iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #856 of 3,079
Nice review, Pinky!

I ordered both IT01 and CH9T at the end of December. Between the two, I decided to keep IT01 and return CH9T. I liked CH9T, but I just did not need two IEMs in the same price range. To my ears, IT01 has better bass. CH9T is very slightly brighter. It comes down to personal preference. For me, it ended up being IT01.
I agree with you. IT01 showcases a more matured presentation. My take on the iBasso IT01: https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/ibasso-it01/ Enjoy! :dt880smile:

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #857 of 3,079
@Paul - iBasso
Have you tried the CB12 cable with the IT01?
I love the IT01 as it is and with it's existing excellent cable, but I'm using my other IEM's with balanced (2.5mm) cables, usually via AMP3.

So for convenience, I'm thinking of switching the IT01 over to the CB12.
Just wondering if you have any thoughts about how it might change the sound signature; pro's and cons?
I know you guys test everything extremely thoroughly in your R&D, so I thought you might have tried this combination already :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #858 of 3,079
Hi guys.

I am there because I could not decide which earphone to buy.

I do not like the sounds of Magaosi K3 HD and ZS6.

I am in love with ZS5 v1;
because
  • the instrument sounds are real and crisp.
  • the stage is wide and starts closely,
  • detail presentation is high,
  • bass sounds are enough.
  • Instrument separation is successful,
  • vocals are closely,
  • convertible cable
  • isolation is successful.
  • compatible with the my ZTE AXON 7
David Chesky - Transcendental Tripping / listening with the ZS5 is a complete feast for the ear.

Do you think I will love sound of IT01 ???

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #859 of 3,079
How did you get a good fit?
Ultimately I ended up using KZ whirlwind ear tips. I got close with the large wide bore tips included but I found them uncomfortable after a few minutes. They did provide a decent seal though which is why I tried the KZ whirlwind. I don't know if the little bit of silicone in those little finger like spiral bits support the shell or if its just a good combination of material but they work well for me on a number of IEMs. Dirt cheap although get more than the pair of sizes since they do tend to tear easily. These:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...tips-For-KZ-ED10-ED8m/119089_32712990205.html

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #860 of 3,079
Hi guys.

I am there because I could not decide which earphone to buy.

I do not like the sounds of Magaosi K3 HD and ZS6.

I am in love with ZS5 v1;

Do you think I will love sound of IT01 ???
I own ZS5 v2 and ZS6 and have been following the ZS5 discussion on the KZ thread since it started so I believe that I understand how the ZS5 v1 compares to the v2 and ZS6. I just managed to get a decent fit with these so I haven't been able to give them a really good listen yet as I'm fighting a cold currently and am congested which changes how things sound.

That said I believe you may like the iBasso. The highs are extended and smoother compared to the spike that the ZS5 has. Bass and sub bass goes about as low but is better controlled than the ZS5. It has been a few weeks since I listened to the KZ but I don't remember anything remarkable about the midrange of them. Which makes me think that its neither extremely recessed nor forward. The iBasso is smoother with better differentiation which leads to a nicer soundstage. Pretty much everything in your list of things you like in the ZS5 the iBasso does better with the exception of not having the excess bass of the ZS5 / ZS6. I assume that the ZTE AXON 7 is a phone. If I'm correct then the IT01 should do fine with it. They aren't power hungry and sound fine with simple devices (I've used them with a $20 Benjie K9) but like any good IEM they do sound better when connected to an amp with more power than that of a typical phone.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #861 of 3,079
Over in the KZ (Knowledge Zenith) thread there was a similar discussion as a follow up to a few questions I had asked about fit and ear tips. I ended up buying a few 3M 1100 Foam Ear Plugs which is what is used to make Symbol tips you can buy on eBay. Those worked OK but it is a PITA to create a nice smooth hole in the center of the plug.

The discussion then moved on to hybrid tips, those that had a silicone outside but foam inside. Ultimately that ended up with me remembering seeing really inexpensive foamies that didn't have a tube in the center for sale from a few sellers on Aliexpress.com. Long story short, bought a few pairs. And they work nicely for some IEMs. Usually I need to cut a bit off the bottom of the cheap foamie because of the length of the nozzle.

You create the roll your own hybrid thus: Turn the silicone tip you've chosen for best fit inside out. So you have nozzle and floppy hemisphere of silicone. I fold the silicone nozzle in half along its length. Then I grasp the folded nozzle with a pair of tweezers. This allows you to stuff the silicone tip nozzle inside the nozzle hole of the cheap foam tip. You stuff from the ear end of the tip versus the end that would be touching the IEM. Then, again from the ear end, I use the tweezers, grasped closed, to open up the folded silicone nozzle inside the foam nozzle hole and seat it as deeply as possible onto the foam tip. Last step is to flip the inside out bit of the silicone tip back to its correct positioning. You now have silicone at the nozzle and outside of the tip with a sandwich of foam in between. Sounds much more complicated than it is to actually do it.

Having explained all that, unfortunately this didn't work out for me with these IEMs. They're too large physically is my guess. I get a great seal and what initially feels like a good fit but within 45 minutes to an hour they get uncomfortable. The KZ whirlwind is what I eventually found to work for me.
Thank you for your help. I do remember these foam tips without a tube and will order it. Did you try to make hybrid tips from Ibasso's set? As for me - I don't see any better way to improve fit an isolation than to stuff foam into stock tips with wide bore. But actually it is one size more than I usually use. L instead of M, because it's not necessary to put IT01 into the channel IMO.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #862 of 3,079
Thank you for your help. I do remember these foam tips without a tube and will order it. Did you try to make hybrid tips from Ibasso's set? As for me - I don't see any better way to improve fit an isolation than to stuff foam into stock tips with wide bore. But actually it is one size more than I usually use. L instead of M, because it's not necessary to put IT01 into the channel IMO.
I am indeed using the large size KZ whirlwind and I typically use medium with most other IEMs with the occasional large. I did make my hybrid tips using the iBasso large wide bore tip. Gave a great seal but became uncomfortable for me within about a half hour. But that was positive enough that I decided to try the KZ because I really wanted to get a good fit with these because of all the good things said about them and I wanted to hear that. There's also the fact that I'd spent $100 and didn't want to feel like I wasted my money. :astonished:

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #863 of 3,079
Jan 22, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #864 of 3,079
Could anyone with a high-end dynamic Iem tell me what I'm missing with the IT01?
Because I'm happy to check out more hybrids and multiple BAs, but I don't know what else I should look for in a single dynamic.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #865 of 3,079
I wish Paul would give an update on the IT04.. even if it's delayed, just let us know!
We are getting all the packaging finished up.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #866 of 3,079
Could anyone with a high-end dynamic Iem tell me what I'm missing with the IT01?
Because I'm happy to check out more hybrids and multiple BAs, but I don't know what else I should look for in a single dynamic.

I have DITA the Dream in for a quick review. It's a much deeper, richer experience, while never giving ground on clarity and detail. The soundstage is larger, though that's not guaranteed with higher-end stuff. But the level of refinement and naturalness is significant.

On its own, I don't feel IT01 lacks in any of those areas. Compared to Dita, though, there's no mistaking the disparity.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #867 of 3,079
I have DITA the Dream in for a quick review. It's a much deeper, richer experience, while never giving ground on clarity and detail. The soundstage is larger, though that's not guaranteed with higher-end stuff. But the level of refinement and naturalness is significant.

On its own, I don't feel IT01 lacks in any of those areas. Compared to Dita, though, there's no mistaking the disparity.

Guess it's one of those things that can only be understood when you hear the higher end product.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #868 of 3,079
We are getting all the packaging finished up.

Can't wait to check it out at CanJam NYC and to share my impressions!!! Less than a month to go!

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #869 of 3,079

Do you already have IT01 and want to upgrade? Or do you consider buying it and want to know how it compares to flagships that cost 10x-20x more?

Either way, IT01 is great to start with and to spend some time before upgrading. Take baby steps, maybe consider IT03 (or the upcoming IT04) as an upgrade. Going to $1k-$2k flagship not gonna give you 10x-20x improvement in sound.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #870 of 3,079
I have DITA the Answer, and I agree with everything you say. I do like to IT01, but the DITA bests it in almost every way. The IT01 is a bit warmer, and might be a bit more organic. The DITA is 6 times the price of the IT01, so it's not a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back