iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #1,711 of 3,079
Interesting. I was debating which IEMs to use when I try to get a feeling of what the Burson V5i opamp adds over the stock one(s). I had planned to primarily use my Xduoo XD-05 but I'm thinking that perhaps it would be worthwhile to try it in the little bear tube amp b4 also with the IT01.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,713 of 3,079
1st thing to do - throw them into "owen" with "medium cooking temp" for at least 150h :wink:

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,715 of 3,079
1st thing to do - throw them into "owen" with "medium cooking temp" for at least 150h :wink:
Who is Owen? We have never used an Owen but I am open to suggestions.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 20, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,716 of 3,079
I'm excited to try these, but my biggest concern is isolation. I live in the city, and have really sensitive hearing, so I prefer a really flat response and high isolation. Can I get good isolation with the foam tips on the IT01, or should I look elsewhere?

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,717 of 3,079
Isolation is good, but there are definitely more isolating IEMs out there. I don't have a problem with using them for public transit commuting purposes, but I get more isolation with my Shure SE425 or KZ ZSR. And I'm guessing those don't even isolate as well as something like the Etymotics with the deeper fit.

Also, for what it's worth, the IT01 is not flat. It's L-shaped or v-shaped.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #1,719 of 3,079
Seems to me that there is a far distance between L Shaped (well this means bass heavy in this case) and V shaped.

The it01 is not bass shy in my view; but that describes most of the IEMs that I like. Not fun per se; not bass head per se; just "full" bass.
I like to call them a dynamic thick spacious highly detailed and airy listening experience with above average instrument separation and imaging. They sound awesome with most sources and genres whether I'm in a noisy work environment or just listening while chilling out but they really shine if you give them a listen before bed with the lights off.
With properly mastered recordings not necessarily high res, especially live music you can get a sense of space imaging and presence that can make you go What did I just hear and a feeling of being in the room with the musicians that puts a big grin on my face.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #1,721 of 3,079
Hi Augustonite,

Isolation with stock tips is good but you may have to source other tips to find what is right & comfortable for you & only you.

It all depends on personal preference.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,723 of 3,079
I'm excited to try these, but my biggest concern is isolation. I live in the city, and have really sensitive hearing, so I prefer a really flat response and high isolation. Can I get good isolation with the foam tips on the IT01, or should I look elsewhere?
I see many people talking about getting better isolation using foamies, whether stock or not, but I almost never find that the case for me. Often I don't get a good enough seal that the sound lacks bass and sub bass. Obviously if I'm not getting enough of a seal to get decent bass I wouldn't get decent noise isolation either.

They aren't completely sealed, that is they have a bass vent. So they won't have the best isolation available. However whichever ear tips you find to give you good sound will give you rather reasonable sound isolation too. Having said that let me quickly mention 2 things. If you are walking or riding a bicycle versus riding a subway, cab, bus or whatever it really isn't as safe to be wearing earphones that seal well and so reduce your awareness of your surroundings. You might get better noise isolation from higher pitched noise by choosing foamies over silicone even if, like for me, they don't provide the best seal simply because of the difference in material.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,724 of 3,079
Hi Bsoplinger,

Just as general awareness to those who post on this thread, as said in other posts on the topic of Tip Isolation, it all comes down to personal preference on whether one prefers foam or silicone, nothing wrong with either.
As a rule, my personal is comfort & isolation are paramount in equal measure, I don't really give about how one material over the other changes sound for as long it sounds good to me, that's all that matters as the third choice.
Personally can take both but silicone is tricker for me to find a good fit across all which is why I prefer foam but that's me.

Also aware the IT 01 has a bass vent but since there is severely minimal outside noise for me coming in, as said, I couldn't care less & this is at low volume by the way, very low volume.
So best isolation is relative, isn't it?
As long as person can enjoy whatever they're listening to without anything short of severe &/or life threatening interruption then personally all is good.
I like to point out, no matter how good or not isolation on in ears (in this case) or headphones are, if a person isn't aware of their surroundings, especially when outside as you described at any given time, then that is a serious problem, I wouldn't be blaming good isolation on that, more common sense than anything else.

By the way, just curious, why do you say silicone has better isolation for higher pitched noise or just seal in general?
With silicone & high frequencies, it all depends on the rubber's build consistency, density & thickness as not all do the same, in fact, most do jack all but I digress.
Potentially arguing about good isolation is not this thread's top & I apologise to others for this.
As a general rule, the reason why it seems to most who advocate silcone for 'blocking' or more accurately 'reducing' those high frequencies as it is generally trickier to form a good seal with foam for the same effect, all it takes is practice.
Also, most foam used as tips generally are not ear protector level as then it would be costly & not necessarily comfortable as well as sound has a way of having no vibrancy or life in certain isolation situations.
It's also why foam is generally used for ear protectors over silicone in the first place as it isn't difficult to get a good seal.
Have you actually studied, looked into or built anything where you have needed to isolate these things as in acoustic treatment to be able to enjoy full isolation?
I can tell you most people & I'm not necessarily saying professionals, will generally use foam or wool as basic isolation capable material rather than silicone as a first preference for the cost & what it can do with little effort over silicone.

Anyway, as a final note, I say overall to everyone regarding getting good isolation with in ears, use whatever works best for you & as long as it makes you happy, then you have succeeded in enjoying whatever you're listening to.

Hope everyone has a good day !

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,725 of 3,079
Who is Owen? We have never used an Owen but I am open to suggestions.
LOL, I made a typo - oven was what I meant :wink:
You can get a good seal even with silicone tips. I use them in bus/train and while walking - most quiet IEM I have and superior even over KZ ZS3 (which have perfect fit for my ears).
But it depends on Your ear inner&outer cave/canal size. For what it`s worth, I found after tip-rolling Auvio large bore S size to be best sound & fit for my small ears and ear-canals with deep/snug fit, without any discomfort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back