iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #2,446 of 3,079
Do you generally believe in the burn in thing? It just doesn't sound right that an earphone needs upto 200 hours to evolve it's sound. To me it's a marketing ploy. Regarding how thin it is, I honest still think it's a bit thin on the thin side, but it does not necessarily always mean its a bad thing, as generally thinner midrange produce better clarity and crispness. Hmmmm, the wide tips seem to give me hardly any bass with a more thinner sound.

To be honest, I'm only going on what I've read here and from what Paul from iBasso said regarding burn in. But I don't know if burn in does work or not. :) I've not put in anywhere like 200 hours on mine and I'm really happy with the sound.

I'm absolutely amazed you're not getting much bass from the wide bore, that really surprises me. I'm getting really deep bass and sub bass and I'm not even using my FiiO amp at the moment, I'm just plugged direct into the laptop. However, wide bore or not, I find larger tips generally give me more bass than medium or small size. I'm also surprised you think the mids are thin. Can I ask, do you have them fitted in your ears correctly? Tonight there was a point where I was thinking, hmm, I was getting much more fullness earlier on. Somehow they weren't oriented correctly in my ears and after adjustment, all the fullness came back.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #2,447 of 3,079
If the bass is light then it very well could be the tips are not large enough and there is not a good seal and contact area. Too loose a fit and the bass will fade away. I use the medium wide bore tips and get good mids, that are not thin and a very solid bass response. The highs are just fine.. The IT01 is a lively IEM. Not neutral but I don't think it was supposed to be. But, without a good fit, the right tip, the sound they can produce will be missed. That is my opinion.

And yes they require burn-in. The driver gets a quicker and better flex to it, is what I imagine is going on. Violins are made of wood but they require a lot of use to break in. I used to play and if the violin is a good one, they develop with time and need to be played to stay in the groove.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #2,448 of 3,079
If the bass is light then it very well could be the tips are not large enough and there is not a good seal and contact area. Too loose a fit and the bass will fade away. I use the medium wide bore tips and get good mids, that are not thin and a very solid bass response. The highs are just fine.. The IT01 is a lively IEM. Not neutral but I don't think it was supposed to be. But, without a good fit, the right tip, the sound they can produce will be missed. That is my opinion.

And yes they require burn-in. The driver gets a quicker and better flex to it, is what I imagine is going on. Violins are made of wood but they require a lot of use to break in. I used to play and if the violin is a good one, they develop with time and need to be played to stay in the groove.
I did try them again at the store and found no changes in sound compare to my "supposed to be" burned in set that I bought 2 months ago. I mean it's a 10mm driver, how much can it change after 200 hours of burn in?

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,451 of 3,079
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,453 of 3,079
High impedance cable. Typical "silver upgrade" cable from china.

So true. The problem became less present when high gain is turned on. But then I'm losing clarity on some specific spot, or the high gain just put the recording imperfection under microscope? I'm saving up for a better balanced cable. I hope it's gonna be worth it.

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #2,455 of 3,079
Hey guys. If price wasn't a issue Which earplugs would you get ibasso it01 or fiio f9 pro?
I have both and would choose the iBasso over the Fiio. I like the F9 pros, but they are picky. I have to get them placed in ear just right, or it's a treble extravaganza. That said, I do find them slightly more comfortable to wear over a long listen. In general I prefer the sound signature of the iBasso.

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,456 of 3,079
I have both and would choose the iBasso over the Fiio. I like the F9 pros, but they are picky. I have to get them placed in ear just right, or it's a treble extravaganza. That said, I do find them slightly more comfortable to wear over a long listen. In general I prefer the sound signature of the iBasso.
Looks like ibasso is winning so far. Lol

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,457 of 3,079
Looks like ibasso is winning so far. Lol
I don't know if you're going to get an unbiased opinion in this thread. Of course, you'll get more pro Fiio votes in the F9 thread I'm sure. I will say this, I also have the F5 and prefer it over the F9 pros. They're a simpler set, but I really like the sound from them.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2,458 of 3,079
Hey guys. If price wasn't a issue Which earplugs would you get ibasso it01 or fiio f9 pro?

F9 Pro is more detailed with fast, punchy bass without a lot of rumble, nice vocals, but can be a bit hot in the treble.
IT01 is more musical and laid back, more bass rumble, warmer than the F9 Pro and polite treble.

F9 Pro shell has a better alloy build and feels more premium than the plastic IT01 shell, also a lot smaller and more comfortable for my small ears. IT01 has a great cable suited for home listening but not so much on the go, straight plug with no tension relief and loose braiding ,luckily both use MMCX so you can swap any cable you want . IT01 has a lot of driver flex, tried 2 different pairs, F9 Pro has none.

If you need a bright, detailed and fast IEM that's very comfortable F9 is the one. If you want a more laid back, bigger bass, musical IEM more suited for long listening sessions, get the IT01. Sound wise the only complain I have about the IT01 is that it could use a little more details, the complain I have about the F9 pro is that it's too hot in the treble.

Personally I prefer the F9 Pro over the IT01. I listen to a lot of metal and with a little EQ I find the energy and fast kicks on the F9 more satisfying. Also the shape and driver flex (even when I open my mouth sometimes) on the IT01 is pissing me off.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,459 of 3,079
F9 Pro is more detailed with fast, punchy bass without a lot of rumble, nice vocals, but can be a bit hot in the treble.
IT01 is more musical and laid back, more bass rumble, warmer than the F9 Pro and polite treble.

F9 Pro shell has a better alloy build and feels more premium than the plastic IT01 shell, also a lot smaller and more comfortable for my small ears. IT01 has a great cable suited for home listening but not so much on the go, straight plug with no tension relief and loose braiding ,luckily both use MMCX so you can swap any cable you want . IT01 has a lot of driver flex, tried 2 different pairs, F9 Pro has none.

If you need a bright, detailed and fast IEM that's very comfortable F9 is the one. If you want a more laid back, bigger bass, musical IEM more suited for long listening sessions, get the IT01. Sound wise the only complain I have about the IT01 is that it could use a little more details, the complain I have about the F9 pro is that it's too hot in the treble.

Personally I prefer the F9 Pro over the IT01. I listen to a lot of metal and with a little EQ I find the energy and fast kicks on the F9 more satisfying. Also the shape and driver flex (even when I open my mouth sometimes) on the IT01 is pissing me off.
Opening your mouth doesn't receive pressure. What you do is put the IT01 in at an angle, allowing the air to go by the tip as it is inserted and there is no flex. Very easy and effective. I have a couple of IEM's that are smaller than the IT01 but they don't stay in my ears as well but nothing will be 100% for everyone.

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,460 of 3,079
I also have to say, that getting no driver flex with IT01 takes some practice. Open jaw wide open and make small and gentle circular moves while pushing them inside with gentle pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back