iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Apr 27, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,951 of 3,079
I have the IT03, I plan on getting the IT04, but this thread really makes me think I also need the IT01...

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,953 of 3,079
I have the IT03, I plan on getting the IT04, but this thread really makes me think I also need the IT01...
The cable type you need to look for is a 3.5mm with MMCX connectors, or if you have a music player with balanced output you can find out what size is that balanced output (usually these are 2.5mm or 4.4mm) and get one of these cables also with mmcx connectors.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,954 of 3,079
Thanks, I'd appreciate that a lot.
late, but better than never. I dont understand how Kef thought it was a good idea to design very thick nozzles, perhaps they only tried them on just one very tall person before going to production :)

ibasso_kef.jpg

Attachments

• ibasso kef.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,955 of 3,079

Ordered. Amazon same day delivery. :) Too many great reviews of these to not have them in my collection.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,957 of 3,079
post impressions. (later today thanks to Amazon :D )

Ha! I just now got the shipping notification. But I do plan on sharing my initial impression. That first couple of minutes where things sound so different because your brain is so used to something else? :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,958 of 3,079
IMG_20180427_185123-02.jpeg

Delivered. Definitely going to give them a spin a bit later.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,960 of 3,079
Give us your comparison to any others you have (I own them BTW).

I'd be happy to, although I'm not sure how many others I have that are relevant to most people. Westone W40, Dunu 2000J, Mee Pinnacle P1, Fidue A83, Aurisonic Rockets and probably some others that also haven't seen the light of day in a while.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #1,961 of 3,079
Initial impressions. I've only spent about an hour listening to various tracks so these are very early thoughts. Apologies for the wall of text...

First off, how about that cable? I'd heard that it was worth the price of admission alone. Pretty much. It's very light, loosely braided, well terminated and feels almost non-existent when wearing it.

I didn't mess with any of the included tips and instead put on medium Spinfits as that's what I have on the IT03's.

The IT01's are very comfortable for me. My standard for comfort has always been Westone. Westones just completely disappear for me. These aren't quite that comfortable but I do think they are a bit more comfortable than the IT03's, for me.

Now for the important stuff. I'd obviously read a lot of good things about the IT01's and there's been no shortage of hype. What would they sound like fresh out of the box though? How would they measure up? I sat down with a pretty new DX150 (~50 hours on it) and went through some of my favorite test tracks to find out.

All terribly subjective of course. I've been spending most of my time with the DX200/AMP4S/CB12/IT03 and some with DX150/AMP6/CB12s/IT03. So that's my recent point of reference, which I do think matters.

The first thing I noticed was the low end. It's a little more prevalent than I'm used to. I'm still not sure if it stood out so much because there was that much more of it, because it was just more upfront, or if it wasn't really staying in its lane. At times I felt like it wasn't as tightly controlled and might have been overshadowing a bit. It's certainly not over the top or anything. Just a tad more than I'm used to. Based on the experience of others, I expect that will tighten up nicely.

The high end sparkled and was well represented. It might have felt a tad recessed at times. This wasn't consistent on all tracks though. There were just certain sections where I noticed cymbal crashes, for example, didn't have quite the same impact or decay. The longer I listened though, the less of an issue this became. Listening now, I don't notice that at all. So perhaps I'm already adjusting.

I really like the mids here. If they suffer from anything at all it might be some of the bass bleeding in a bit. And that was only noticeable on faster, more intense passages where the guitars and bass were closely aligned.

The soundstage is pretty impressive, as is the separation. It's not at the same level as the IT03's, at least for me, but it's as good or better than anything else in my arsenal that cost me more than twice as much. The IT03's have a bit more resolution in picking up some of the subtleties and maybe a tad more smoothness.

In short, I think the IT01's would be a fantastic deal at twice the price and I'm really very glad I got them. I'm comparing them to my current daily driver, the IT03's, and I think they measure up just fine.

Now I'm looking forward to trying these out with the CB12 and CB12s cables, as well as the DX200/AMP4S. :)

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #1,962 of 3,079
Just grabbed a pair of IT01. Hoping they will live up to expectations. Hopefully they will be as good as my Campfire Comets or GR07BE.

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,963 of 3,079
The B400 does have better mids and highs and I'd say its higher quality. The bass is much different being its from a BA. I can't really comment on the justify the price portion simply because the sound of the two is different enough in tuning that its not a direct comparison. I'll liken it to asking if buying a particular car would be justified over a particular motorcycle. They both at least are tuned for a more linear response versus the fun V, U or W tunings. But I think only you could decide if it'd make sense to buy B400 if you already own the IT01.

Having had the it01 for a few days now i would also agree that the B400 and it01 are two very different earphones sound wise. I find the b400 technically better i.e. details and micro details especially are easier to spot, separation is better of both instruments and vocals, layering is better too. I love the sound but it's not the most lively, i choose it to analyse my music and hear new things but in a fatigue free manner. The it01 tho is built for fun. Full stop. I'm really enjoying it. You really do need a good seal though and the right tip (for you). Although i find it easier to fit than the B400 which I'm constantly pressing back in to my ear.

With the right seal... I can understand why so many people are highlighting the bass response of the it01. It really is excellent. I thought at first it was a bit too thick and uncontrolled, but as soon as i got the right seal it became very tight and a joy to listen too. It's deep and quick and rarely intrudes on the lower mids.

Mids are a lot smoother than i thought they'd be going by many reviews saying they are 'thin' and in some cases bright. There is good body to the them. Vocals are central and quite forward in the head space and are most often the focal point of tracks, def the first thing I notice. Male vocals are silky smooth with good articulation and weight, female vocals can be slightly drier though depending of the singer's upper register. Upper mids are far from bright and stay relatively smooth still. Detail is good. They're not the type that stand out and are not at all analytical in nature. Mids are slightly recessed and sit just behind the vocals. They are clear though and instruments sound organic and natural. Pianos have good stereo width as if you're playing them yourself.

Treble is nicely extended but nowhere near bright. This surprised me a lot actually as I'm pretty treble sensitive and going by reviews i expected them to be brighter and sharper, a sound I rarely enjoy. Lower treble is slightly highlighted and give instruments nice bite and SUPERB attack. Very lively. Guitars have real crunch and just the right weight. Cymbals sound very accurate.

Soundstage is very good. When the song calls for it width is excellent. The way it places the mids is quite fun too, they sit just behind the vocals and normally sit slightly near the back corners of your head space. Quite unique, and 3d like. Like i said they are not analytical, but if you wanted to listen for finer details you will hear them, sometimes they pick out certain nuances and sounds that even the B400 miss (tho you will hear more nuances on the b400). Some songs like Son Of A Preacher Man or Bohemian rhapsody are quite astounding the way they are spread out. there is nice separation going on but i think some reviews over hype this area... with some more air in between upper mids and treble they could be even better tho. Resolution is good tho. Fitting for it's price range.

Genres... cliched as it sounds, they are a jack of all trades. Rock and modern music is upbeat and energetic and bags of fun. EDM, Hip Hop, RnB, Dance etc... the bass response makes them ideal for these types of music. Jazz is rarely something i listen to, but I could easily enjoy it with the it01 as there is good air to the sound. Orchestra and classical... the timbre and tone of instruments makes them good for these genres and the soundstage makes picking out sections of the orchestra relatively easy, but it can sound a tad congested at the same time. For movies they are excellent, especially action packed or horror/suspense.

Conclusion . For me the it01 is all about fun and enjoying music. It's slightly V shaped which makes it lively with good attack, enough detail and great bass. Instruments and vocals are organic, non fatiguing and the type of sound that you'll get lost in. Treble for me is just right and not bright or strident. At £90 it is great value. I've read some reviews comparing it with £300-400 sets... hmmm, nah. They easily hold their own in the company of the Brainwavz B400, MEE Pinnacle P1, Dunu DN 2000, LZ A4, RHA T20. As I've saw some people ask...They are much better than the 1More Triple Driver and Yamaha EPH100

Comparison. The it01 reminds me a lot of the Fiio EX1... now i don't mean the signatures are identical, but they both do something unique with their soundstage that's just a lot of fun and both just leave you to enjoy your music without over thinking things. the it01 is the better earphone though. In fact if you crossed the Fiio EX1 with the LZ A4 you would get the it01 :)

Since there are quite a few asking about the B400 v it01, my personal preference is the it01 solely cos it's livelier and more fun. If the B400 just had more extension up top and more weight to the sound I'd maybe pick IT instead if i could only have just one.

I'll be getting the TFZ King Pro next, so looking forward to comparing them both. (I've just bought the Thinksound ON2 though, so it won't be for a while lol).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,964 of 3,079
Having had the it01 for a few days now i would also agree that the B400 and it01 are two very different earphones sound wise. I find the b400 technically better i.e. details and micro details especially are easier to spot, separation is better of both instruments and vocals, layering is better too. I love the sound but it's not the most lively, i choose it to analyse my music and hear new things but in a fatigue free manner. The it01 tho is built for fun. Full stop. I'm really enjoying it. You really do need a good seal though and the right tip (for you). Although i find it easier to fit than the B400 which I'm constantly pressing back in to my ear.

With the right seal... I can understand why so many people are highlighting the bass response of the it01. It really is excellent. I thought at first it was a bit too thick and uncontrolled, but as soon as i got the right seal it became very tight and a joy to listen too. It's deep and quick and rarely intrudes on the lower mids.

Mids are a lot smoother than i thought they'd be going by many reviews saying they are 'thin' and in some cases bright. There is good body to the them. Vocals are central and quite forward in the head space and are most often the focal point of tracks, def the first thing I notice. Male vocals are silky smooth with good articulation and weight, female vocals can be slightly drier though depending of the singer's upper register. Upper mids are far from bright and stay relatively smooth still. Detail is good. They're not the type that stand out and are not at all analytical in nature. Mids are slightly recessed and sit just behind the vocals. They are clear though and instruments sound organic and natural. Pianos have good stereo width as if you're playing them yourself.

Treble is nicely extended but nowhere near bright. This surprised me a lot actually as I'm pretty treble sensitive and going by reviews i expected them to be brighter and sharper, a sound I rarely enjoy. Lower treble is slightly highlighted and give instruments nice bite and SUPERB attack. Very lively. Guitars have real crunch and just the right weight. Cymbals sound very accurate.

Soundstage is very good. When the song calls for it width is excellent. The way it places the mids is quite fun too, they sit just behind the vocals and normally sit slightly near the back corners of your head space. Quite unique, and 3d like. Like i said they are not analytical, but if you wanted to listen for finer details you will hear them, sometimes they pick out certain nuances and sounds that even the B400 miss (tho you will hear more nuances on the b400). Some songs like Son Of A Preacher Man or Bohemian rhapsody are quite astounding the way they are spread out. there is nice separation going on but i think some reviews over hype this area. Resolution is good tho. Fitting for it's price range.

Genres... cliched as it sounds, they are a jack of all trades. Rock and modern music is upbeat and energetic and bags of fun. EDM, Hip Hop, RnB, Dance etc... the bass response makes them ideal for these types of music. Jazz is rarely something i listen to, but I could easily enjoy it with the it01 as there is good air to the sound. Orchestra and classical... the timbre and tone of instruments makes them good for these genres and the soundstage makes picking out sections of the orchestra relatively easy, but it can sound a tad congested at the same time. For movies they are excellent, especially action packed or horror/suspense.

Conclusion . For me the it01 is all about fun and enjoying music. It's slightly V shaped which makes it lively with good attack, enough detail and great bass. Instruments and vocals are organic, non fatiguing and the type of sound that you'll get lost in. Treble for me is just right and not bright or strident. At £90 it is great value. I've read some reviews comparing it with £300-400 sets... hmmm, nah. They easily hold their own in the company of the Brainwavz B400, MEE Pinnacle P1, Dunu DN 2000, LZ A4, RHA T20. As I've saw some people ask...They are much better than the 1More Triple Driver and Yamaha EPH100

Comparison. The it01 reminds me a lot of the Fiio EX1... now i don't mean the signatures are identical, but they both do something unique with their soundstage that's just a lot of fun and both just leave you to enjoy your music without over thinking things. the it01 is the better earphone though. In fact if you crossed the Fiio EX1 with the LZ A4 you would get the it01 :)

Since there are quite a few asking about the B400 v it01, my personal preference is the it01 solely cos it's livelier and more fun. If the B400 just had more extension up top and more weight to the sound I'd maybe pick IT instead if i could only have just one.
Nice review/comparison.

If you can, try the IT01 with a good set of balanced cables. I use them balanced now most all the time though I enjoy them with the stock cable as well.

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,965 of 3,079
Nice review/comparison.

If you can, try the IT01 with a good set of balanced cables. I use them balanced now most all the time though I enjoy them with the stock cable as well.

Funny you say that, I'm just about to try it with the balanced cable going from my Sabaj DA3 DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back