting. I'm in the opposite camp as I prefer the aesthetics of the iBasso line over the Campfire line. To me, the CA stuff is just a bit to 'techy'. But really, since I can't quite see them when they're in my ears, I don't let it bother me much.

I wonder if your perception of the boring/pedestrian aesthetics might be bleeding over into your perception of the sound? I know...silly, right? But expectation bias is a powerful thing (else why would placebos apparently cure serious/life-threatening diseases in a small but meaningful number of cases).
Like I said, I actually prefer the ibasso as well, because I'm not one to like flashy items like my Andromeda. I don't fancy these items as fashion accessories or status symbols. Frankly, they make me nervous to wear in public. And I always question sharp angles on IEMs....

I'm saying the neutral tuning might not be exciting for some versus something some tunings that really smack you in the face. It's not boring to me, just reference. but that's boring to some people.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,047 of 1,733
Having asked iBasso some time back about the materials. They aren't a molded plastic. They are made the same way as custom IEMs. The materials are different and the process is much longer and involved.
Yep, I'm not disputing that. I remember Paul's posts on the matter, I'm saying the perception is there. If you sat the Andromeda next to the it04 and kz zsr, it seems much more similar to the zsr than the Andromeda. The Andromeda LOOKS expensive and high end, if that's important to you, you're probably not buying these or something like the pp8 either...

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,048 of 1,733
Like I said, I actually prefer the ibasso as well, because I'm not one to like flashy items like my Andromeda. I don't fancy these items as fashion accessories or status symbols. Frankly, they make me nervous to wear in public. And I always question sharp angles on IEMs....

I'm saying the neutral tuning might not be exciting for some versus something some tunings that really smack you in the face. It's not boring to me, just reference. but that's boring to some people.
Ah, I see. You were talking about tuning. When your earlier post said:
...they're not as lively or dynamic as ...
I don't really think of a 'tuning' issue. I certainly agree that the 04 has a more neutral/reference tuning (say compared to the 03, Magaosi K3...). But I don't think that neutral or reference tuning vs 'fun' or V-shaped tuning equates to a lack of dynamics/liveliness.

As far as aesthetics, I agree that the CA stuff is flashier. But I don't mind that. It's the modern, angular, metallic look which turns me off a bit. I guess I'm just an Art Deco kinda guy with old man tastes.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,049 of 1,733
Sure - I spent an hour comparing them at my retailer - trying to make up my mind - and decided to buy the IT04. Polaris is more aggressive - more treble detail and extension - but to my taste it came across as somewhat sharp and brittle compared back to back with the IT04. Polaris has more air but at the price of being more fatiguing to my ear. For me, fit on the 04 is much more comfortable - set and forget - where I found I need to keep adjusting the polaris frequently. I like the bass on the 04 better than the polaris. Ultimately it's a taste question - if you like campfire tuning then you will like the polaris. I wanted a headphone that I can listen to for hours without physical discomfort or sonic fatigue and the 04 ticked all the boxes. I have spent quite a few hours with it now and it really is a fantastic iem. The real virtue of the 04, IMO, is hard to describe in the conventional vocabulary for IEM's - it's very technically competent, but for every technical criterion - extension, detail, layering, imaging, etc. you can name another iem that is slightly better for that criterion. However I cant' think of another IEM (certainly not under $1200) that is more enjoyable overall. There is a delicious kind of lushness to the sound of the 04 that you can just get lost in for hours.
Wow, thanks a mil, the comparison I was waiting for, having Andromedas in my collection.
Given my past experience, this kind of a sound signature might become boring with time, as Andros are the only iems that I don't want to sell after a year or more (still some may consider those quite controversial sound wise). Bottomline, the sound should be engaging, otherwise all the technicalities will not make you put the iems in your ears after the hype period is over:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back