Ibasso DX80
Nov 16, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #781 of 1,208
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #783 of 1,208

Also you can't output DSD from the digital out from DX80.
Hope there is a feature for this in future firmware.

I can't output DSD with a coaxial?
Gee.

Yup. You can't output DSD on both coaxial and optical from DX80.
I too was initially thinking that I missed out to enable something on the player while I connected it to Hugo.
Other hires files would work normally out though.

I wonder how difficult it is to implement a DoP output on S/PDIF.
Is there any other DAPs that can do this functionality, so that it can be used as a DSD transport?

I wouldn't have mind even if it was downsampling to PCM only but now nothing comes out at all.

I want to like the DX80, and am seriously considering buying one, but not being capable of playing DSD at all, over D-O, is unacceptable. I'm not a big DSD fan, but one of the major selling points of the DX80 is its inclusion of optical and co-ax D-O - the prospect of not being able to use that functionality with any DSD files I might buy, is absurd, (even though I admit I did not used to care much about DSD).

I suppose this may be related to the Cirrus DAC chip processing DSD natively, unlike competing chips that convert to PCM by default (AFAIK), but A&K have managed to handle DSD over optical, in their Cirrus-based DAPs, so I don't see why iBasso haven't.  I'm really hoping this can be solved with a firmware update, but I'm not optimistic about it, so, consequently, I'm seriously concerned, right now, that the DX80 might be an epic fail. I really hope not.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #784 of 1,208
  I'm really hoping this can be solved with a firmware update, but I'm not optimistic about it, so, consequently, I'm seriously concerned, right now, that the DX80 might be an epic fail. I really hope not.

Epic fail? Seems a little dramatic. Have you heard it? 

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #785 of 1,208
  I'm really hoping this can be solved with a firmware update, but I'm not optimistic about it, so, consequently, I'm seriously concerned, right now, that the DX80 might be an epic fail. I really hope not.

If the lack of DSD output via S/PDIF is seriously concerning to you then maybe you should try another DAP, because it doesn't make sense to be lugging around the large bulk of DX80 which is the amp section. I've seen somewhere that Fiio X5 (or X5-II?) outputs DSD converted as 88.2kHz PCM over S/PDIF, though I haven't tried it myself.

I don't know of any DAPs that supports DoP output so I would like to know if there is one around.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #786 of 1,208
Hold on...

You both seem to think that I don't want this DAP to succeed or am being unreasonable.

I do want it to succeed, and I'm not being unreasonable.

I don't deny that it may sound great as a solo device, and for many people, that will be sufficient (to some extent, I am one such person).

My point is simply that a DAP which is blatantly being very serious about being a potential transport (those 2 D-Os didn't get there by accident) and which has DSD-capable circuitry, is (unless a fix is forthcoming) drastically failing by not successfully marrying the 2 capabilities together. iBasso know that having 2 D-O options is a relatively unique and luxury feature that many people will prefer over other DAPs offering only one, or none. They wouldn't have bothered to include 2 different D-Os if they weren't trying to be competitive. It renders the D-Os half-baked for people who are serious enough to care about using a DAC and who will most certainly wish to play back DSD files to their high performance DAC at some point (even if they prefer native PCM files to native DSD files, some audiophile albums are mastered to DSD). I do understand that the transport would have to manipulate the DSD data rather than sending it out natively over the D-O, but, one way or another, a DSD-capable DAP should be able to get the music from a DSD file to the ears of their customers via at least one of the D-Os, or I foresee quite a number of DX80 customers being caught out by this issue.

If you doubt me, then stop by the Mojo thread and you will find that I actually did iBasso a favour by suggesting to Mojo owners that they consider the DX80 as a viable transport. I am now having to eat my words and warn them about the DSD issue. The Mojo is selling by the thousands and the DX80 would have been a great partner for it (lots of AK100ii have been snapped-up by Mojo owners, over the past few weeks).

Such a pity.

If I see that this issue has been rectified, with a firmware patch, then I assure you I'll happily let Mojo owners know about it, but until then, a DAP that can natively play DSD, and has 2 D-Os, yet isn't capable of marrying the two features is, to be frank, quite a big fail, and it pains me to say that, as I like iBasso, generally. Making DSD playable just over optical would be fine; doesn't have to be both D-Os, just as long as it manages to do it over one of them.

SIGH... I suppose a DX80 owner could use Weiss Saracon or Izotope (etc.) to convert all DSD files to PCM, and then load the card with that, but it's a lot of hassle.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #787 of 1,208
  Hold on...

You both seem to think that I don't want this DAP to succeed or am being unreasonable.

I don't deny that it may sound great as a solo device, and for many people, that will be sufficient (to some extent, I am one such person).

My point is simply that a DAP which is blatantly being very serious about being a potential transport (those 2 D-Os didn't get there by accident) and which has DSD-capable circuitry, is (unless a fix is forthcoming) drastically failing by not successfully marrying the 2 capabilities together. iBasso know that having 2 D-O options is a relatively unique and luxury feature that many people will prefer over other DAPs offering only one, or none. They wouldn't have bothered to include 2 different D-Os if they weren't trying to be competitive. It renders the D-Os half-baked for people who are serious enough to care about using a DAC and who will most certainly wish to play back DSD files to their high performance DAC at some point (even if they prefer native PCM files to native DSD files, some audiophile albums are mastered to DSD). I do understand that the transport would have to manipulate the DSD data rather than sending it out natively over the D-O, but, one way or another, a DSD-capable DAP should be able to get the music from a DSD file to the ears of their customers via at least one of the D-Os, or I foresee quite a number of DX80 customers being caught out by this issue.

If you doubt me, then stop by the Mojo thread and you will find that I actually did iBasso a favour by suggesting to Mojo owners that they consider the DX80 as a viable transport. I am now having to eat my words and warn them about the DSD issue. The Mojo is selling by the thousands and the DX80 would have been a great partner for it (lots of AK100ii have been snapped-up by Mojo owners, over the past few weeks).

Such a pity.

If I see that this issue has been rectified, with a firmware patch, then I assure you I'll happily let Mojo owners know about it, but until then, a DAP that can natively play DSD, and has 2 D-Os, yet isn't capable of marrying the two features is, to be frank, quite a big fail, and it pains me to say that, as I like iBasso, generally. Making DSD playable just over optical would be fine; doesn't have to be both D-Os, just as long as it manages to do it over one of them.

SIGH... I suppose a DX80 owner could use Weiss Saracon or Izotope (etc.) to convert all DSD files to PCM, and then load the card with that, but it's a lot of hassle.

Since you are talking about Chord, they have stated in the past that they prefer PCM over DSD. Be that the case and the DX80 does PCM in hi res, I don't see the issue if you are talking about quality sound, since Chord promotes PCM as their preference in sound quality. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #788 of 1,208

Hold on...

Such a pity.

Since you are talking about Chord, they have stated in the past that they prefer PCM over DSD. Be that the case and the DX80 does PCM in hi res, I don't see the issue if you are talking about quality sound, since Chord promotes PCM as their preference in sound quality. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #789 of 1,208
Look, at the very least, IF the DX80 proves to be incapable of playing DSD, in any way shape or form, over any of the D-Os, then iBasso should be CLEARLY and explicitly warning potential customers about it, in the DX80 specs, on their website.

I'm not trying to scupper DX80 sales, here. I'm just saying it's a recipe for irate customers and pages of angry disappointment, if the situation isn't clearly explained prior to purchase.

Believe me, I will be very happy if there is a firmware patch for this - I'd love to buy a DX80 instead of anything from AK, to feed a Mojo at some point.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #790 of 1,208
If the lack of DSD output via S/PDIF is seriously concerning to you then maybe you should try another DAP, because it doesn't make sense to be lugging around the large bulk of DX80 which is the amp section. I've seen somewhere that Fiio X5 (or X5-II?) outputs DSD converted as 88.2kHz PCM over S/PDIF, though I haven't tried it myself.

I don't know of any DAPs that supports DoP output so I would like to know if there is one around.

I have the fiio x3 ii and cowon p1 that are able to output the DSD files.
The sound quality from dx80 is definitely better than the fiio x3 ii.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #792 of 1,208
I thought that both Fiio and Cowon doesn't output DSD (DoP) but instead converts them to 88.2kHz PCM for S/PDIF.
In any case it's better than nothing.

Yes. To my understanding you will not get true DSD from coaxial or optical but only possible through USB or HDMI?

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #793 of 1,208
Yes. To my understanding you will not get true DSD from coaxial or optical but only possible through USB or HDMI?

On some devices (not DX80), you can send true DSD from coaxial or optical by an industry standard called DoP (DSD over PCM).

There are some desktop units that can do this(e.g. Resonessence Concero HD can output DoP by coax S/PDIF).
I am aware that some DAPs output DSD as converted PCM, but right now I don't know of any DAP that can output DoP.

In any case, the concern some people are having is that there is neither DoP or PCM converted S/PDIF output on DX80, so you can't listen to DSD files when DX80 is used as a S/PDIF transport.

Personally I have 64GB SD card full of DSD files so that functionality would have been nice, but I don't care too much because I am happy with the DSD playback on DX80 alone without a need for additional DAC/amps.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #794 of 1,208

On some devices (not DX80), you can send true DSD from coaxial or optical by an industry standard called DoP (DSD over PCM).

There are some desktop units that can do this(e.g. Resonessence Concero HD can output DoP by coax S/PDIF).
I am aware that some DAPs output DSD as converted PCM, but right now I don't know of any DAP that can output DoP.

In any case, the concern some people are having is that there is neither DoP or PCM converted S/PDIF output on DX80, so you can't listen to DSD files when DX80 is used as a S/PDIF transport.

Personally I have 64GB SD card full of DSD files so that functionality would have been nice, but I don't care too much because I am happy with the DSD playback on DX80 alone without a need for additional DAC/amps.

Hi ,

Can advise where to get DSD file?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #795 of 1,208
  Hi ,

Can advise where to get DSD file?

Thanks

If you want to get a sample DSD file to try out, then the record label "2L" has some good free sample downloads. They have the same recording available in various formats, so it's fun for comparison. These are used in many shop and Hi-Fi show demos so it's good to keep them as a reference. 

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Otherwise, there are lots of online shops that are either dedicated to native DSD files (such as https://www.nativedsd.com/) or shops that sell DSD download equivalents of the SACD releases, like Acoustic Sounds (http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez).

Other major download shops like HDTracks and ProStudioMasters have some albums available on DSD.

Remember that DSD doesn't necessarily mean that it sounds good, so don't get fooled by marketing fads. Most companies want to advertise DSD capability because it's a buzz word.
The best approach is probably to buy the albums in their native formats, depending on whether they were recorded and edited in PCM or as DSD.

One major benefit of DSD is that there is a wealth of old analogue tapes and some new recordings that were transferred to DSD for SACD releases back a decade ago, and these are being slowly sold off as download files in the last couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back