iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #873 of 3,079
Guess it's one of those things that can only be understood when you hear the higher end product.

I'd say that's fair. It's really hard to imagine better, until you hear it. I've been there many times before. :D

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #875 of 3,079
Just checking here but aren't the DITA products 5 or more times more expensive than the $100 IT01?

He asked about TOTL dynamics, and how they compare to IT01.

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #878 of 3,079
Do you already have IT01 and want to upgrade? Or do you consider buying it and want to know how it compares to flagships that cost 10x-20x more?

Either way, IT01 is great to start with and to spend some time before upgrading. Take baby steps, maybe consider IT03 (or the upcoming IT04) as an upgrade. Going to $1k-$2k flagship not gonna give you 10x-20x improvement in sound.
Have the IT01, which is the best Iem I own.

I was curious on how much can be done with the single dynamic types of Iems vs other configuations.

For the future I'm looking forward to stuff like ME-1 and a multi BA, to see how different technologies really sound.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #879 of 3,079
What does this have to do with performance?

Price usually dictates class and other characteristics for products that stay in the market. For example, IT01 is really amazing for 100$, but I'm not sure if comparing it to a 1000$ IEM helps much understand how good it is. If comparing it to 300$ IEMs, for example, it can sometime perform just as well, if not better, but when it comes to something 10 times the price, I surely expect it to perform better.

Have the IT01, which is the best Iem I own.

I was curious on how much can be done with the single dynamic types of Iems vs other configuations.

For the future I'm looking forward to stuff like ME-1 and a multi BA, to see how different technologies really sound.

Technology doesn't have a sound, implementation does.

Quick example:

Single Dynamic Driver IEMs that are quite excellent:

- ie800

- RE2000

- RE800

- Xelento

- IT01

Those are exceptionally good and they will amaze people, even though they are single dynamic driver setups. Brilliant IEMs all of them

Good multi BA or Hybrid setups:

- UM Martians

- F9Pro

- DK-3001

Those are also great. they are all hybrid setups

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #881 of 3,079
Price usually dictates class and other characteristics for products that stay in the market. For example, IT01 is really amazing for 100$, but I'm not sure if comparing it to a 1000$ IEM helps much understand how good it is. If comparing it to 300$ IEMs, for example, it can sometime perform just as well, if not better, but when it comes to something 10 times the price, I surely expect it to perform better.

Technology doesn't have a sound, implementation does.
But isn't there a discernible difference between the various setups?

I've read many times a single dynamic has generally a smooth and cohesive sound, just because of it's design. Are those just buzzwords, or there's truth to it?

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #882 of 3,079

I've read many times a single dynamic has generally a smooth and cohesive sound, just because of it's design. Are those just buzzwords, or there's truth to it?

Well, DD has some advantages, but the tuning doesn't have much to do with it.

Beyerdynamic Xelento is very smooth, musical, with a lot of delicious bass - Singe DD

Sennheiser ie800 has a lot of high quality bass, a recessed midrange, and a very enthusiastic top end with a lot of sparkle, at 10 - 14 kHz - Still Single DD

RE2000 has a strong bottom end, and a stronger top end - Single DD

UM Martians have 2 DD drivers, and 2 BA drivers, yet their bass is one of the tightest I heard (this means extremely precise, but low in amount), their top end is quite sparkly, their midrange is precise

Oriveti New Primacy - Enthusiastic bass, not a recessed midrange, and a smoother top end - 1 Dynamic + 2 BA\

iBasso IT01 - A delicious bass, an enthusiastic midbass, a clear yet very slightly pushed back midrange, and a nice sparkle up top, without being too much - Single DD

Every company tunes their IEMs for a different sound, and a IEM being a single DD doesn't mean that it is at a disadvantage or at an advantage directly, but how that is implemented and developed matters most.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #884 of 3,079

Just to throw my 2 cents into the ring..
All good points made by @Dobrescu George for sure.

I would say that yes, there *are* some generic differences between DD (Dynamic Drivers) and BA (Balance Armatures) in terms of what they are generally capable of delivering.
However, as mentioned above, the *implementation* plays a huge role in this.

It requires some skill and effective use of technology to tune a bunch of BA's to get a cohesive sound, but that's exactly what is being done all over the market.
There are also highly rated IEM's which just use two, or even just one BA.
Integrating BA seamlessly with a DD in a hybrid set up requires another set of R&D and skills in execution.

What I would say is that *generally*, the DD (or hybrids involving DD) IEM's that I've owned have tended to do something that even my TOTL BA-only IEM's haven't been able to achieve.
This is to bring out a percussive, tactile quality to the playing of the instruments in the music; you can hear and 'feel' the plucking of strings, taps of percussion, etc.
Again,there may be well-implemented BA solutions that are able to do this too, but I suspect this particular trait is mostly unique to DD setups, simply due to the mechanics of how they work?

But this is something thus far I've noticed about DD/Hybrid setups that I really like, along with (generally) a way of handling bass (in certain implementations!) that I personally love.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back