iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Mar 20, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #451 of 864
Paul/iBasso,

I just received my DX90.  I just love the sound quality which is improving with burn in.  I like the big buttons which work fine for me and have no major complaints with the UI either.  

To get files on the DX90 I have been taking my apple lossless artist folders from my itunes directory on my MacPro hard drive and dragging them to either the internal storage or the micro SD card. (Scandisk Ultra Plus 32GB) I am running firmware V2.1.8 which i downloaded and installed via the iBasso site. 

I have encountered  a bug or odd playback behavior.   My comments are based on repeatable issues.

Song transitions when in gapless playback mode

When transferring from track to track there is an ~ 2 second chunk of the song lopped off or conversely the next track starts 2 seconds before the previous track has ended.  Example - Pink Floyd Discovery Box Set - The Wall Disc 1 and 2, Dark Side of the Moon.   Virtually every song transition exhibited the behavior.   

The issue was very pronounced, an audible "pop" or "click"...  a kind of sharp cutoff and the an abrupt commencement of following track.   On a hunch I did a media rescan and the issue became less pronounced (less pop or click), but the 2 sec. transition issue remained.   I kept an eye on the track timer so I could see when the cutover happened relative the to total track time listed.  It seemed to be at 2sec less than the total track time when the cut happens.  To ensure I didn't have any issue with the file being shortened for some reason during import,  I tuned off gapless playback to see if the tracks would play to completion.   They sometimes did and sometimes did not. (mostly did)  That said, after switching back to gapless playback after playing the track without it a couple times, the transition became smooth.   This seems totally odd to me.  It happens on the external card every time but on the internal card it was less frequent but still happened.  (very noticeable on On Dark Side Of The Moon between Any Color You Like and Brain Damage) The "fix" above worked on that transition as well. 

So... is it an issue with reading the drives, an issue with the gapless playback buffer or something else?  Can anyone verify this behavior and the subsequent change in behavior after multiple plays in non-gapless playback then switching back to gapless playback?  I imagine for Classical listeners this would be a constant issue.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #452 of 864
Hi all,

i'm new to this forum. I've recently purchased an IBASSO DX90, using the firmware 2.1.5-L2 now. The forward button shows a weird behavior, it doesn't skip to the next track but selects randomly different tracks of the folder, the previous button works fine, also the forward button on the screen. I observed the same behavior with stock firmware 2.1.8, too. I've performed a factory reset for several times and also rescanned the library from scratch. This is really annoying to me, since I cannot skip to the next track while having the player in my pocket. Does anybody of you observed a similar behavior?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Rainer

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #456 of 864
  Paul/iBasso,

I just received my DX90.  I just love the sound quality which is improving with burn in.  I like the big buttons which work fine for me and have no major complaints with the UI either.  

To get files on the DX90 I have been taking my apple lossless artist folders from my itunes directory on my MacPro hard drive and dragging them to either the internal storage or the micro SD card. (Scandisk Ultra Plus 32GB) I am running firmware V2.1.8 which i downloaded and installed via the iBasso site. 

I have encountered  a bug or odd playback behavior.   My comments are based on repeatable issues.

When transferring from track to track there is an ~ 2 second chunk of the song lopped off or conversely the next track starts 2 seconds before the previous track has ended.  Example - Pink Floyd Discovery Box Set - The Wall Disc 1 and 2, Dark Side of the Moon.   Virtually every song transition exhibited the behavior.   

The issue was very pronounced, an audible "pop" or "click"...  a kind of sharp cutoff and the an abrupt commencement of following track.   On a hunch I did a media rescan and the issue became less pronounced (less pop or click), but the 2 sec. transition issue remained.   I kept an eye on the track timer so I could see when the cutover happened relative the to total track time listed.  It seemed to be at 2sec less than the total track time when the cut happens.  To ensure I didn't have any issue with the file being shortened for some reason during import,  I tuned off gapless playback to see if the tracks would play to completion.   They sometimes did and sometimes did not. (mostly did)  That said, after switching back to gapless playback after playing the track without it a couple times, the transition became smooth.   This seems totally odd to me.  It happens on the external card every time but on the internal card it was less frequent but still happened.  (very noticeable on On Dark Side Of The Moon between Any Color You Like and Brain Damage) The "fix" above worked on that transition as well. 

So... is it an issue with reading the drives, an issue with the gapless playback buffer or something else?  Can anyone verify this behavior and the subsequent change in behavior after multiple plays in non-gapless playback then switching back to gapless playback?  I imagine for Classical listeners this would be a constant issue.

Thanks.

Did you do a factory reset? 

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #457 of 864
It may be a problem with mechanical contact on the board. I have sent you a PM.

Good day. I have experienced exactly the same problems with my DX90. Actually, exaxtly the same problems experienced by Rainer. Is there a convenient solution to this ? It will be burdensome for me to return the unit since I have to go back to Hong Kong to be able to do so. Your assistance is highly appreciated. Thank you. P.S. By the way, I really enjoy the SQ of the DX90.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #458 of 864
Paul/iBasso,

Thanks.

Are you using slow or sharp roll off? If slow, try sharp to see if the pop/click goes. It did for me but there were so many other problems for me, I went back to 2.1.5.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #459 of 864
Good day. I have exactly the same problem With my dx90. I did the same process you did and had the same result. Have you resolved the problem? Thanks in advance.

Hi, it seems not to be a software issue.I was requested to return my device for repair or replacement. I didn't decide yet to do so, because i live in germany and shipment would cost around 50 euro so i'm still thinking wether to live with it or not. In regard of the gapless problems i had the same problems with stock firmware 2.1.5 and 2.1.8. With the modded fw 2.1.5-L2 these problems are gone, gapless works fine now without any glitches or clicks inbetween the tracks.

Rainer

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #460 of 864
Hi all,

i'm new to this forum. I've recently purchased an IBASSO DX90, using the firmware 2.1.5-L2 now. The forward button shows a weird behavior, it doesn't skip to the next track but selects randomly different tracks of the folder, the previous button works fine, also the forward button on the screen. I observed the same behavior with stock firmware 2.1.8, too. I've performed a factory reset for several times and also rescanned the library from scratch. This is really annoying to me, since I cannot skip to the next track while having the player in my pocket. Does anybody of you observed a similar behavior?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Rainer

This might be the same or similar problem as I have. Is it only when playing a foldef for the first time? What happens if you stop. play again. forward backward several times. maybe stop and play again?

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #462 of 864
Are you using slow or sharp roll off? If slow, try sharp to see if the pop/click goes. It did for me but there were so many other problems for me, I went back to 2.1.5.

to be clear when I did the media rescan the audible noise diminieshed greatly.   Changing the digital filter had no impact on the pop or track trasition.  I am doing a factory reset now.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #464 of 864
Thanks for your reply Rainer. Likewise, I will have to ship it back or go back to Hong Kong to have it repaired or replaced. Hopefully, the wind direction will change and a possible firmware update will rectify the problem. { Fingers crossed}

Jhong

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #465 of 864
My DX90 with 2.1.8L0 stops during shuffle play every so often and reboots. I can´t find out which files cause that. After reboot the same file is ready to play as on last reboot. This never happened before with 2.1.5L2. Unfortunately I bought a second DX90 before 2.1.8 arrived, but don´t want to switch back to 2.1.5L2 since I like the sound characteristic of 2.1.8L0 with my T5p and CKR9. My library consists of MP3, M4a, FLAC and AIFF. After pressing "my music", I wait for about 30 seconds before a response, then if I press artist, I wait another 20 seconds, scrolling is a hit or miss, the screen is oversensitive, can´t be read in sunlight...the SW is a dilemma. I sent one of the DX90´s to Sanmigel for his mod, it arrives back any day now. If I knew 2.1.8 is such a problem I would have saved my money for something else. Should there be same SW problems in the next FW update, I will discard the DX90s and find a better product. I intended to use one on my motorbike, but having to restart the damn thing all the time during a ride is totally unsafe and misses the purpose. So, Ibasso, get to work and create something that really works, Apple seems to know how to do that - hard but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back