iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Apr 16, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,891 of 3,079
I've done this for a different reason to get good fitment with a problem IEM but I'm thinking that this might help you out. Since you're not very likely to ever use a large sized tip sacrifice it to make extender rings. Turn the ear tip inside out and cut off just the portion that goes over the nozzle of the body. Cut that nozzle tube into 3 pieces (you could try 2 or 4 to change the amount of spacing). Put one of these nozzle rings into the nozzle before you put on the ear tip you want to use. This will move its opening away from the end of the nozzle but should still leave enough of the nozzle for the ear tip to stay attached properly. I've done this when I've had IEMs with a very short nozzle and needed just a bit more depth from the ear tip for good comfortable fitment but the same process seems to me to be able to solve the problem for you.

Great advice!!

Keyboard orings work perfectly too. They come 100 or more for well under $1, and are a consistent thickness. No cutting or sacrificing eartips involved :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #1,892 of 3,079
Keyboard orings work perfectly too. They come 100 or more for well under $1, and are a consistent thickness. No cutting or sacrificing eartips involved :)
Thanks, I have scoured Amazon for o rings for that purpose, but couldn't find any that I thought were just right, and they cost considerably more than a dollar. Your comment prompted me to Google "keyboard o rings", and there they were, with an inner diameter diameter of 5.17mm, and a thickness of 1.51mm:

100Pcs Rubber O-Ring Switch Dampeners White For Cherry MX Keyboard

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,893 of 3,079
Got these to replace the RE-400s I use at work and I'm pretty disappointed, though it's really on me. Not disappointed in the sound, in fact I enjoy it quite a bit, but unfortunately the nozzles are just too wide and long to be comfortable in my small and-probably-oddly-angled ear canals. I can deal ok enough with wide nozzles but these things are pretty long too, so they just sit very uncomfortably in my ear (I can actually feel the nozzle). Using a tip that keeps the nozzle away from my ear has the unfortunate effect of making the rest of my ear uncomfortable from the housing pushing on it (in order to have both inner and outer ear comfort means a pretty crappy position that doesn't yield great sound).

Real shame, the sound signature is kinda what I was looking for but I really should have put more effort into looking at the nozzles first (knew they took T-500 comply tips; I've worn T-400 sized nozzles without issue but those have been much shorter nozzles).
That is one of the main things that has made me hold off on buying them. I had that experience with the KEF M100s. The nozzle is thick, and I had to use the smallest eartips- 10-11mm instead of my usual 13-14mm- to get them to stay in my ears, and I could feel the nozzles to the point of pain.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,894 of 3,079
Tried this out at the local store and loved it, anyone who wants to part out can slide into my DM’s

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,895 of 3,079
actually, i opined that the a73 may be a little smoother and less fatiguing than the it01, which is sparklier and more analytical. i would say the it01 has more impactful, articulate bass, though it's not a night and day difference. overall, the two have more similarities than differences and i can't honestly say one is significantly better than the other.

Can you or anyone else please expand in more detail A73 vs IT01.
I already have the A73 and now thinking the IT01 will end up being a side grade.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,896 of 3,079
Can you or anyone else please expand in more detail A73 vs IT01.
I already have the A73 and now thinking the IT01 will end up being a side grade.
the a73 is warmer and to my ears has a little more natural, analog-sounding tonality; the IT01 has better-etched bass, a bit more treble emphasis and might be a little more coherent overall, although again they are quite similar, as both are full-sounding, immersive and have excellent instrument separation. in terms of quality, they're a coin flip--for a different flavor in the same price range i'd look at the musicmaker tk13 or perhaps the lz a4.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,897 of 3,079
the a73 is warmer and to my ears has a little more natural, analog-sounding tonality; the IT01 has better-etched bass, a bit more treble emphasis and might be a little more coherent overall, although again they are quite similar, as both are full-sounding, immersive and have excellent instrument separation. in terms of quality, they're a coin flip--for a different flavor in the same price range i'd look at the musicmaker tk13 or perhaps the lz a4.

Even though I have and love the IT01, I just now had to order the A73 when I saw it for £49 on amazon uk. The perils of reading headfi posts... I also ordered a funny looking little green £10 Fidue (A31s).

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,899 of 3,079
Even though I have and love the IT01, I just now had to order the A73 when I saw it for £49 on amazon uk. The perils of reading headfi posts... I also ordered a funny looking little green £10 Fidue (A31s).
49L (which i think is $60 in real money) is a great price--the a73 is still one of my all-time faves. i've only heard the a31 for a minute and it wasn't memorable, but otto has been raving about the a65, which looks intriguiging.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,903 of 3,079
i've now spent enough time with the it01 to conclude that it really is worthy of the mega-hype--it's a perfect piece for my lowbrow sensibilities in that it's easy to drive, isolates great and sounds good with less-than-perfect sources. at the same price point the simgot en700 and se-ch9t do certain things better (and others not as well) but i rank these in the top tier.

hello loomis and everybody else :),

first post - new to this forum, and unfortunately... my english is really bad :blush:.

I read about the MusicMaker TK-12 on your website for the first time and was immediately "in love" because of your excited review :L3000:... but then i came across this thread and the IT01 seems to be the "new star" if one is looking for an IEM for about 100 bucks. Well, now i don't know if i should get the TK-12 or the IT01.

One important point for me is the big soundstage the TK-12 can deliver, though I am a little unsure if it has to much bass for me. Highs are important to me too, why I even thought about the Kinera HD 3, but I don't mind to use an EQ to "boost" the highs if they are to quiet for me (or to tame the bass if it is to loud for me).

Usually a listen to "easy" music like Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, Nick Cave, Tori Amos or Eva Cassidy, but I like stuff like Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana or Marilyn Manson also very much.

If it is possible, could you please explain the sonis differences between the TK-12 and the IT01??? It would be very helpful for me.

Until recently I had the Dunu Titan 1, really nice, but someone "convinced me" in a rude way I should give it to him :triportsad: . (The main reason why I like the TK-12 is becaouse I hope that the soundstange could even be better then from the Titan 1.)

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,904 of 3,079

I don’t think I will like the IT01 as the highs on the A73 are already at my limits. Also the A73 being warmer than IT01 is also not a positive. Best I give it a miss if I know what’s good for me.
Any chance you have experience with E300 or Tin Audio T2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back